Code of Conduct

Default Litsea Cubeba / May Chang

From the Note Identification Project Thread:

Litsea Cubeba
    (eo, china): first impression pure bigsized lemon, after some seconds it develops into something pleasantly mellow, and with some zesty notes. the odour intensity of it is enormous i would give it an 9 out of ten.
    Last edited by Asha; 3rd July 2009 at 04:04 AM.

Default Re: Litsea Cubeba / May Chang

This is a monster lemon scent that will overpower just about anything else. Incredibly strong citrus.

Cooler, sharper and much heavier citrus than my lemon oil with an initial hit to the nose like eucalyptus then a slightly floral edge that reminds me of hawthorn blossom.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    This is a monster lemon scent that will overpower just about anything else. Incredibly strong citrus.
    Strongest lemon scent I have ever experienced.

Not surprising since it is mostly citral! I have not smelled honey myrtle but apparently it's supposed to have the highest content.

One image Litsea brings to mind is that of one taking a big spoonful of lemon sorbet outside on a sunny day: A very "sunny" intense lemon/citrus follow by a good dose of freshness and a certain coolness. Personally I am a big fan as it reminds of my favorite ice block that has since gone out of production (Fruju tropical snow for those kiwis amoung us)

From my experience it seems to add a bit of lift and freshness/lightness to spice-centic blends when used in small amounts. It also is useful when you want a citrus note to last that little bit longer in an accord.

In higher concentrations in some blends it does tend to get a bit headaches for me and sometimes causes something of a lemon-detergent effect if one is particularly injudicious.