Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 4, 2009 ★★★ GREENS

Nasomatto Absinth

Notes: absinthe, herbs, vetiver (from luckyscent.com)

Upon first application of Absinthe, the most apparent notes are artemesia, vanilla, leather, patchouli, dirt, spruce, tea and smoke. In fact, it could be a more herbal, less ambery cousin of Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe. As the fragrance develops, the soft vanilla and smoky leather open out a bit, reducing the relative density. It is quite stunning in this phase as I perceive small doses of the artemesia, and it acts as an aromatic backdrop for the sweetened leather and tea notes. The smoke could be vetiver--there is a green vegetal quality that is incense-like without being resinous. As the fragrance slowly develops, it becomes sweeter and more balsamic, with a faint smoky sharpness to keep it from becoming too cloying. There is a dusty quality that also emerges, a puckery astringent edge that adds to the illusion of leather, tea and perhaps a bit of tobacco. Absinth more or less stays in this place for the remainder, the drydown becoming increasingly smoky, dry and woody with the persistent tea/leather tannins mixed in. Overall the balance is excellent--Absinth is deftly composed of sweet, dry, bitter, aromatic and astringent qualities in very pleasing proportions. The deep drydown loses most of the sweetness, tending toward the dry, tannic smoky leather and a desiccated wood blend that has been a constant undertone throughout.

Although I enjoy this fragrance very much, I find I have mixed feelings about it. It has many fine qualities, and there is nothing inherently lacking, but somehow it still does not take me to the heights of satisfaction that I get with some classic scents. Perhaps fragrances like Absinth should not be directly compared to classic scents. Perhaps it is in a league of new-style fragrance and must be judged with its contemporaries. What I am getting at is this--Absinth really does not live up to classic leather fragrances such as Chanel Cuir de Russie or Guerlain Djedi. However, it has other characteristics that those classics don't have--a newer template done in modern materials. The perfumer uses the materials for what they are, and the product is completely different in spirit. In a way, it is like comparing a Renaissance oil painting to a modern acrylic tableau. Each has its own unique craft and artistry that can be enjoyed without denigration of one or the other.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th July 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ ♥ ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 4, 2009 ★★★ GREENS

I love Absinthe, this one in particular. that was a beautiful description, Asha. It's a pretty straightforward, almost linear scent, and hard to get a handle on. Thanks for putting it into words.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I took out a very special decant - Guerlain Sous le Vent - special because I love it and never seem to have $280 to buy it....
    Coincidence: I wore some of it last night, from a decant. Wow, it's just beautiful isn't it? It stands, directly behind my Philtre d'Amour, as the next Guerlain to buy for myself.

For me, it is very much a chypre fragrance, but much less harsh and strident than my vintage Mitsouko EdT or my Chant de Aromes.

Today for me it was Calamus (Series 1: Leaves) by Comme des Garcons

Do I really need to describe this green, majestic beauty? If you have not smelled this one guys/gals and you're a fan of green scents, you are doing yourself a major disservice.

For me it takes me right back to being a kid, playing in my front yard where our rubber tree plant was, and getting milky, green sap all over my fingers - and sniffing them. IN-STANT olfactory association. The grass note, a bit like the pollen-in-the-air one in Grass by Gap, is much more natural and leafy.

Perhaps CdG's most 'natural' scent, in their entire line.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th July 2009 at 01:01 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Eau de Guerlain tonight for Saturday Sniff 'n Speak. This is a civilized green that explodes green citrus momentarily on impact, tones down quickly to progress smoothly carrying the citrus and adding a compliment of caraway and mint toward a well balanced and perfectly delightful smooth moss/amber base. Drips of quality through and through.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I wore MH's Fleurs de Bois first-
    Then, CDG's Calamus all afternoon...

To wind up the Greening of Moimeme....the one that started it all and still champeen (I am SO fickle - whatever I've got on is ALWAYS the favert!!)

Creamy and assertive, figgy and green with beachy overtones. By me Olivia can do no wrong.

Can't wait to do this all over again when it comes to the fruity SnS!!!

P.S. LeeSee - p.m. me your addy and I'll send you a starter set!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th July 2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: 'S' obvious
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thank you, everyone, for greening so spiritedly.

I'm ending the day, comforted by Nanadebary Green.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Hi all - It's late and I just gotten home from a nice barbecue and party, where I wore my brand new Le Labo Vetiver 46

I'd thought this smelled decent enough on paper to warrant buying the super-small 15 ml size, and I wish I had known then how incredible this would smell on me! Something about this totally agrees with my chemistry and my nose. The silage is a beautiful, bright green vetiver, while sniffing my wrist reveals a dark brown vetiver, replete with beautiful dirt. I guess it's that dirt note that gives this one its dangerous reputation, but there's no funk or poop to be found.

Gorgeous. This could easily become one of my summer go-to's.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Well I have to hang my head a bit, because yesterday (Saturday) I didn't join in the Speak n Sniff. But I had good reason - a monster sale in a perfumerie that I simply HAD to attend.

However, it's now Sunday and I'm joining in with the Greens. It's a category I don't think I have many of, but then I read that my adored figs count as green, and it mentally opens this category up for me. I love my Tesco's Finest copy of a Jo Malone Fig (Fig, almond and cassis) and usually splash that on with gay abandon all summer because it only costs a fiver. (Perfect to take on a camping holiday btw, a I worry about 'cooking' any good stuff in a tent for a week.) I've recently added the delicious L'Artisan Premier Figuier to my wardrobe, thanks to Brielle and looooooove it. I also love my Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee with its sun-baked rocks and a fig tree. I guess that's green too, huh?

And are my fresh lavenders greens? They might be flowers, but they have the zesty zing of sap and leaf. I'm thinking of things like my Crabtree and Evelyn Lavender Water in this, which smells like nothing as much as when you stroke a lavender bush and smell your hand.

Similarly, would my No 23, with its predominant Rose-scented Geranium Leaf topnote count as a green? I'd be interested in opinions on these two.

Anyway, I'm not wearing any of those, I'm in something that our lovely Quarry sent me: Demeter Firefly. I have no idea what a firefly smells like, but this has a great electric crackle to it, a definite topnote of crushed leaves and sap , with a little healthy soil (as in compost, not a stain). It very definitely smells like kneeling in my vegetable garden pulling weeds. I have no idea how Demeter make these incredible scents that smell so realistic; it's like putting a pop-up storybook on your arm.

It does have the classic Demeter heart/base that I sometimes tire of. It's an aromachemical that smells to me like so many ozonic fragrances - I'm sure some clever bod here will be able to say, oh that's Calone or Flexodydrital of whatever. Having sneaked a peek at the reviews in the directory, I will agree that it shares this crackley/electrical scent with the Thunderstorm fragrance and also with my other Demeter favourite, Snow. I think this is equally appropriate for men or women and that 'plant sap' opening note is just incredible. How did they get it so real?

This afternoon I will be opening a bottle I bought in that perfume sale yesterday: Les Bains du Marais
    Soleil de Corse which allegedly has notes of green flowers, dry fig, star anise, and woods.
    More info here:
    Soleil de Corse est une fragrance qui dploie en tte la clart d'un accord vert fleuri auquel succde un coeur ample et doux alliant pomme, figue sche et anis toil pour laisser un sillage bois chaud et sensuel.

- Note de tte : frais et vert

- Note de coeur : doux, figue sche, anis toil et laurier

- Note de fond : chaud et sensuel; bois de cdre, bois de figuier et fruits secs
    Last edited by Wordbird; 5th July 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooohh, Wordie-
    that Bains de Marais sounds magical !

I went to bed in # 19- parfum and edt,I still smell it on my robe.
    Mmmm- llike the Lorca poem:
    "Tree, tree, dry and green"...[[translation Stephen Spender]
    Last edited by chayaruchama; 5th July 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Asha, you're the Meryl Streep of reviewers: No one's surprised when you're called to the dais to receive your award.

Tdem, if you find L'Ombre dans L'eau pleasant, I hope you'll get a chance to try it in bar soap form. I sort of liked the juice, but was shaken to the core by the soap.

Tang, you remind me that some Yves Rocher scents can be "meh" in spray form (I think it's their base), but lovely for the shower: I'll have to order some Bamboo Body Wash and the Green Tea Body Wash when I need more Iris Noir perfume.

Kumquat, you really "sold" Ormonde Jayne with the fullness of expression packed into your posts.

Wordbird, how susceptible are you to the power of suggestion? Firefly wasn't inspired by the electricity implied, but rather by the summer evenings when fireflies cause children to run through damp lawn capturing the flying lights. I picked some lavender from the garden this week, and you're right: The green parts of the plant, more than the purple flowers, impart the lavender scent.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thank you for the feedback and complements, Quarry and all the other kind BNers who commented on my reviews. I had some catching up to do, and so many of the green things I have been testing are short lived enough to do several in one day. Plus, I love green--never thought I would, but I'm definitely hooked!

I'm a day late, but wearing my green today!

I have never been a fan of green ... but as I have learned: never say never. I may have found a green that I can like: Guerlain AA Mentafollia.

I bought this blind not long ago, not sure exactly why it jumped off the page of offerings that a nice BNer had for sale. I had not even considered it before, but for some reason, a mint scent seemed like just the thing I needed. I find it interesting how my tastes have changed lately ... blame it on getting older or blame it on the medicine I now have to take, but I am so enjoying lighter scents this summer.

Mentafollia notes (from the Now Smell This blog) include: mandarin zest, mint leaves, rose, jasmine, green tea, and cedar. To me, this smells so natural. I planted a little pot of mint that I was going to use for mojitos this summer, but find myself adding a handful of the leaves in the jar whenever I make sun tea. The mint smells like my mint, just picked and warm from the sun. The mint is the starring note here, but I can pick out the tea and cedar notes also. The rose and jasmine are really just hints, quiet enough to add a tiny bit of floral-y sweetness, but not loud enough to really draw attention.

This is perfect for the hot summer days and nights we have been having here in Kansas. I find it to be almost as refreshing as a large glass of iced mint tea, just like I have brewing in the sun right now.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Didn't take Vol de Nuit away with me in the end, took Dune pour Homme instead (lush verdant figgy goodness)

Dune opens on sharp Bergamot, and wet green leaves. It’s like leaves that still have raindrops on them. The sharpness is left behind quickly, and it becomes smooth.
    There is a distinct Fig note in the heart, creamy and milky (like when you cut a leaf open and the milky looking liquid comes out) and rich, as well as perfectly ripe – just taken off the tree. The Fig is surrounded by an aquatic, watery feeling note – the effect Hedione helps creates in fragrances.
    The verdant “green-ness” is maintained throughout the fragrance, is somewhat tart and reminds me of Rhubarb leaves.
    The aquatic note recedes for the drydown and Dune is left as a soft, fuzzy and comfy Cedarwood and Tonka combination, which although not innovative, is very pleasant and enjoyable