Code of Conduct

Default Carnations for men?

I go gaga for the deep, spicy scent of carnation. Can anyone recommend a good, unisex or masculine fragrance that features this scent?

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Carnations for men?

Carnation (Series 2: Red) by Comme des Garcons
    Malmaison by Floris
    Equipage by Hermes
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Question Re: Carnations for men?

mikeperez23: Mike Equipage smells like fresh carnations? I was considering Bellodgia. Give me the scoop on Equipage please.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Carnation (Series 2: Red) by Comme des Garcons
    Malmaison by Floris
    Equipage by Hermes

Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories

I second Equipage. Original Dunhill for Men has carnation.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    mikeperez23: Mike Equipage smells like fresh carnations? I was considering Bellodgia. Give me the scoop on Equipage please.
    I don't recall carnation being that prominent either, but it is one of the listed notes for Equipage. Coup de Fouet might be a more easily worn Caron, but that may just be because I didn't like Bellodgia as much as I thought I would.

DSH Ouillets Rouge is on the feminine side of the gender fence, but I like pairing a small amount of it with Knize Ten (which also has a listed carnation note.) Quorum definitely has carnation in it, but that's drowned out if oversprayed.

Thank you! Of all of these, I think I've only sampled Equipage, which I'll need to revisit.

As to Dunhill Man, which one is the original???

Quote Originally Posted by renifleur View Post
    Thank you! Of all of these, I think I've only sampled Equipage, which I'll need to revisit.

As to Dunhill Man, which one is the original???
    This is the Original Dunhill for men, also called Dunhill 1934. Here is a pic

Guerlain Terracotta Voile d'Ete - it's got carnation and while it's marketed to women it's totally unisex.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Zino Davidoff.

IMO, as masculine a carnation scent as you can get.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by renifleur View Post
    I go gaga for the deep, spicy scent of carnation. Can anyone recommend a good, unisex or masculine fragrance that features this scent?

Thanks!
    If you find it, let me know. I have extended my sampling even into the feminine domaine (Nina Ricci). The masculines are either too heavy for my soul (Dunhill 34), or without depth (Equipage). And all of them miss the intense and sweet, not overbearing spiciness of the real flower! And their lack of freshness always brings them close to raw carnation oil (eugenol). The best I could come up with so far: Lorenzo Villoresi's Garofano.
    Last edited by narcus; 29th June 2009 at 07:19 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Equipage is a masculine chypre with a heart of carnation, in amongst the vetiver and oakmoss. Nothing like Belladogia IMO, which is much more floral, but nonetheless the carnation is there.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

What about PDN New York ?

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    If you find it, let me know. I have extended my sampling even into the feminine domaine (Nina Ricci). The masculines are either too heavy for my soul (Dunhill 34), or without depth (Equipage). And all of them miss the intense and sweet, not overbearing spiciness of the real flower! And their lack of freshness always brings them close to raw carnation oil (eugenol). The best I could come up with so far: Lorenzo Villoresi's Garofano.
    I agree with narcus. I love this one on really hot, humid days here in Kentucky.

Tabac Original
    Tsar (esp old juice)
    Francisco Smalto
    Last edited by MisterK; 29th June 2009 at 02:41 PM.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I'd suggest Garofano from Santa Maria Novella - fresh, spicy and amazing.

Off-Scenter

If it's a real carnation experience you're after, my top recommendation would be the Comme des Garçons Carnation. It's a photorealistic, spicy carnation that reads as gender neutral to me.

LPNo9 for Her (Penhaligons) has a nice spicy carnation heart, and Maxim's PH also.

Must try Garofano again. I've read that Lonestar Memories has a carnation note but I can't find it. But it's that way with florals and me sometimes. I have to be shown where to focus my attention and only then do I get it. So anybody: where do you sniff to get the carnation note in LM?

Soie Rouge by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. A strong, almost soliflore, carnation concoction. I happen to love it.

Could you explain this concept of knowing "where" to sniff? I'm still struggling to figure out how to identify all the notes that are advertised in a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I have to be shown where to focus my attention and only then do I get it. So anybody: where do you sniff to get the carnation note in LM?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

For those wanting wet, cold carnations fresh from the florist's fridge: Demeter Wet Garden.
    This is one of my husband's favorites. Sprayed on clothing/fabric, it has reasonable longevity.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Nino Cerruti (1979)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Must try Garofano again. I've read that Lonestar Memories has a carnation note but I can't find it. But it's that way with florals and me sometimes. I have to be shown where to focus my attention and only then do I get it. So anybody: where do you sniff to get the carnation note in LM?
    Garofano is just another word for carnation and its prominence is more than obvious. In contrast to Lonestar and a few others suggested in this thread, it's not a supporting note only. I think even Tabac Blond, Knize Ten and Cuiron may have carnation somewhere but their theme is always leather and not a single flower or a floral bouquet.

CdG's Carnation and MP&G's Soie Rouge sound very interesting to me, thanks for the recommendations, Vibert and Ruggles!
    Last edited by narcus; 1st July 2009 at 09:07 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Someday I will shut up about Une Fleur de Cassie (not today...sorry.)

I find the carnation here very prominent...the scent itself is a mishmash of florals, but as a whole, I find it spicy, herbal, and floral...all of which I associate with carnation.

Many excellent suggestions.

Let me suggest Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps EDP (vintage 1980s formulation).

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 30th June 2009 at 01:37 PM.