Code of Conduct

Default Which house could put you off perfume forever?

The other day I was reading a review of a new limited edition of Jean Paul Gaultier Ma Dame and it occurred to me that there is not a single scent in the whole of that line that I like. So much so, that if you compelled me only to wear JPG scents for the rest of my days, I would simply have to give up wearing perfume altogether, unthinkable as that now seems, given the vast array of choices I have got used to.

There are other houses which I know to have very slim pickings, and where this doesn't surprise me particularly eg Hugo Boss, Vivienne Westwood, Britney Spears!, Van Cleef & Arpels and Ghost; others with relatively slim pickings, where I am in fact surprised and disappointed, because of the status of the brand and breadth of their offering eg YSL, Thierry Mugler, Givenchy and Bond No 9; and others again where I perceive that there would be slim pickings if I were to explore further, extrapolating from the few deeply offputting experiences I have already had, which seem to point to a house style that isn't my cup of tea eg Montale, Czech & Speake, Parfums de Nicolai.

So, then... is there any house that could turn you off your hobby completely if you could only wear scents from that line?

Or would you like to comment on brands that offer next to no potential, or less than you would expect for whatever reason? Or perhaps share your rational and/or irrational prejudices about the houses which you steer clear of or which are simply not on your radar.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 27th June 2009 at 10:52 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Which house could put you off perfume forever?

Michael Kors
    Marc Jacobs
    Victor & Rolf
    Alexander McQueen
    Evenstar

With the recent mauling of Octavian, on his Blog by the Legal freaks from LVMH, I am no longer interested in any way with the house of Guerlain.

I'd like to conduct protests at department stores because of this incident...

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...tacked-me.html

Paul Kiler

I agree with what has been posted, with the exception of Montale, PdN, and, to a certain extent, Givenchy and Guerlain.

Adding:

Serge Lutens -- I haven't sampled widely, I admit, but, to borrow VM's words, I don't respond to the style of the house as a whole

Keiko Mecheri (pardon misspellings) -- same comments apply
    Last edited by Leesee; 28th June 2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: more to say

There is a lot of houses which i dont LIKE. But theres only one that i absolutely hate, and would never wear fragrance again if all fragance in the world are like ones from this house....

L'ARTISAN

Hate at first smell.

But thats all i could think off now
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Basenotes Institution

I do not like any Hugo Boss scents. Believe me, I've tried.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The three houses I have consistently had problems with are Yves Rocher, Avon and Tauer. They all give me splitting headaches--complete non-starters.

Edit to say--no, there are four--the fourth is Escentric. And Ormonde Jayne may have problems, but the jury is still out on that house!
    Last edited by Asha; 28th June 2009 at 04:27 AM.

Blog Entries

I've tried a bunch of Keiko Meicheri & I just don't get it .

Not a single Dior or Gucci scent has ever agreed with me.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have to agree about the Gaultier, but my personal enemy is the House of Gres. I have to take Turin's word that the ghastly Cabochard was at one point wearable. Then we have Cabaret, which I do recognize gets some love around the forums. It was a terrible sooty thing on me; it singed.

If I hated Fracas, then the award would have gone to Piguet for the execrable Bandit (I guess I am simply not the whip-and-mask leather type and wimp out with suede). But I love Fracas for its shaggy vetiver and I've been wearing it for years.

Caron also bears examination: It makes two of my favorite frags (TB and Farnesiana) and one shocker of a jasmine/crystallized pineapple scent but the rest, including Nuit de Noel, cause varying degrees of distaste. I particuarly cannot tolerate Parfum Sacre's handbang lining. I do not remotely think I am smelling a Baroque and golden incense; the heavens are not moving and the foundations of Christianity are not reaffirmed in the acolyte's bosom. PS smells to me of very old-fashioned cosmetics.
    Last edited by Orion; 28th June 2009 at 04:58 AM.

