Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Comme des Garçons Series 3 - Incense: Do I need all of them?

Hi again,

while stepping deeper into perfume, I realized that I love the scent od incense, like for example the one in CdG 2 Men. Meanwhile, I read so much here about the famous Incense Series of CdG, and I can feel the wish get stronger to own that series. Completely.

I never smelled any of them, as it is impossible to find a store, that owns them, but in this case, I would love to play with the risk a little bit, and get them blind.
    I want to use them also for wearing them without any other scent, but one of my thoughts is, that those 5 scents could be perfect for layering, to bring a little delicate incense charakter to a lot of other perfumes. Only applying a little little bit of one of them to a full wear of another perfume, to bring up more "mystery" or sth

Do You think that my idea will work, and they will layer quite good?
    And, I really feel the wish to own them all... is it worth it? Somehow I would miss sth if I only bought three and let the 2 others out...
    And, last question: What's the best place to buy them online? Maybe, does somebody even know some store that offers the complete package for a special Price?

If also one of You wants to sell his series 3 or parts of it, please write me. That would be best solution for me...

Default Re: Comme des Garçons Series 3 - Incense: Do I need all of them?

I find them to be too dry, and perhaps harsh, for me (as well as some others, such as Bois d'Encens and Tumulte Pour Homme). Instead, I prefer Azzaro's Visit, for example.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 29th June 2009 at 11:05 PM.

I found the CDG incense scents not entirely complex in composition nor very linear, mostly likely somewhere inbetween. I would not recommend them for layering. Try the Incense Parfum by Norman Kamali if you're looking for a good incense scent to layer with.

Yes, I'd probably buy them all if I had the money and didn't love so many other scents. They are all very good in their own way.

It comes in a box set if you're interested, but I'd look for a retailer in Germany or in Europe for somewhere closer. Luckyscent has hefty custom charges on international shipments.

Good Luck

I'd also recommend samples from either The Perfumed Court, The Perfume Shoppe or Luckyscent.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 30th June 2009 at 03:51 AM.

Oh, you really should try them all first - they're worlds different (literally, and olfactory).
    Being in Germany, hit up http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/ for samples first, then you'll know which ones are what you want.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Definitely sample them all first. i doubt most people would like them all equally and there are also lots of other great incense fragrances to consider as well. I found only Avignon and Jaisalmer FBW, incidentally.

I agree; try before you buy. I also agree that there are better incense fragrances to use if you want to use them to add mystery to other perfumes, although Avignon is probably the best to layer if you had to layer a CdG Insense fragrance.

Is it worth owning them all? Yes and no. Each of the Series 3 fragrances have their own unique character, evoking a different place and time; and each smells different enough from the others to warrant owning a bottle. However, I think most people develop an affinity for one or two of the series and end up wearing those most often. Personally I have bottles of Zagorsk and Ouarzazate and large decants of Avignon, Kyoto and Jaisalmer, and this suits me perfectly.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Well, that's a good point. I don't want "evocation," but an interesting ("dynamic") frag that is wearable. Because I find these dry, harsh frags so unwearable, I don't really care about slight variations that some feel evoke a particular place. Of course, on some level, I wish I could appreciate them, but I think my ability to appreciate frags has certain limits, and I've learned that "a man's got to know his limitations" when it comes to wearing frags.

I am a HUGE fan of CdG, despite the very abysmal longevity I get....I, myself covet the Incense line in particular. I currently own decants of Zagorsk and Avingon, and both scents utterly transfix me. I must add that I have positive memories of my time spent with Jesuit Catholics and various Orthodox prayer disciplines...for me, these frags are not just perfumes, but a kind of aromatherapy that other lines don't provide. I apply one of these two or Red: Sequoia just before bed, and find a unique sort of peace and stress relief that brings peaceful slumber. Of the three, I'd say that Zagorsk is an interesting child that could be born of a marriage of Avignon and Sequoia, of all things.

BUT, as I said, I recognize that this association taps in to very specific experiences I had with specific Churches in a specific part of the world. I don't see these scents as an ornamental perfume, but as a beautiful encapsulation of a scent memory. You definitely should find some samples and see how your own scent memories emerge.

