Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you wear "winter" fragrances in hot weather?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

52 42.28%
  • No

26 21.14%
  • I don't believe in "season-specific" fragrances

45 36.59%

Question Do You Wear "Winter" Fragrances in Hot Weather?

For those who believe in season-specific scents, I'm curious how many folks might go against the grain and wear heavier scents in hot weather.

My definition of heavier would include (from my wardrobe) scents like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, Ambre Absolute, Creed Royal Delight, etc.

I've been gravitating towards purchasing mostly "colder weather" fragrances because I found that during the cold snap this past Christmas I was lacking some of the heavier, warm, "thick" fragrances. In other words, my wardrobe consisted mainly of aquatics/green fragrances.

Default Re: Do You Wear "Winter" Fragrances in Hot Weather?

I'm in Singapore, its hot and humid year round

I'm wearing heavy doses of tom Ford Black Orchid.
    I love Montale Aouds..and wear them

Some heavyweights which are loved in Winter.. BTW, i have only experience 1 winter on a holiday.

Montale SOD / Keiko Loukoum
    Montale Vanille Absolu / Queen Aoud..

So who says you can't do heavy in an oven.
    I'm sniffing my Tom Ford Black Orchid as I type.. and loving every min. :P
    Just spritz it on my neck again... so intoxicating ...

I do wear heavy winter scent in hot weather, but mostly for my own enjoyment.

It makes no difference to me what time of year it is or what the weather is like.

Realistically I'm in air conditioned comfort 97% of the day, so even massive heat doesn't maje too much difference.

AromiErotici

I wear whatever I'm in the mood to smell regardless of temps. I simply adjust the amount if it's a heavy and it's warm / hot.

I go with 5 sprays to the chest with M7. No problems at all. Although i spent most of the day in an air conditioned place.

Blog Entries

Yep. I tend to wear my orientals/gourmands on summer evenings/nights if I'm out & about.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I usually wear anything, anytime -- then again i'm a freak

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Opium PH, Antaeus and Santos are seen, at least from what I gathered and questioned, far more "winter", rather than "summer" scents, but I would consider wearing them in summer too and, actually, during the whole year.

I live in a very cold zone of Chile. Here the summer is very short, but I tend to use sometimes citrus in winter.....or sweet in summer....In general depends on my mood.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not that I wouldn't wear "winter fragrances" in summer, or vice versa, it's that they simply don't appeal to me when the weather isn't appropriate. I'm not attracted to aquatics or heavy citrusy scents in the colder months and am not interested in oriental, heavy leather etc. in summer.

I'm with you on this one, though as others have said - having air conditioning allows one to control the climate to have it a bit cooler and the heavier fragrances won't, from my experiences, "spoil" or even sweeten from too much body heat.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    It's not that I wouldn't wear "winter fragrances" in summer, or vice versa, it's that they simply don't appeal to me when the weather isn't appropriate. I'm not attracted to aquatics or heavy citrusy scents in the colder months and am not interested in oriental, heavy leather etc. in summer.

I generally don't put much stock in the season-specific concept. There are a few things I won't wear at certain times, but that's strictly on a frag-by-fag basis.

I've come to realize that the stuff people call winter/fall that I wouldn't wear in summer are the ones I wouldn't wear much anyway if at all.

Today on a roll with "less expensive fragrances" I wore Halston Z-14 in moderation. I have also worn Halston Z-14 to the beach...a light spray...

Sur la Plage

I wear whatever whenever.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I wear whatever whenever.
    We aren't talking tennis skirts to baby showers, and evening dresses to Target...we are talking fragrances Mary. Please tell me you don't spritz A*Men Pure Coffee before heading out to walk that cute puppy of yours in the Florida heat.

Heavy fragrances often work exceptionally well in hot weather, and I wear them anytime! I also enjoy something fresh and green once in a while, especially during spring/summer when the weather is cool and maybe a bit rainy.

During the day I usually wear "lighter" fragrances b/c I'm in an office all day and I want to be polite. At night, if I'm out, I'll wear pretty much anything.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    We aren't talking tennis skirts to baby showers, and evening dresses to Target...we are talking fragrances Mary. Please tell me you don't spritz A*Men Pure Coffee before heading out to walk that cute puppy of yours in the Florida heat.
    No. I usually use 8-10 spays of Fracas for that activity - paired with my Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yes, i just go light on the trigger.