Anything from the house of Escada.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

"One / few loves" perfume houses
    From Dior - I like only Poison and Miss Dior
    From YSL - only NU edp
    Caron - only Tabac Blond

No love at all for (I tried, believe me and apologize to those who love them)
    Calvin Klein
    Estee Lauder
    Montale (aoud or non-aoud are not my style but I appreciate them as they are)
    Avon
    Elisabeth Arden
    Givenchy * pending - on my test list is Givenchy III
    Gucci
    Last edited by anais; 28th June 2009 at 05:58 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Must add Versace, Escada and Givenchy on my list.

I won't add Estée Lauder, though, because I really appreciate Youth Dew, Private Collection and Knowing, even though I can't imagine myself wearing any EL scents.

I don't like the majority of Calvin Klein scents but I do love Obsession, Sheer Obsession was also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Anything from the house of Escada.
    SO true.

I was sorta casting about for a house whose scents I would not wear even if atomic war wiped all other houses - hell, this house's scents wouldn't even blink if that atom bomb dropped. They already smell radioactive. Yikes.

I really have found no love with Montale, but then again I suppose I could learn to if pressed.
    Miller Harris, though... I'll pass. Really have not liked at all those I've sampled. Except maaaybe Terre de Bois. Maybe.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Then we have Cabaret, which I do recognize gets some love around the forums. It was a terrible sooty thing on me;
    I so agree about Cabaret - it is indeed sooty and I have given all my samples of it to good homes.

Caron is another house I could have added to the "slim pickings for the size of the range" category. Most are too sweet / powdery / generally fuzzy. "Old fashioned cosmetics" is a good analogy.

And I forgot to add Etat Libre d'Orange in the "extrapolated from offputting" category. Tried Putain and Divin' Enfant and don't want to go near any others. Re CB I hate perfume, Memory of Tomato Stems killed my curiosity, thinking about it, though I am grateful for the name!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th June 2009 at 09:36 AM.

Houses that would put me off entirely:
    Avon (synthetic in an unpleasant way; headache-y)
    Piguet (sorry to those whom their scents suit. For me they're all quite wrong)
    Escada
    Prada (Prada "new" is passable, but seems cheap and thin in comparison to its equivalent scents. The infusion scents are not particularly impressive, imo. The house-style of perfumery seems anorexic).
    Versace
    Agent Provocateur (not my style of scent)
    Cartier (their scents don't seem to agree with me)
    Paul Smith (both scents I've owned from here left my wardrobe: one to a friend, one in the bin. The style of scent is wrong for me. Like their clothes though)
    Elizabeth Arden (overkill: I used to work for them when I first came to UK. At a push, could probably wear one or two from them)
    Kylie Minogue (love the pop diva; the scents are sickly)
    Jade Goody
    (and probably lots of other celebrity scents under various manufacturers)
    Last edited by Nukapai; 28th June 2009 at 11:04 AM.

Love Potion Magical Perfumerie - they use a base that is probably lovely on other people and smells like wet cardboard on me. Permeates the entire line - and it's a HUGE line.

Amouage. Yes - I KNOW they use fine ingredients. But with the exception of Jubilation XXV, the whole line smells atrocious on me.

If every perfumer on the face of the earth disappeared except for one - if Jean Claude Ellena was left, I may have problems. I'm sure it's just me, but his perfumes smell really thin and hollow on my skin. Even my two favorites of his - L'eau d'Hiver and Bois Farine - are not scents I crave or go racing to look for again.

Just let me know where I need to turn in my perfumista card.....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I doubt ANY house could put me off perfume forever, but:

Lacoste - I´d prefer a good soap
    L´Artisan - awkward, not wearable (with the exception of Mure et Musc Extreme)
    Demeter - but I guess they are meant as room sprays...
    The Different Company - what has this got to do with perfume...

Basenotes Plus

Calvin Klein.

Quote Originally Posted by sakecat22 View Post

Amouage. Yes - I KNOW they use fine ingredients... the whole line smells atrocious...
    I'm SOOOO with sakecat on this one. Let's not forget "Paris Hilton" - IF you can even call what smells she has her name branded onto 'fragrance'!

