Code of Conduct

Thread: Geranium

Blog Entries

Default Geranium

I have been wondering if geranium lends a minty aspect to fragrance. I pick up faint mintiness in Laura Mercier L'Heure Magique and Nanadebary Green. They both share geranium as a common note. I've been sniffing my geraniums (the flowers have little to no scent, but the leaves and stems are very fragrant), and that very faint mintiness is there, but it's all wrapped up in something that is more distinctively geranium. Geranium stems and leaves to me smell green, pungent, vaguely medicinal or chemically, almost like eucalyptus. What I find in these two scents is more like, well, toothpaste. Not so much "spearmint" or "peppermint" but some nondescript mint that's related. Does anyone else find that geranium might be adding a minty note to fragrances?
    Last edited by Heartwood; 12th July 2009 at 05:22 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Default Re: Geramium

Chances are what you perceive as geranium in most perfumes is really actually Rhodinol or Geraniol, which are used in perfumery to enhance flowery aspects, especially rosy and fruity nuances.

As far as the common houseplant of geraniums, I don’t think that those species are used for distilling essential oils. But there are so many varieties of geraniums, some with rosy fragrances (Rose geranium), some with camphoraceous, some with minty, pine or citrus aspects that it is just too broad to say what specific perfumes geraniums may influence, because it could literally mean thousands. They often are part of floral bouquets though.

When a fragrance house characterizes its particular perfumes with commonly known scents that the public can identify with, it is not a testament to the real contents of the juice. They are simply ideograms of the different facets of the general scent, if you get what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    As far as the common houseplant of geraniums, I don’t think that those species are used for distilling essential oils. But there are so many varieties of geraniums, some with rosy fragrances (Rose geranium), some with camphoraceous, some with minty, pine or citrus aspects that it is just too broad to say what specific perfumes geraniums may influence, because it could literally mean thousands. They often are part of floral bouquets though.
    Geranium Essential Oil comes from Pelargonium graveolens. Most varietals are rose scented, but there are also mint, lemon/citrus, fruit, nut and "pungent" scented ones. Rose geranium EO is quite rosy and very strong. It can easily overpower a blend if not used carefully. I actually love it best in soaps where it combines very well with other pungent herbs such as lavender or rosemary. I'll have to go sniff my EO again to see if there is a minty aspect, although my overall impression remains "rose".

Common household geranium (aka Zonal Geranium) is Pelargonium hortorum. They are related, but indeed, a different plant.
    Last edited by Asha; 30th June 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Geranium (diluted EO) - Smells a little oily, a little salty and rather similar to the violet except less synthetic smelling. This one is rather thick but on the label (which NOW I read....) says 2.5% Geranium EO in grapeseed oil and with added Vit E. Although it does seem more realistically floral (in my opinion) than the violet.

Geranium Bourbon
    , essential oil, Reunion Island, Eden Botanicals - Smells like a cross between lemon, rose, and mint (not peppermint or spearmint, but something wild and herbal). I never thought that Geranium smelled like a flower. I believe the essential oil comes from the leaves. Anyway, this one I could see wearing in a fragrance. It is fresh and herbal, lemony, green, and nice. I'm going to move it over with the lemongrass and lavendar in the herbal/fresh category instead of this group.

Geraniol. Oooooo - spicy. Not so sweet. The spiciness is tempting, but it's easy to see how this one could be too strong. Have to be careful with this stuff. Too much of this, and we could get into trouble.

Nerol ("Nerolex"). Oh, yes. Very pleasant. Even less spicy and more citrusy. Completely missing the sharp edge of geraniol.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th July 2009 at 12:44 AM.

Default Re: Geranium

Great thread on geranium from men's board: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247...ium-smell-like

Bourbon Geranium essential oil, Aqua Oleum: A smooth aromatic green aroma, encompassing citrus, rose and something mildly minty. It's a touch creamy but is more invigorating and aromatic than the dense woody lusciousness of Bourbon Vetiver.

Geranium Bourbon – I like this but not on its own. It a cold, very sweet smell. It's fantastic at lifting a rosy or floral blend, but if this was a person, Geranium would be a 18 year old girl that gossips a lot, is slightly neurotic, and wears too much pink. Great as part of a crowd but she might get on your nerves if you're just in her company.

Geranium Bourbon - Essential Oil

Sweet, honeyed with strong rose overtones. Top notes of citrus, herbs and mint. Overpowering and extremely tenacious. Best suited to sweet blends with dry woods, it imparts warmth and sweetness to blends. Works well with wood and spice and some herbal notes. Favourite floral but it would be easy for this note to drown a blend.

Banned

I love geranium note, so far it gave me a feeling its a mixture between flower and citruses:-) , the best geranium opening ever is in noire epices from frederic male, 2 great scents based on geranium are comme de garcons 888 and L eau Chic by parfums de nicolai

I noticed when there is geranium in the scent men tend to think that perfume smells more feminine to their nose, its a touch sweet, fresh a touch citrusy, sparkly and a touch floral:-) .....i don't know how expensive this oil is?

Pls correct me if i said something wrong, this is from my experience so far

my latest Geranium love is Liaisons dangereuses....Egyptian geranium they say among others...soo lovely...geranium is one fresh airy rosey scent!
    Last edited by iivanita; 7th April 2013 at 07:42 PM.

Learned more from this thread about geranium than I could ever have imagined. Good info.