Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Monday 29 June

Good morning!

Les parfums de Rosine Un Zest de Rose for me.

Have a marvy Monday (if that's possible... )
    Last edited by tigrushka; 29th June 2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Monday 29 June

Honeysuckle Bird by Soivohle'

Thumbs up Re: SotD Monday 29 June

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Off to bed in Parfum Sacre.

Good morning!

Monday morning at work and I am already tired from yesterday's cooking and cleaning at home...

At least the weather is still cool ( for Athens...)

Hong Kong Garden by Ava Luxe, today.

Serge Lutens A La Nuit (death by jasmine )

Good afternoon! It's hot and sunny and I'm in Bois Blond.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Wearing Dolce Vita.
    It smells much better than I'd remembered. Especially from the heart onward.
    I'm going to be wearing it more often.

Happy Monday to all of you.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Paloma Picasso Minotaure.

Top notes are aldehydes, coriander, tarragon, fruity notes, galbanum and bergamot
    Middle notes are jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium
    Base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla and cedar

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Creed Santal Imperial
    Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Good morning, darlings...

Weary but willing, I suppose.
    Going to take care of business.

It's gloomy out there; should I join Tigs in her Rosine fest ? { I'm tempted}
    Perhaps Farouche...

Hugs on this less-than-merry-Monday.

Basenotes Institution

Gaiac 10 by Le Labo (first time from a sample - thanks NEoTY26)

((HUG Chaya))
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

032 Bay Rum by C.O.Bigelow today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

TOM
    FORD

GREY VETIVER

...from a sample, thanks to Joe

Good morning everybody Today is a sunny and warm ( for Tromsø standards) day.Weird thing is that it almost feels cold due to being spoiled with degrees between + 25-30 celsius every day on the hoilday! I craved Mitsouko, so that is my sotd for today.Hope you all have a good Monday!

Malle, Day Four: Fleur de Cassie.

Cassie was the second Malle scent to spin my head around. This was during a time when I avoided aldehydic florals at all costs. Originally, I liked that Cassie seemed like a reinvention of an old theme; it had me looking at this class of scent in a new way. It had cumin, one of my favorite notes, and was a perfume that many people used strong intellectual language to describe ("yuck," "blech," "ugh").

There seem to be two fragrant ideas competing in Cassie, neither one complete. One is a powdery, feminized floral centered around cassie/mimosa with rose, violet, and jasmine. The other is the one to which people object, featuring the possibly controversial cumin alongside clove, musk, and sandalwood. Clove is a harder note for me to wear than cumin, and occasionally this pairing makes Cassie smell in part like tobacco leaf on me, bordering on the bitter. Adding to this effect is "apricot aldehyde," which is rendered much like the poison of apricot stone.

Cassie reminds me of beauty that is deliberately marred; it is the scent of cruelty, of having so much beauty that it becomes unremarkable and fatiguing. I like to think that the perfumer wanted to give this beauty some character so he brutalized it and offended it with the spice notes; it is in this way that Cassie separated from the concept of French chic (much admired and coveted, stylistically) and became jolie laide and therefore hip. You see this occur with fashion, although there the idea is often striving and gratuitous. In Cassie it is not.

As a general rule, mimosa and cassie smell green to me. This is true in Farnesiana and in Mimosa Pour Moi, although the treatments are vastly different. Cassie has a green indolic jasmine as well, as a supporting note. The wood in the base reminds me of the smell of a branch with the bark freshly stripped away, revealing a stickness in the wood.

Cumin never smells "skanky" to me. I dislike that word, not because of its association with the vulgar but because of the vulgarity of the sound. It's a cheap, hip word applied mostly to women like Britney Spears and it suggests an indiscreet body odor. It sounds terrible, framed by hardness. I don't perceive cumin as sweaty because to me a lot of sweat smells like onion, and that isn't the case with the cumin used in cassie. I wear McQueen's Kingdom frequently without having any negative association.

After the aldehydic introduction, Cassie presents its slighty mussed-up bouquet in stages. The puffball mimosa is the largest note and it almost obscures the other, less pronounced florals. I don't note citrus as citrus in the opening, only as tanginess. As the other florals appear they are struck by the clove/cumin to give overall impression of dirt. This is the stage where I smell tobacco leaf and it hangs on throughout the rest of the development. While not as strong as Iris Poudre, Cassie still has good lasting power, although it is more on skin-scent level.