I agree with almost everything here! I'm also a bit of a snob so I will stay away from not only Paris Hiltons, but Britney Spears's things, as well as Queen Latifah, Sean John, and Daddy Yankee. I don't hate all celebs, I do like JLos frags!

Caron and I haven't been good friends either, and I'd also like to add MPG...no luck there either. Aside from one or two AAs, Apres l'Ondee, and Iris Ganache, I've been unlucky with Guerlain. I know, I know, I'm sure many are gasping now!

DSH is another I've given up on. The House of Skank just isn't for me, aside from Cimabue, of course :-)

Maison Berdoues, just too heavy, and the Satellite range has been too busy for me.

Although I'm still dying to try Mangiamo Dopo Teatro, I've had pooooooooor luck with Hilde Soliani.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I usually find true love and total disappointment withinn single houses: l'Artisn, Etat librre, Amouage, Avon, Calvin Klein, Serge Lutens, MPG. Caron (there is one that I love). Guerlain, Freideric Malle, Estee Lauder. Chanel (well, there is very little Chanel I like), etc., etc., etc.

HOWEVER

If SJPs Lovely and Covet had been the first perfumes I ever smelled I would have stopped right there. Both makes me feel slightly nauseated.

Anything for women by Thierry Mugler is enough to make me stop wearing perfume for a month.

Likewise, I've never smelled a Lancome that I wanted to wear.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 30th June 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Lancome - good one, Nostalgie. A big name with very little to show for it except the wonderful Cuir, that is...Haven't forgiven them for reformulating Magie Noire. : - (

Regarding Calvin Klein, I would add it to the "slim pickings" group, because CK Truth is an exception (a watery, green, woody floral) - and much overlooked.

Nukapai mentioned Jade Goody - oh my goodness, yes. Don't mention Shhhhhh!, which I was once obliged to use as emergency bathroom freshener after my friend served a particularly vicious vindaloo.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 28th June 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I dislike celeb perfumes I think - Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and I don't like Calvin Klein .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I boycott all celeb frags so I don't even count them as houses...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Exactly and well put !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Them's fightin' words 'round here, missy!
    (I totally concur, BTW.)

Caron
    Serge Lutens

Cartier
    Estée Lauder
    Thierry Mugler

Serge Lutens, if Miel de Bois had been the first & only one I tried. I have several favorites from SL now, though.
    Sniff and let sniff.

For me, it's Guerlain...I utterly hate powder and I've yet to find anything from them that doesn't smell like a baby's butt on me. And Escada, their stuff literally makes me nauseous when I smell it.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by inscentiable View Post
    For me, it's Guerlain...I utterly hate powder and I've yet to find anything from them that doesn't smell like a baby's butt on me. And Escada, their stuff literally makes me nauseous when I smell it.
    That would be my 3rd choice, as Guerlinade and I are not friends. I have one FB bottle that I can wear, and it's still not one I reach for often- Vol de Nuit.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I've tried a bunch of Keiko Meicheri & I just don't get it .
    I completely agree there!

Personally, I would only elect celebrity fragrances...

Bond.

Caron (I have never tried the original formulas thoguh)
    L'artisan Parfumeur

I've sampled a lot from these lines, but I've never found anything interesting enough for a full wearing.

Guerlain.

I hear you!

I could perhaps have used the word "brand" instead of house to be more all-encompassing, though "brand" sounds too modern and commercial somehow to apply to the more established names like Caron etc.

Hmm...personally I would consider Jennifer Lopez to be a valid "brand" of perfume - but would not class her as a "house". And some of the celebrity perfumes barely qualify as a brand.

Semantics is a tricky business.

Ditto!
    Also Vesace and Annick Goutal (for some reason their fragrances never sit well with me )

Celeb scents, as a general rule. Hard to take them seriously.

Caron - I have not had the opportunity to try the older formulations, but I'm a bit disappointed with most of what's out there now.

Annick Goutal - These are a bit hard for me to wear, with the exception of Heure Exquise, which I love dearly. In small doses, I like them, but doubt if I will ever LOVE them, for the most part. With more wears, though, I may like them more as time goes on. Who knows?

