Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casual sandals/flipflops

Olukai Hiapo? Chaco?

need some support. I have a like new pair of Donald Pliner in black leather and they have no support. gonna ebay them. Same with some Tommy Bahama in a cotton brown strap.

I like the look of Hiapo but locally they had an 8 and it was so small. I read that they run small and I usually wear a 9.0 American/42 , and they have no half sizes. Also, those pods on the bottom. They wear out that fast?
    Last edited by finsfan; 27th June 2009 at 11:20 PM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Casual sandals/flipflops

Birkenstocks. The sizing tends to run large, so try one size smaller than you think you need. Once you key in on the right size and arch combo, you'll wear them all the time. They last forever. Lots of attractive styles and colors nowadays--not just the traditional clog look.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

2nd Birkenstock, very stylish range of footwear, though getting leather ones wet can be meddlesome. alot of brands, new and old have followed their very distinctive sandal style.

A cheaper water-proof flip flop that I must have is Havaianas - casual, comfy and pretty stylish in terms of prints and colors.
    Last edited by MFJ; 29th June 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    2nd Birkenstock, very stylish range of footwear, though getting leather ones wet can be meddlesome. alot of brands, new and old have followed their very distinctive sandal style.

A cheaper water-proof flip flop that I must have is Havaianas - casual, comfy and pretty stylish in terms of prints and colors.
    I second Havaianas, I love mine and wear them all the time at home, and outdoors when the weather permits.
    I love cologne.

Post Thanks / Like

Havaianas are great, but don't have "support" per se - they're just flat rubber. Rather than spend the $18 or so on them, I get the ones from Old Navy for $5.

Birkenstocks are great from the support angle, but IMO, their flip-flop style is a bit odd-looking - certainly not your standard flip-flop.

Reef and Cobian are two makes that come to mind, with many styles having a more structured footbed. Also, you might check out the Crocs website (I know, I know...). On the site, however, there are some styles that look "normal" and not "croc-y" - these also offer some degree of support.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Birkies, even wearing them to work. The Arizona is the classic model; my husband wears them as well. I am currently enamoured with the Gizeh, the flipflop model.

As soon as I get home, I change into my Fitflops. I don't know about the workout claims made, but they sure are comfortable.

Tevas aren't particularly supportive as far as the shape goes, but Teva flip flops have a a soft, mushy footbed to absorb shock which makes them the most wearable flip flop ever. And the thick fabric (not plastic) straps. They are well designed for casual comfort though not as good for walking.

But the entire Teva line is one of my favorites.
    Last edited by misscasey; 18th July 2009 at 04:09 AM.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiapo's are amazing....so much support for a flip flop....dont try them you wont want wear any other flip again!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely wear anything except Finn-Comfort http://www.finncomfort.com/collections/ and Vital http://www.vital-schuhe.com/defaulten.htm sandals anymore. There's a store in So Pasadena called Lucha's Comfort Shoes http://www.comfortfootwear.com/ that has a wonderful selection a shoes that feel good and the staff there is very good about finding the right brand, style and size that is just perfect for your particular feet. I get a few pair from them, since they are so helpful I feel sort of obligated, but I get the majority of my Finns on eBay from a seller named tmlshoes. I save about half price buying from him and his shoes are always exactly as he describes them. Vitals are harder to find so I tend to get those at Lucha's.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 30th July 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Reefs for me. They're a bit pricey for simple thongs, but I like their feel. And the bottle cap remover on the sole has actually come in handy on several occasions!
    I've never been able to bring myself to buy leather sandals. I can't suppress the imagery of Ben Hur, 60s hippies, and fashion challenged Austrians (with accompanying brown socks).

petruccijc, those Okabashis look pretty nice too.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 31st July 2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Keen! I have the Venice and the Bali models, and I love them both....super comfy, and the Bali's have the bonus of being a flip flop that doesn't go between your toes!

The downside? Really freaky tanlines if you don't use enough sunscreen.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    I second Havaianas, I love mine and wear them all the time at home, and outdoors when the weather permits.
    +1 more on Havaianas, very popular here. Doesn't help I'm friends with the Brand Mgr here in Manila too so I feel I'm compelled to wear them
    Love Ipanemas too though (IMO they're more comfortable) and I say that to my Havaianas friend all the time just to annoy him Also have Dupes and a pair from Topman in checkerboard pink and black.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore these this summer with cargo shorts and jeans for some night's out. They're also great for casual wear too like going to the grocery store and just out for errands. They require a little break in period though.

Last edited by 1280adam; 26th September 2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    Havaianas are great, but don't have "support" per se - they're just flat rubber. Rather than spend the $18 or so on them, I get the ones from Old Navy for $5.
    Oh sorry but they are not the same AT ALL. I live in Havaianas all summer- I adore them!! Some styles have thicker rubber soles than others, but they are a much denser and higher quality rubber than any flip flop I've owned (trust me, I've tried them all, I am addicted to flip flops lol) and I'd put Old Navy flips at the bottom of the list. They are cheap and the rubber wears out and flattens after several wears.

The Brasil style is my favourite. I can walk all day in these babies

Funny, sometimes when I am cooking, I find our porcelain floor tiles very hard on my back. I just put on my Havaianas and it's like standing on one of those rubber mats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Reefs for me. They're a bit pricey for simple thongs, but I like their feel. And the bottle cap remover on the sole has actually come in handy on several occasions!
    I've never been able to bring myself to buy leather sandals. I can't suppress the imagery of Ben Hur, 60s hippies, and fashion challenged Austrians (with accompanying brown socks).

petruccijc, those Okabashis look pretty nice too.
    I have a pair of reef flip flops, and I don't like how it's so hard and doesn't bend with your foot as you walk, they're pretty stiff, it's almost like walking on wooden slippers. =/ also, the paint/ink they use for the designs easily wear off. what a waste of 40$. =/

Although I do like havaianas, I find it to be a little uncomfortable on long periods of time, specially on the heel part where the strap meets the base, I especially hate the Surf version which has an oversized strap bottom. =/

so far, nothing has ever beaten this pair when it comes to comfort level and durability.
    doesn't look "cheap" either unlike some normal flip flops.

Also notice how the strap doesn't land on where you step on, making it tons mroe comfortable than other flip flops...
    Last edited by TimothyX; 26th September 2009 at 04:19 PM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Reefs for years with no complaints...

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to give this a try, but the SA said that the parts where you would step on would flatten out, and would eventually be "bald" with the shape of your foot. It would've been 'ok' if it took a couple of years, but he said in 3 months or so of wearing. meh. would have been a good buy for 50$ if it lasted, heard that it scrubs dead skin off your feet too... not to mention it looks kinda cool. lol

LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!