This is a fragrance of personal enjoyment; if you don't put it on expecting compliments or gratitude for making the world smell a little less obnoxious, then you won't be disappointed. It all depends on how you translate "skank" and how much of it you want to dare.
    Last edited by Orion; 29th June 2009 at 01:40 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

It's time to commune with the vacuum again. Sigh.

My half-gray hair is in a ponytail, and I'm trying out i Coloniali Yuzu Body Care Water--a fun, refreshing change of pace to perspire in. Thank you for this clever experience, Samantha.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

sotd:
    Serge Lutens
    Chergui

We're getting a little break in rain today,
    it's supposed to continue this afternoon
    but for now I'm just loving this glorious sunshine!

It's Bois Farine for me
    ... pure peanut butter today hehehe
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Fracas

:wave:

Basenotes Institution

Morning all ! The heat over here is terrible- 106 degrees today again.
    Fleur Blanche by Ajne this morning- beautiful - those top notes are to die for. I'll wear something else later.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

My SotD is Terracotta Voile d'Ete by Guerlain (1999). I believe this sample was from Analavande (thank you!).

So far on me, it's a soft, sort of dusty carnation. Pretty! As the name suggests, it seems to be one that will work in the hot weather. I will know by the end of this day!

Eau de Shalimar today. So hot even this is a bit sickening.
    I will watch Wimbledon for the rest of the day, too; a very nice excuse for not moving my body AT ALL.

Ormonde Woman for me today.

Orion: I am enjoying your thoughtful, evocative prose.

Blog Entries

Profumum - NEROLI

Perlier Acqua Serena

Diorissimo By Christian Dior
    Lolita Lempicka

Monday morning again....

Spent a nice Sunday with my DH (he usually works Sundays, so it was a treat to have him home). Wore the wonderful Ubar most of the day, changed to AL Madame X for bed.

This morning I am in Missoni Acqua, which is very heat appropriate.
    Trying to keep my cool in a very chaotic environment this morning.

Belated birthdays to Zibeline!

Hugs and kisses to all who need them today.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Jean Patou 1000 EdP

Started the morning off in Tommy Girl for my bi-annual wearing of that. It's now back in the closet.

Post shower, I'm in the same house with Haunani, wearing Terranova's Rain perfume essence. Thank you to Ubuandibeme for the sample. I love this scent. It reminds me of another muguet fragrance that I like very much, La Pluie by Bourbon French Perfumery of New Orleans.

Hello my fragrant lovelies, happy monday to all

(((Chaya))) we need to get together and rejuvenate you, either by way of yummy smellys or big hugs .

Today I am in Estee Lauder Private Collection

Just a heavenly scent. Goodness Ms Lauder had magnificent taste. Too bad we could not bring her back and get some more wonderful fragrance ideas, because what is being released by all companies is just sad.

Love and hugs sweeties
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

L'Artisan Iris Pallida for me today.

TDC Divine Bergamot (thanks, arwen_elf!) -- it's 'divine' when it goes on, but is it just me, or does it disappear in 15 min? (Or do I just become anosmic to it? I think this is unlikely, so my guess that the 'disappearing act' is the true explanation).

Since TDC is already gone I followed up with Hermes Pamplemousse Rose (sp?) from the spoils of yesterday's trip to NM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Hi everyone! I dabbed a bit of l'Artisan's Cote d'Amour before the gym....my own sweat intensified the salt sooooooooo much! I will have to retest when not as sweaty. Am now testing several: LV Yerbamate (thank you AnnaSa!) which reminds me so much of Bazooka Joe's gum. Am I the only one? As well as Jil Sander no 4 which is nice but very perfumey. Still undecided here.

Silverbullet and Brielle are wearing some of my favorites. They are forever classics.

Kess: I adoooooore Bergamote but it disappears quickly on me too. That Hermes Pamplemousse Rose is so refreshing in the heat, enjoy!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Thanks Lessa, and thanks again marvelous BN friends! I finally feel a bit recuperated from my birthday on the job. It feels great to be home today.