Diptyque - lots of strange fragrances, some I like (Oyedo), some not so much. More exploring needed here before passing judgement, though.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

For me it would have to be almost all. It is easier to list houses that are acceptable.

But if I had to use an example, I will use two of my favorite houses that really, have sickened me with what they have become.

Caron
    Guerlain

If I had to go by what they are pumping out to the marketplace along with reformulations, I would probably just use a splash of any random "Eau de Bienfait" in place of a "fragrance".

One has decided to release pastry essence to the world, the other has decided that everyone should smell of dish-cleansing liquid.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Same here
    ~ Anais ~

I must add a few:
    Prada
    Versace
    Dolce & Gabanna
    Giorgio Armani (except the discontinued Mania pour femme which I like a lot).

I mentioned Montale - I think the problem is my skin. They turn awkward on me. I might love Montale on somebody else. Black Aoud on a guy. Mmmmm....
    Last edited by anais; 29th June 2009 at 08:12 PM.
    ~ Anais ~

Perhaps I just really enjoy perfumery, but I think I'd prefer Axe Vetyver body spray over nothing. Sure, there are plenty of houses from which I've found nothing worth buying, but that doesn't mean id prefer nothing.

I haven't liked any of the Diors I've tried, or Calvin Klein.

Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Same here

The few Montale's I have tried all smell cloying...even simpering on me. Very disappointing. I cannot think of a Calvin Klein that has passed muster, and I tried, I truly did. Ralph Lauren hasn't pleased since Safari, and Mr. Mugler is on my black list for making every 19 year old tart in the mall smell like toffee.

I want to like Guerlain. I just haven't found a Guerlain scent that I can stomach yet. Yet.

I seem most in tune with the house philosophy of Serge Lutens, and Chanel, too, if we pretend that Allure and Chance never happened. They didn't, did they?

Well, these houses wouldn't put me off perfume completely, but I haven't clicked with the following:

Serge Lutens (except I do like Chergui)
    Annick Goutal (I like Mandragore, but that's all so far)
    Bond No. 9

And like others, I shun (or should I say, ignore?) celebrity fragrances. The few that I've tried at the perfume counter over the years have left me cold.
    Last edited by Haunani; 30th June 2009 at 01:19 AM.

I don't like any of the Calvin Klein scents except for the original Calvin Klein for Women in the red box, circa 1978. I loved that scent. CK never released anything else that interested me in the slightest after that, though.

Thierry Mugler

Keiko Mecheri - I don't HATE these but they're just totally meh on me, and I think I've tried them all - they all seem to dry down to the same sweet musky scent

Mugler - have yet to try a women's offering I like from this house. Miroir des Envies was a gagworthy disappointment

Penhaligon's - Just too old fashioned and 'English' (in a bad way)

Guerlain - excepting Mitsouko which intrigues me
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Hillaire

Gosh I think all my nightmare houses were mentioned. I would rather go hungry than live on a diet of:

Mugler
    Diptique
    Bond
    Lancome
    Avon
    Roberto Cavalli
    Escada
    Yves Rocher
    Paris Hilton/ Britney Spears/ J Lo/Sean John/ SJParker
    Viktor and Rolf
    Sisley
    Clinique
    Arden
    Jivago
    Piguet (I know I am asking for it)
    Penhaligon
    Acca Kappa
    Creed
    Jo Malone
    Lalique
    Stella
    Matasaki
    Tom Ford
    Armani
    Versace

That said, if I had to live on one house alone(with free reign), I could possibly subsist on:
    Jil Sander
    Estee Lauder
    Amouage
    Nina Ricci
    Nobile 1942
    Dior
    Last edited by Hillaire; 30th June 2009 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I don't like any of the Calvin Klein scents except for the original Calvin Klein for Women in the red box, circa 1978. I loved that scent. CK never released anything else that interested me in the slightest after that, though.
    The only CK I've ever really liked was Truth. Never tried the CK for Women back in the day. You would think these "designer" brands would put a little more effort into it, huh?
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Same here for me and Truth!