Code of Conduct

Default Weekend sniffing trip and a few mini reviews of newish stuff in stores

An_oud_girl and I went on our 3rd (already?) monthly trip to Stanford Shopping Center -- the only place in our area for niche and high-end stuff; you have to go San Francisco to find another Neiman Marcus.

As always, it was a lot of fun, spraying and sniffing! We visited Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's and Sephora. I felt like I've already sampled through the classics/mainstays, so this time around I focused on the new stuff that I read about here on BN, on blogs, etc.

Here are a few mini reviews and impressions on what we saw:

Hermes Pamplemousse Rose: The citrus opening is indeed wonderful, but very quickly the top notes dissipate and I'm left with a metallic note that I also detect in TDC Bois d'Iris and Terre d'Hermes, which I don't enjoy. With the addition of musky vetiver, it's too 'cologny' for me at this stage. On a positive side, it's 'fresh' and 'natural' smelling -- and not in a sickly-synthetic way that a lot of department store fragrances are guilty of. 3 stars.

Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmin White Moss: Green, dry and sweet at the same time -- very nice. My favorite so far in the 3 PC scents, maybe because jasmine is fairly subdued -- in fact I need to sniff pretty hard to smell any. Upon initial application, it reminded me of YSL Y, but a touch dryer. Bloomingdale's already had it on sale, while NM had a pre-release tester. 4 stars.

MAC Naked Honey: This is more of a 'honeyed floral' than 'naked honey' to me. Still very nice, but not quite bottle worthy for me, since I'm not a die-hard fan of florals. 4 stars.

MAC Africanimal: That's indeed a honey scent, which could be a bad or good thing, depending on where you stand on having honey in your fragrance. I'm a bit of a honey fiend: I like honey body products etc. There's also something sultry in it, keeping it from being a straight up honey scent. 4.5 stars (cheating a bit with a split rating, since I did not buy it on the spot -- but maybe I will).

Creed Acqua Florentina: NM had a bottle to test from, but were not selling it yet. It seemed to be a standard issue fruity-floral ("light and fresh" as SAs like to point out) -- I don't recall being too impressed. But again, I tested it in passing. 3 stars.

Marc Jacob Lola:
    Bloomingdale's had a pre-release tester, and I quickly tested on skin -- it was mostly musky peony to me & reminded me of Ineke Chemical Bonding (also musky peony to my nose.) I washed it off in about 10 min before waiting for a far dry down, but based on the first 10 min I don't think I'd be buying it. 3 stars.

Sephora did not have anything new or interesting (ouch, have I mined it to the bottom already?) so we left pretty quickly.

Looking forward to the next 'smell fest'! If we don't go in July, then it will be the BN group sniff day in San Francisco.
    Last edited by kess; 29th June 2009 at 09:32 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Default Re: Weekend sniffing trip and a few mini reviews of newish stuff in stores

Thanks for the reviews! I've been looking forward to trying the MACs.

I have family on the Peninsula, so perhaps the next time I'm up, we could do a trip?
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Default Re: Weekend sniffing trip and a few mini reviews of newish stuff in stores

Would that be EL PC Jasmine White Moss, rather than Mint? White Jasmine & Mint is a Jo Malone I love and I am now keen to try this one. : - )

The only one I have tested out of those is the Hermes, which sadly was too grapefruity for me.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 29th June 2009 at 08:43 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Oops, it's indeed ‘White Moss’ – correction made.

BlackCat, yes, let us know when you are in the area. It’s always more fun to go as a group!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Love to try the EL Jasmin White Moss. Thanks for your reviews !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

For some reason, whenever I have been in NM I have headed straight for the Guerlain cosmetics. Now that you have been and sniffed, I will have to find the nearest NM (Tampa, I think) and rectify this situation. I've always wanted to smell those newer Piguets.

I have that MAC Naked Honey. I don't know why I bought it. I tried to return it and felt guilty about the salesgirl, so I kept it. The drydown is difficult; after an hour it sharpens and gets mildly urinous. This could be due to extreme heat here so I will try it again another time. I also bought the lotion, which deliberately does not have the same scent; I suppose it works with both of the new MAC frags.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting this Kess! We did have fun. I even tried a crazy metallic aqua nail polish on my toes at Sephora called Mermaid to Order. I did only four toes on one foot (my sandal hid the pinky), but I'm really starting to like it!

I'm SO in love with the Jasmine White Moss. I'm definitely getting a bottle for my birthday in August. The Pamplemousse Rose was disappointingly short lived, but I really enjoyed the zingy grapefruit and I think I prefer this to Une Zeste de Rose, although I think UZdR has a more dewey quality that I love. Tough choice.

I also tried Pleasures again for the first time in ages from a fresh bottle. I really should get rid of all my EL samples that are more than 5 years old. They just don't hold true. The SA gave me a vial to make a sample from and after battling a very difficult sprayer I had nearly showered in the stuff. Fortunately, by this time we were wearing so many things it was time to find the washroom and scrub like surgeons. Despite this, I could still detect just a little under my fingernails and around my cuticles, and had to take some care while eating crab legs for dinner because perfumed shellfish is not a pleasure!

I had another sprayer mishap with Jivago 24k (apparently there's some trick that I couldn't figure out) and ended up with it in the palm of my right hand. I found it curiously fruity and spicy, but not sweet, almost reminding me of something, but I couldn't remember what.

Marc Jacobs Lola was very fruity, but lush, creamy and mature also. A fruity oriental, I'd say.

BlackCat, do come visit! It would definitely be fun!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous