Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Question CADJMERE 18 vs. all other vanilla-orientals

Yesterday, after feeding the mosquitoes, I was looking for a scent that was as opposite Cutter Fresh Scent Insect Repellent as possible. I was drawn to a collection of samples I think of as tawny, soothing, and sweet: vanilla orientals.

(Lilybelle recently mentioned applying Boucheron Trouble but running out of patience for the desirable drydown and washing it off, and I related that the desk drawer I've spilled Trouble in smells wonderful because it radiates Trouble's basenotes.)

I tried to zero in which of my samples best represent Trouble's basenotes, and I guess Parfumerie Generale's Cadjmere 18 travels to the best notes fastest, but at great financial cost. Maybe I'll feel like getting a decant of C18, but can't help but wonder why there is nearly a $100 cost differential between it and similar-smelling products. (Admittedly, some of the VOs listed below bear some unpleasant synthetic notes during some phases.)

C18: myrtle branch, sap, red tangerine, rosewood, Kenyan cypress resin, coconut milk, sandalwood bark, ambrette seed, vanilla.

Trouble: citron, foxglove, jasmine and vanilla.
    Spark: honey, caramel, rose, warm cinnamon, enticing vanilla, musk and cedar.
    Addict: mandarin leaf, silk tree flower; queen of the night, rose, jasmine, orange blossom; vanilla, sandalwood, tonka bean
    Tocade: bergamot, freesia, green note, geranium; rose, jasmine, magnolia, lily-of-the-valley; vanilla, cedar, amber, musk
    Casmir: peach, apricot, raspberry, black currant; rosewood, mandarin, carnation, cinnamon; vanilla, benzoin, tonka, opoponax
    Obsession: bergamot, green note, basil, mandarin; jasmine, orange blossom, coriander, sandal; vanilla, amber, incense, vetiver.
    Must de Cartier: galbanum, pineapple, peach, aldehydes; jasmine, rose, narcissus, neroli; sandal, tonka, amber, vanilla
    Roma: pink grapefruit, black currant, mint, hyacinth; jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley, sandal; vanilla, amber, musk, civet.

Are there notables from this category you care to opine about?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: CADJMERE 18 vs. all other vanilla-orientals

To my nose Serge Lutens Douce Amere registers a similar smelling sillage to Cadjmere, by sillage I specifically mean -- when smelled from a distance. Up close they smell distinctively different. Cadjmere employs milky rosewood [with a sandalwoody undertone] whereas Douce Amere is all about the Caramel and Licorice. Both are quite "heady" compositions to me.

I know Douce Amere isn't listed in your post, I'm just givin a heads up.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Why not try Avon Skin so Soft? Works like a charm. Get it from their website. I love it to death!!

PS. The most vanilla Oriental I know is Samsara.
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st July 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Good ideas, Amit, kumquat.

Just found some bargains at http://scentsplits.wikidot.com, so I will end up with a decant of Cadjmere after all.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

^ Good choice -- Cadjmere is one of the PG's I shall never be without

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Cadjmere is one of my favorite PGs and it typifies their woody/creamy gourmand style. I agree PGs are pricey and thus hard to pull the trigger on, but the quality is A++. I only have a handful of PGs but I treasure them.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

You boys are making be feel so good about my investment. Thanks.