I absolutely understand wanting to hoarde scents containing your favorite notes... the CdGs are all good but I'd suggest also trying other houses, and maybe get the CdGs over time. Some other great incense scents are Guerlain Bois d'Armenie, C&S Frankinscense & Myrrhe, Armani Bois d'Encens, and L'Artisan Timbuktu (among others). Personally I don't find that incense scents layer very well, especially not bold ones like the CdGs.

Since someone mentioned it, my experience with Azzaro Visit is that it's a knockoff of the discontinued Gucci Rush, which itself is an average incense/cedar. If you can afford the CdGs or other suggestions you'd probably be quite happy with them.

Basenotes Institution

I am a CdG Incense fan (I own 4 of the 5). Nonetheless, sample them first. As jrd4t pointed out, samples can be purchased easily online.

Owning all 5 might feel good (if you're a bottle completist or collector), but after some time if you don't like the scents themselves you're going to regret owning fragrances you don't wear.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

i have had 4 of the 5 before, but sold off all of them due to reasons not limiting to the scents themselves. i have always craved for it since then.

Owning full bottles of the entire series is too much to have. partial bottles, a definite yes. on a sidenote, everyone here needs to have least 10ml each of all the 5 scents. it's such a pleasure and experience in itself. my favorite series to wear at home..

ps. i've a partial bottle of Ouarzazate now and on a hunt for others (Ouarzazate is simply fabulous and one of the most wearable of the series along with Jaisalmer, followed by Kyoto)

With a few exceptions (CdG 3) CdGs seem to radically lose any initial attraction they have to me. I soon grew tired of Kyoto and Jaisalmer because of the evident (and to me, obnoxious) way they employ synthetic compounds. Avignon works somewhat better, but I never wear it for fear of being mistaken for a gothic spire. Zagorsk is the only one I have not tried, leaving Ourzazate, which is very mild and wearable and probably best to layer as well.
    I've heard great things about Profvmvm's Incense (though I found what I've tried from the line disappointing) and my personal favorite is vintage C&S Frankincense & Myrrh. And, since you're in Frankfurt, you could easily get your hands on that weird German gothic line Parfume Noire who have a line of incense frags - The styrax is great, cheap, very natural and light enough for layering !
    Last edited by the_good_life; 30th June 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I've heard great things about Profvmvm's Incense.
    Profumum has an incense scent, which one is that?

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Profumum has an incense scent, which one is that?
    Why, Olibanum (=Frankincense), of course
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Why, Olibanum (=Frankincense), of course
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that one. I tried it, a double your price Passage d'Enfer.

Avignon and Zagorsk might work quite well.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that one. I tried it, a double your price Passage d'Enfer.
    Hmm, I was disappointed by Passage d'Enfer as well. Though Costes by Giacobetti is a really wonderful feel-good incense - no less synthetic than CdG, but works for me.
    My Wardrobe

Off Topic: Passage d'enfer has more in common with CDG Kyoto. Nothing about it reminds me of Olibanum. matter of fact, nothin in the incense series smells like Profumum's Olibanum.

Durbano's Rock Crystal does smell like Profumums Olibanum though, and cud be bought for half the price.

If I were you, I'd sniff them first and then get decants of the ones you like. By the time you finish the decants, you'll know which ones are bottle-worthy (and I'm only saying this becasue they are the type of scents you can easily fall out of love with).

To be completely honest, you don't really need to own any of them but you do need to sniff them.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Off Topic: Passage d'enfer has more in common with CDG Kyoto. Nothing about it reminds me of Olibanum. matter of fact, nothin in the incense series smells like Profumum's Olibanum.

Durbano's Rock Crystal does smell like Profumums Olibanum though, and cud be bought for half the price.
    I absolutely agree. In fact, haven't we agreed with each other on this point before?

Double the longevity than Passage d'Enfer too But yeah -- I see what you mean.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Off Topic: Durbano's Rock Crystal does smell like Profumums Olibanum though, and cud be bought for half the price.
    And Rock Crystal's longevity? I've heard it's not that great...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    And Rock Crystal's longevity? I've heard it's not that great...
    definitely good. im yet to encounter a Durbano scent with bad longevity..

Christian Lacroix Tumulte is a very dry, smooth cedar and incense scent. It reminds me alot of Kyoto, but is available much cheaper. I've actually been mixing it with water and putting it in an oil burner lately & it smells great!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Thank You for all of Your answers!

Yes, now, after reading, I realize, that I also was afraid a little bit, that those scents could be fascinating first, but then, after a while, just loose their fascination, because You realize, that You definetly cannot wear them often or just don't like them all...

Well, and as I ordered "Musc Ravageur" and "Geranium pour Monsieur" today (yeah!), I think The Incense Series has to take a step back anyway. Probably those two FM-Scents will bring more fun and pleassure to me that the series

But, as You also recommended me, I really want then at least small Versions of the Series three..! Is there a place where I can get them all 5 together as a decant? I couldn't find it yet... Of course, I am also willingly to pay for it!

Thank You again for preventing me of euphorically throwing my Money out of the window (again), hehe...

"And, since you're in Frankfurt, you could easily get your hands on that weird German gothic line Parfume Noire who have a line of incense frags - The styrax is great, cheap, very natural and light enough for layering !"

Wow, that looks weird, haha! Well the titles of there perfumes sound a little cheesy, but well if You recommand it... Do You own some of them?

The CDG incenses were great... until Serge Noire and the Durbanos.

They smell either too woody or too cold to me now.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YourSound View Post
    ...Is there a place where I can get them all 5 together as a decant? I couldn't find it yet... Of course, I am also willingly to pay for it! ...
    http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products...NSESAMPLE.aspx
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post
    The CDG incenses were great... until Serge Noire and the Durbanos.

They smell either too woody or too cold to me now.
    And too synthetic...
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th June 2009 at 07:06 PM.

GREAT! Order placed... each of the 5 as 5ml decant. Still expensive enough Thank You!

Oh, I didn't think you were going to bite the bullet so soon. If I wasn't so busy I would have advised you against it...

Just a word of advice: check out the following website BEFORE buying anything from TPC:

http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewforum....7a8d394b70bc3a

Dr Creed and Gerald could have provided you with at least three of them.

Sorry.

No Problem, I surely will come back on that!

Yeah, sometimes purchasing perfumes happens quick... very quick, haha... You all know, hmm?

So, here we go: My Samples arrived today, and right now I am wearing Jaisalmer: It is totally heavenly!!!

Thanks again for Your advices; If they all are as good as Jaisalmer... maybe I will think again about a BIG Purchase...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YourSound View Post
    So, here we go: My Samples arrived today, and right now I am wearing Jaisalmer: It is totally heavenly!!!

Thanks again for Your advices; If they all are as good as Jaisalmer... maybe I will think again about a BIG Purchase...
    Good luck. When I first tested Jaisalmer years ago, it was instant love for me too. Enjoy!

I'll second the Armani, though it's damn expensive.

I'll also second the Jaisalmer, which is my favourite of the CdG Incense series, followed closely by Avignon.

If you like the latter, I'll also recommend Heely's Cardinal, which is more a more "natural" depiction of church incense.

Other "must trys" include Ettro Messe de Minuit and CdG original EdP and CdG White.

Also check out the new range of Aveda Chakras, especially numbers 1 and 7.

I have many incense scents and these are my favourites.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Good luck. When I first tested Jaisalmer years ago, it was instant love for me too. Enjoy!
    I bought a new bottle this past weekend in New York. It is nice to have it again in my wardrobe.
    It has such a beautiful spicy accord with the right amount of sweetness.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I bought a new bottle this past weekend in New York. It is nice to have it again in my wardrobe.
    It has such a beautiful spicy accord with the right amount of sweetness.
    Enjoy B! It's an instant compliment getter with my man, too, which is always nice. It is also one of the Series, which wears just as well in warm and cool weather.

The cardamom note, reminds me of freshly grated cardamom pods.

I don't think scents like Serge Noire by Serge Lutens (one of my fav' scents) would have existed, were it not for scents like Jaisalmer.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My favorite of the series, too. Unfortunately, I got a bad case of the hives when I sprayed it on me and had to sell it. My least favorite is Zagorsk, green peppers from hell.

Thought I'd chime in, since I've had a chance to sample the entire line and purchase three (Avignon, Kyoto and Ouarazate). If I was going to rank them I'd say:

1) Avignon
    2) Kyoto
    3) Ourzazate
    4) Zagorsk
    5) Jaisalmer

Avignon is a dark, austere and realistic Catholic church incense, which is wonderfully smokey (without being bitter) rounded off with a clever addition of chamomile and vanilla, to blunt the sharp edges and make it eminently wearable. I may be slightly biased towards this one since it's the newest acquisition of the the three. The others I will comment on shortly....

to put it simply, yes, you need all 5 of them. i'd rate kyoto last just because i find it too similar to lacroix tumulte which i find it far superior (also longevity is much better).

There I must go opposite Danny - Kyoto is my favourite. But maybe it's just because it's light incense which I prefer to the heavy one

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    to put it simply, yes, you need all 5 of them.
    Oh yes.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is a CDG shop or two in Berlin. If you take the train there (or car?), it should cost half to equal what one bottle would? If that would be convenient anyway. Then you could experience them in person first, unless buying online is the only workable option. You should sample them all since you love incense so much!

Big incense lover here too. I started in unabashed excitement with two full bottles, only of the ones I found myself addicted to, though decants are on order for some of the others. I find they layer beautifully with whatever you, within reason, combine them.

My FBs: Avignon is the classic and absolutely full-bottle worthy.
    Kyoto -- I love it while it lasts, but finally traded mine away because it disappeared within, I'm not kidding, about eight minutes on my skin, even in large quantitates. Might only happen to certain unlucky of us? Like Danny, I picked up Lacroix Tumulte PH (a very light hand needed with that) as replacement. If Kyoto works and at least sort of lasts on you, you're lucky!

You say you like incense for the depth and mystery it brings. Which type of mystery: religious, mystical, countercultural, combinations thereof ...? Am I being too silly to try to question mystery?

I love incense not for the religious associations but instead for the hedonistic and unsavory bohemian associations, therefore Avignon, even though people say it's churchy all the time, is a slightly louder, straight-ahead classic incense to me evocative of decadent dusty opium den rock n roll but with an infusion of taste and contemplative wonder (not as much of the druggy kind).
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 8th August 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie et ivoire View Post
    There is a CDG shop or two in Berlin. If you take the train there (or car?), it should cost half of what one bottle would. Then you could experience them in person first, unless buying online is the only workable option. You should sample them all since you love incense so much!

Big incense lover here too. I started in unabashed excitement with two full bottles, only of the ones I found myself addicted to, though decants are on order for some of the others. I find they layer beautifully with whatever you, within reason, combine them.

Kyoto -- I love it while it lasts, but finally traded mine away because it disappeared within, I'm not kidding, about eight minutes on my skin, even in large quantitates. Might only happen to certain unlucky of us? Like Danny, I picked up Lacroix Tumulte PH (a very light hand needed with that) as replacement. If Kyoto works and at least sort of lasts on you, you're lucky!

You say you like incense for the depth and mystery it brings. Which type of mystery: religious, mystical, countercultural, combinations thereof ...? Seems a bit funny to try to question mystery, haha.

I love incense not for the religious associations but instead for the hedonistic and unsavory bohemian associations, therefore Avignon, even though people say it's churchy all the time, is a slightly louder, straight-ahead classic incense to me evocative of decadent dusty opium den rock n roll but with an infusion of taste and contemplative wonder (not as much of the druggy kind).
    You're not the only one, I get poor longevity from almost all of them, with Ourzazate being the worst offender, with Kyoto unfortunately not far behind it. Zargorsk seems to have the best longevity/projection and Avignon I've only just got today, but so far so good.

There is a CDG shop or two in Berlin.
    Two, one in the Linienstrasse wich is the typical CDG store a-la Dover Street Market or Black on the 10th ave in NY. They carry the whole range of fragrances. The other one is called Lil Shop (a former Guerrilla Store) in Brunnenstrasse. Good clothes but VERY few fragrances...

There is a CDG shop or two in Berlin. If you take the train there (or car?), it should cost half to equal what one bottle would? If that would be convenient anyway. Then you could experience them in person first, unless buying online is the only workable option. You should sample them all since you love incense so much!

You say you like incense for the depth and mystery it brings. Which type of mystery: religious, mystical, countercultural, combinations thereof ...? Am I being too silly to try to question mystery?

i LOVE zagorsk because it reminds me of a greek orthodox church which reminds me of my childhood (i'm greek orthodox by birth if you haven't guessed already).. it's the smell of those damned candles (don't think they make them like that anymore).. pardon me god for using the word 'damned' in the same sentence with 'candles' but i can't help it, i'm atheist.. lol (feel compulsed to use 'lol')

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    pardon me god for using the word 'damned' in the same sentence with 'candles' but i can't help it, i'm atheist.. lol (feel compulsed to use 'lol')
    *giggle*

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

3 year old thread, folks....

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Yes, but Duke Hunt bumped it to add his comments after his purchases...I don't see the problem.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm merely pointing out that perhaps the OP is no longer looking for advice....

I'm merely pointing out that perhaps the OP is no longer looking for advice....
    Hopefully

On a different level, considering the "generic" title of the thread, I thought it could turn into an informative discussion on the Incense Series, hence my previous comment....

you're killing the mood...
    please allow us..

Yeah but the OP doesn't own this thread. I think the benefit of a thread carries on as long as people read it and even add to it.
    There are people discovering the incense series everyday. This thread helps them and adding to it is better than starting a new one where only some information is posted there, and some here. Defragmentation is difficult.

Personally I liked Avignon so much I bought a second bottle. Now I can spray to my Arab heart's content.

The whole line is excellent. Representative of an 'incense series'. Well done to CDG, Mark Buxton and Bertrand Duchaufour.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

I just recently sampled the Incense line and I loved it!! I wanted them all but the one that called for me at the time was Ourzazate...which I picked up. I can't get enough of Ourzazate...it's my SOTD, but I hate that it is so short lived, but while it's there I enjoy every whiff. Anybody figured out how to get it to last a little longer? Even though it's short lived I still think it's FBW. I would like to pick up the whole line eventually. It doesn't hurt my wallet as much to do it one bottle at a time.

I'm not sure now everyone is saying projection and longevity is lacking.

They're all very strong in these two areas.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

I absolutely agree Hedonist. Expecially Avignon....

I would also recommend ordering samples from the websites mentioned already above. They all very nice scents and I understand the idea of owning them all, but more from the collector point of view rather than from the real need to use all of them. My favorite one in Ouarzazate.

Basenotes Junkie

I wish this were the case for me! Usually when people mention that a certain frag (that I happen to own) has poor longevity and projection I can't figure out what they are talking about because that isn't the case for me...until Ouarzazate...it seriously has no longevity or projection on me whatsoever. It lasts maybe 1 hour if I'm lucky...but I still absolutely love the stuff.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found all of them except Kyoto at least not too horrible but below average on those factors, Avignon, though, rather good. Maybe there's a lot of batch variability?

Ha, I didn't even notice! Read the whole thread but didn't think to read the dates. Never do, will start! Nonetheless, I appreciate this thread 'cause I'm looking to buy a new FB from the series after parting ways with Kyoto: it's between Jaisalmer and Zagorsk for now! Re-sampling ...

pardon me god for using the word 'damned' in the same sentence with 'candles' but i can't help it, i'm atheist.. lol (feel compulsed to use 'lol')
    ha! oh that compulsion is the guilt! the deeply ingrained conditioning, and what makes us love this incense, probably, even if I claim it's all rock-n-rolla.

Ha, I didn't even notice! Read the whole thread but didn't think to read the dates. Never do, will start! Nonetheless, I appreciate this thread 'cause I'm looking to buy a new FB from the series after parting ways with Kyoto: it's between Jaisalmer and Zagorsk for now! Re-sampling ...
    Actually you did a good thing not minding at the dates. We have so many similar threads on Basenotes because people don't use the search function. Reviving old threads to re-start a discussion with fresher opinions and thoughs is actually cool. Expecially when the title of the thread is sort of "generic" as in this specific case...

Re your choice, between the two you mentioned I'd go for Zagorsk. Chilling, austere, outdoorsy...Jaisalmer, while being very nice, has an overall tiger-balm vibe which becomes sort of off-putting on my skin....I'd probably end up buying a bottle of it but, so far, it's porbably my least favorite...