I used to do it because I had a real hard time finding summer scents that I enjoyed as much as my heavier, cold weather fragrances... Thankfully, I'm starting to find quality stuff that works year round...

No. I usually use 8-10 spays of Fracas for that activity - paired with my Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress.
    Funny...I would have pictured you in something by Jil Sander or Prada. That is a compliment by the way.
    Fracas? My Lord, your dog must be wondering how he got adopted into this home. His sense of smell has to constipated after experiencing that much Fracas, along with those unfiltered Camels you smoke like the lady (Mary's Mom) in 'There Is Something about Mary'. Your skin looks better than hers though from your pics.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 1st July 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Yes I do.....not often but I do....and I do believe that there are certain seasons or times when certain fragrances are better choices......I can't take heavy scents when it is really hot......I'm the same with sweet scents.....There are Leather scents that I will not wear when it's hot.....Gary

Now that's SASSY!! I would love to see that, along with spiked Manolos.

But I think that some scents work regardless of season. Shalimar is glorious in summer heat, just as Opium is. Youth Dew and Azurée are also glorious. I think it is whatever makes you feel good. Although I will admit, I do have a difficult time with EdC such as Imperiale in the winter months, just a tad too citrus. But I have enjoyed Fracas in cooler temps and it is nice.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

There are certain classics that work particularly well when the temperature is high, but part of the fun of owning so many diverse fragrances is the process of trial and error.There really aren't any hard and fast rules, and as is often the case, it's what works for you.

Interesting responses and results so far -

Is it just me, or do people not have any trouble finding fragrances for the winter/colder weather? It seems there's a new thread asking "what fragrances are best for the beach/summer" almost weekly.

Hilarious!

Funny...I would have pictured you in something by Jil Sander or Prada. That is a compliment by the way.
    Fracas? My Lord, your dog must be wondering how he got adopted into this home. His sense of smell has to constipated after experiencing that much Fracas, along with those unfiltered Camels you smoke like the lady (Mary's Mom) in 'There Is Something about Mary'. Your skin looks better than hers though from your pics.

Depends on the mood but I'm just never in the mood for Parfum d'Habit on a hot summer day. That would just make me plain uncomfortable. But at night, maybe. I just go light on the spraying.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Seriously though....before I went into wardrobe minimalism mode 2009, I used to wear Heritage, Vintage Tabarome, AdCuba - SMN, and other heavy hittters in warm weather. I used only a a mimimal application under my shirt and they blossomed beautifully. I actually picked up more nuances, and notes jumping around, than I did in cool weather wearings. Wear what you want, when you want, but just be careful on application and use them on summer evenings more than days. Just my two scents.

I've done the wardrobe minimalism thing myself. Everything I have a bottle of gets worn weekly or every two weeks - the exception being something very special that I might reserve for important occasions.

I'm going to try light applications of the heavier scents. I did Amouage Reflection the other night and had to ask myself if I would be better off with something green, or a citrus.. but it actually developed beautifully, as you said, with lots of the subtleties and nuances coming out that I'd never smelled before.

Seriously though....before I went into wardrobe minimalism mode 2009, I used to wear Heritage, Vintage Tabarome, AdCuba - SMN, and other heavy hittters in warm weather. I used only a a mimimal application under my shirt and they blossomed beautifully. I actually picked up more nuances, and notes jumping around, than I did in cool weather wearings. Wear what you want, when you want, but just be careful on application and use them on summer evenings more than days. Just my two scents.

Who's the bright spark that came up with that marketing gem for us suckers to buy more fragrance?

As for me I am hooked on A*Men Pure Coffee. Winter or Summer, it makes my wife want to eat me and that's what counts.

This summer I've begun to wear a lot of frags I used to think of as more or less exclusively cold weather frags. Yatagan, No. 88, and LADDM have all proven to work very well even in hot weather.

But there are still a few scents that I really don't like in hot weather. Fumerie Turque is great in cold weather, but if I wear it when it's really hot out, I smell like a dirty ashtray by the end of the day. And Knize Ten is one of my all-time favorites, but I can't imagine spraying it on in the heat!

I've been noticing lately as I walk my dog in the heat that my scents have been evaporating quickly as I sweat, causing a little aroma of the scent around me.

In the evening, on a hot summer night, I enjoy a nice amber.

Wearing A*Men as I type

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I live in Nigeria where its hot and humid all year round.

Frags are not like clothing, which are naturally season-specific.

I actually only learned about the "season-specific" concept here on BaseNotes. Knowledge i dont intend to apply
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The other day I wore Tobacco Vanille on a hot, humid summer night. It seemed it was a totally different experience, with a lot more tobacco coming through than vanilla. I'm still getting acquainted with the scent, though.

Dependent

I guess i wear them as long as its not TOO humid(though its not easy where im from). I tend to apply less so the perspiration doesn't spoil it too much, when I know i'll be out in the open more often than if I was in the comfort of an air conditioned environment(office, home, eateries etc.)

Vacationing at Isle of Palms near Charleston, SC, and it's been about 95 every day. I've been wearing Habit Rouge EDC daily and its been great. I only travelled with a small bottle of Trumpers Bay Rum and picked up the HR at an outlet the other day. The Bay Rum was just so fleeting so I gave the Guerlain a shot and have been pleased. I would avoid the HR EDT in this weather but the EDC wears pretty close to the skin. I tend to wear a number of heavier perfumes in the summer more than I do my citrics in winter. They just die on the vine in colder weather.

Generally I wear whatever I want when I want, BUT, I have come to realize a weird pattern for myself. Last winter I found myself really wanting light, fresh, watery scents that most would consider spring or summer scents. I figured it was just a weird phase but now in the summer I'm wanting gourmands and orientals? I can't figure it out...
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Since Thailand has no winter season I wear any type of fragrance whenever I feel like it, but of course, I go light when using a heavy scent.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Sure, but it'd be not cool to overdo it. One shouldn't spray sh*tload of Cerutti 1881 Black, or Hugo Boss Dark Blue, Givenchy Pi etc. during warm and humid weather. Why I'm saying this? People do spray a lot, specialy women...and these aren't fresh, but cloying and zealously sweet scents. You just don't wanna feel this on 33 Celsius degrees, makes your head hurt...

I wear whatever I like and adjust the amount. Antaeus is excellent on a very hot day but I only use 1 spray whereas in the winter I might use 3.

Totally dig my heavier scents in the summer, albeit with less sprays than in cooler months.

Although there has been one exception in my wardrobe so far, and that was L'eau de Navagateur. I went light on the application and it still way too much. It's a damn potent scent though.

As for buying heavier scents vs 'summer' scents, I think it is way easier. It does seem like finding really great scents that work best in colder weather is a much less painful task. It's so easy to be smooth and rich and satisfying, and have good longevity, when you're a cold weather scent.

Summer.. not so much. Is it cos of Calone, I wonder?

I decided to resurrect this thread with my vote. I do indeed consider some fragrance more appropriate for hot weather and some more appropriate for cooler weather.

What I wear, like many, is often driven by emotion. Seasons do indeed play a part in one's emotional outlook.

However, I do respect those that say WTF, I wear what I want when I want. But to me, there are definitely summer and winter fragrances.

However, please feel to disregard my vote as I most likely suffer from SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I agree, though I've had some pleasant surprises when I went against my instincts and wore frags in their (perceived, anyway) "off-season". Chergui turns out to perform beautifully on lazy summer nights. Cold lends Philosykos a nice crisp edge. OTOH, I really hate Hiris when it's cold and gloomy, nor can I stand Ambre Narguilé in the heat. All depends on the specific frag an my specific mood, I guess.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'm addicted to orientals so summer doesn't stop that, though I've found that this summer heavy, mossy chypres I just can't stand. It's odd. My CdG Original gets just as much use, but Soir de Lune made me gag on just a moderately warm day.

3 related conclusions emerge (for me) on this thread: that in other cultures/countries where it's hot most of the time, this is NOT an issue. Check out the scent prefs from India, Africa, the Middle East...and SE Asia. Actually, heavier scents may be a better option than attempts at "freshness."

But here's the big one at least new for me believe it or not, that when lightly applied many of these heavier scents open up into magic...