DH and I went out to lunch and I am spending the day reading and relaxing and wearing Joy to go with the joy I feel about a day off! It's not a scent I would wear to work as being an old iconic fragrance you never know what sort of reaction you may get or what sort of associations people will make with its memory.

Tauer
    L'AIR DU DÉSERT MAROCAIN

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post

Kess: I adoooooore Bergamote but it disappears quickly on me too. That Hermes Pamplemousse Rose is so refreshing in the heat, enjoy!

Ah, good that I'm not the only one with the same feedback on Divine Bergamote.

On PR, sadly while the opening is indeed wonderful, very quickly the top citrus/rosy notes dissipate and I'm left with a metallic note that I also detect in TDC Bois d'Iris and Terre d'Hermes, which I don't enjoy. It's too 'cologny' for me at this stage. Probably better as a masculine. Still, it's 'fresh' and 'natural' smelling -- and not in a sickly-synthetic way that a lot of department store fragrances are guilty of.

So it went from 5 stars (want it!!!) to 3 stars (neutral) in a matter of 15 min.

I guess I'm just not that into JCE style.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Running late today.

Satellite Ipanema for this glorious warm, not super humid day.

Happy belated birthday Zibeline!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

lovethescents, Jil Sander No. 4 is gorgeous. Agreed, "perfumy" is an apt description along with "sophisticated", "elegant" and "sexy". Personally I feel "overdressed" wearing it but I adore it on others. So I'd say go for it! And please stop by and let me sniff you! (OK, I realise apart from sounding awkward that last part is also hard to accomplish since you live in Canada ).

My SotD was Infusion d'Iris.
    SotE is Dior Escale a Pondichéry which I purchased today. Quite lovely in my opinion.

(I love Divine Bergamote too, but it lasts about 30 minutes on me. It'd be a very expensive perfume indulgence, but I may cave one day...)

Continuing my Ormonde Jayne sampling, so sharing the house with Therese. SPEAKING of longevity issues, I'm not having much luck here: Orris Noir is gorgeous when it goes on; vanishes in an hour or so (maybe it's the heat today?), Champaca is lovely, fresh floral, but gone in an hour or so...

Headed for the Beach (whilst in the comfort of my own home) in Salt Air and Brezza di Mare. Gonna refresh with a little Miami Glow later on....

Lovin' livin' the languid life....it's JUST. TOO. DARN'. HOT.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Joining Therese in Ormonde Woman. Have a lovely day, all.

FM L'Eau d'Hiver

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    It's time to commune with the vacuum again. Sigh.

My half-gray hair is in a ponytail, and I'm trying out i Coloniali Yuzu Body Care Water--a fun, refreshing change of pace to perspire in. Thank you for this clever experience, Samantha.
    That sample is getting to see the world!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    (((Chaya))) we need to get together and rejuvenate you, either by way of yummy smellys or big hugs .
    I officially declare Chaya the most routinely bracketed member of the board!

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    (I love Divine Bergamote too, but it lasts about 30 minutes on me. It'd be a very expensive perfume indulgence, but I may cave one day...)

Continuing my Ormonde Jayne sampling, so sharing the house with Therese. SPEAKING of longevity issues, I'm not having much luck here: Orris Noir is gorgeous when it goes on; vanishes in an hour or so (maybe it's the heat today?), Champaca is lovely, fresh floral, but gone in an hour or so...
    Agree especially on Bergamote (they appear to have dropped the "Divine" on my box) about its extreme shortevity, but I reckon heat doesn't help. I am normally a good retainer of most scents, but in this heat they are all going "splodge, blur, gone"!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 29th June 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Potiron---yes! You are right! Jil Sander is lovely but I do feel like it's too sophisticated for me. If I were going to church, or an office, or the like, it might be more appropriate than my gym gear :-)

Taolady--your combinations sound divine! I'll have to try something similar with Aqua Motu and the Miami Glow. How vacation-like

VM--isn't chemistry interesting?? I actually find fragrances last muuuuuuch longer in the heat and humidity and many of those heavier scents I love in the cold weather, I cannot tolerate in the summer. How curious?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Basenotes Institution

Shalimar this afternoon - indoors all afternoon away from the heat !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Still trying to use up Miss Dior Cherie by wearing it to work. Wearing Il Bacio this evening, totally different kind of fruity fragrance to the Cherie but much better suited to me.

lovethescents Jil Sander No.4 is one of my favourites. It is sophisticated but I still feel like myself when I wear it whereas the equally refined Chanel Coco or Caron Parfum Sacre, for example, always make me feel as though I'm wearing someone else's perfume.

Yup, we're baking here, too. It's great! After a week or so of rain (which was good for the garden, so I'm not complaining) it's lovely to get a big fat wallop of RAYS streaming down. Yes, it's super-hot, but hey, we have enough water to be able to take showers every day, and let's face it, what do small children like more than playing in a tubful of water?

Today I started out in Bronze Goddess, which I like a lot. Then I decanted a bit and whoo! I smelled of Mahora all day. That stuff is powerful, y'know? Wow. But it's so good-natured it makes me smile. It reminds me of me, actually: a bit over the hill, probably on the outside of a glass of white wine too many and sporting just a tad too much cleavage for church.

Later on, I got to try Escale a Pondicherry, which is sort of nice. I like the base but think the topnotes are a bit blah. I will try it again when I have more chance to consider it deeply. I like the idea of it very much, but that front end... it smelled like a dozen other things, none of them impressive.

And I snagged a bottle of Cartier Declaration for peanuts, so I'm happy. I tried it and I like it. I'm a fan of both Eau d'Hermes and JC Ellena, so I knew I'd find this interesting. Great for this hot weather.

Chaya; hugs to you, girlfriend. Keep that pecker up and please please keep singing those fabulous loony songs.

Anyone else who wants a hug, come on down. (Mahora puts me in that kind of mood.)
    And whoopie to anyone who has something to celebrate, no matter how small. Enjoy all the good things.
    xxxxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

[Orion,. Une Fleur de Cassie is among my favorite perfumes ever!]

Kenzo Parfum d'été once again. The one pictured, not the relaunch.

Last edited by Nostalgie; 29th June 2009 at 10:24 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Plus

Hot, hot hot in sunny Florida.
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche smells wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Agree especially on Bergamote (they appear to have dropped the "Divine" on my box) about its extreme shortevity, but I reckon heat doesn't help. I am normally a good retainer of most scents, but in this heat they are all going "splodge, blur, gone"!
    :toppie:

Love your use of language there.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Pink Sugar today. It was sort of a rough weekend on call ... stressful and long cases and I feel like I've been hit by a truck today. Pink Sugar is fun and carefree and nice for such a yucky Monday.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    [Orion,. Une Fleur de Cassie is among my favorite perfumes ever!]

Kenzo Parfum d'été once again. The one pictured, not the relaunch.

Oooh, Twilight Zone....!!

Nostalgie, I saw that bottle and thought: "I know that shape - I have an empty one on my bookshelf!" The story behind this is that I once (in my pre-perfumista days) carried out an industrial market research project on acids with various uses, one being to etch patterns on perfume bottles. I went to interview a company in Paris on the Left Bank somewhere which produced scent bottles, and they gave me a sample as a souvenir / reference material for my project. It has been on my shelf for 7 years and today I looked on the base and it says:

KENZO
    PARIS
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 29th June 2009 at 11:19 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Post vacuum & shower: Sabi and extraordinary homemade wine as DH and I enjoy an evening of online viewing: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict (one of the worst-named, most-entertaining series). (Couldn't find a pic of D'An. That's is a smilie of Thor from SG1.) I am a good-smelling drunk geek.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    :toppie:

Love your use of language there.
    Ditto. Short-ivity INDEED!!

Gotta say my summer scents lasted RULLY well - but I have overlaid them for a quiet cool evening in Montale AOUD LEATHER!! Floral suede and light as a feather.....Sloan_1813 rully knows how to pick'em.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Bottle of Iris Pallida arrived! Time for the dance of joy:bounce:!

I've wanted this L'Artisan since first smelling it in 2007, it's gorgeous...Iris is one note that really clicks with my chemistry and preferences. It has taken me awhile to confirm this discovery, but now I can say with complete confidence "I LOVE IRIS!" BTW, this bottle is stunningly classy too - etched irises, and numbered, a real treasure. Damn this stuff smells good.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

SotE C&E Lily of the Valley (the pre-reformulation version.)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tonight Léonard pour Homme (original)
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell