Code of Conduct

Default The Concept Behind Méchant Loup

There are a couple of Méchant Loup threads, with a lot of bashing going on, and the review section is very mixed. I just got a bottle of this, and want to put a little perspective on this fragrance.

Forget wet dogs, and whatever else - it is clear to me that the perfumer was consciously trying to recreate the taste and smell of morroccan aniseed cookies, aka Galettes à l'Anis. That is *exactly* what this smells like, period, down the the sugary hard baked dough. I am very familliar with this aroma from the assembly stage, throught the baking, right down to the eatin' because my grandmother and aunts made these all the time, and I still get some from time to time from my aunt.

I'm curious if anyone else who has eaten these cookies and tried this fragrance can see the connection. I'd be really shocked if the perfumer didn't have these in mind.

The come in various forms, but usually look like this

Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 29th June 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Default Re: The Concept Behind Méchant Loup

I haven't tasted those cookies, but I can tell you this -- Mechant Loup is an acquired taste.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Goodness, I hate anise and black licorice. Guess I can scratch this off my want-to-sample list.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

surprisingly, on me, it doesnt have that foody effect.. on me, it's hot hazelnut shells warmed up to a bit of anise and spices..the overall tone is very woody and smoky..to an extent, steamy...dries down to ever so beautiful notes of honey and vanilla sprinkled over woods....love it! cookies..? hmm..dont get tht conenction..maye coz i have never had such a cookie..

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    surprisingly, on me, it doesnt have that foody effect.. on me, it's hot hazelnut shells warmed up to a bit of anise and spices..the overall tone is very woody and smoky..to an extent, steamy...dries down to ever so beautiful notes of honey and vanilla sprinkled over woods....love it! cookies..? hmm..dont get tht conenction..maye coz i have never had such a cookie..
    They don't really taste like most other cookies, the taste is light and not too sweet, even if they are physically thick, and the dough is hard. Mechant Loup isn't the kind of thick sweet doughey bakey scent you'd associate with a cookie gourmand - but I'd bet anything that you'd see what I mean if you tasted those galettes.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    They don't really taste like most other cookies, the taste is light and not too sweet, even if they are physically thick, and the dough is hard. Mechant Loup isn't the kind of thick sweet doughey bakey scent you'd associate with a cookie gourmand - but I'd bet anything that you'd see what I mean if you tasted those galettes.

Sounds Fab! now, you owe all of us this niche cookie

the anise in this does not bother me at all, and usually such a note is a kiss of death for me.

in fact, Méchant Loup might be one of the most captivating fragrances for the Fall that I can recall. It is the scent of russet forests, overcast skies, woolens, and above all else... an incredible autumnal mood. It is a must have in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Sounds Fab! now, you owe all of us this niche cookie
    Uh oh, I better tell my 75 year old aunt to get cooking ... how many basenotes members are there?

Strifeknot, I wouldn't nix it just because of the anise, even if you have black licorice, I agree with Oaksbluff that the aniseseed in Mechant Loup probably won't chase away people who don't like black licorice or anice. Although it's prominent, it's also light, kind of like the rose in rose water.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 29th June 2009 at 08:58 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Smells like hazelnut. Like the coffemate stuff you put in your coffee. Not much else going on for me.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Basenotes Institution

Do the galettes taste very honey prominent Caesar? Because when I apply Mechant Loup (I've sampled it twice) it is ALL about honey on my skin. Disturbingly so, which is why I haven't warmed to it yet.

But then again, after recognizing that you and I have very different skin chemistry (from the Bois du Turquie thread) this might be a silly question.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 29th June 2009 at 09:15 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I can see where you get the honey, but it's not overwhelming to me as it is to you. I think some of the supporting notes make it seem more than it is maybe, and I'm descerning them a little better because I'm familliar with what's going on.

I think the cookies are made with sugar or honey depending on how much money the person cooking has!

Man, i wish these were more common so I'd know if it was just me and my chemistry! Either that or ask Bertrand Duchaufour! Incidentally, his last name means "Some Hot Oven" in French, so obviously he's all about baking cookies...
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I've never tried these cookies but I do like Mechant Loup and am somewhat puzzled with the bad reviews and general bashing it receives. I like the warm, spicy anise note, and my only complaint is that it comes off as a tad watery. I'd like a tad more ooomph and maybe a little more sweetness in the topnotes. It's cool to know there is an external inspiration for the scent...

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I've never tried these cookies but I do like Mechant Loup and am somewhat puzzled with the bad reviews and general bashing it receives. I like the warm, spicy anise note, and my only complaint is that it comes off as a tad watery. I'd like a tad more ooomph and maybe a little more sweetness in the topnotes. It's cool to know there is an external inspiration for the scent...
    I think all the artisan's are a tad watery! In this case it makes sense, which seems weird with a cookie, but it's a very "rosewatery" type essence, the anise I mean.

If you want to find these in a store, check out an Arab market. Sometimes they have them in plastic containers, but they aren't shaped like in that photo, they're more like rectangular biscuits.

The round ones are like the real grandma's make!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 29th June 2009 at 11:18 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Man, i wish these were more common so I'd know if it was just me and my chemistry! Either that or ask Bertrand Duchaufour! Incidentally, his last name means "Some Hot Oven" in French, so obviously he's all about baking cookies...
    You make me giggle sometimes Caesar. LOL.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac