Code of Conduct

Default Has Versace Dreamer been reformulated?

Hello all,

I'm new to the basenotes community but already I've learned so much(I've been lurking for a while now) Slowly I'm learning to pick out individual notes in some of the frags I own...although this process takes a while. I was in a local Perfumania the other day when I noticed that Versace's Dreamer had a new box. I was pretty shocked considering I purchased the dreamer from that very location only a few weeks ago. I asked the Sales Associate if the frag had been reformulated and she assured it was not. However I'm not so easily convinced and was wondering if any basenoter knows for certain as I adore this scent!

Default Re: Has Versace Dreamer been reformulated?

Welcome on board! Once I had The Dreamer, I think just when it hit the shelves. If reformulation means those horrid topnotes are changed for the better, I'm hurrying to Douglas

Thanks for the welcome! Actually I believe that the top notes give that frag it's character. Versace has always been known for it's innovative and bold styling. In that sense I believe that the Dreamer definately lived up to Versace's image. The juice is bold, dynamic but at the same time softens and can become quite sexy(a very attractive girl told me that a few nights ago) on the right person.

I like your description of The Dreamer, which was once a favorite of mine.

I fell out of favor with it after it became quite popular and soon every guy I knew was wearing it. It's a love/hate thing. I'm hoping it hasn't been reformulated, as it was the last good fragrance to come out under the Versace name IMO.

The only time I've ever really felt truly pampered by a shower gel was the one that came with Dreamer - in the heavy plastic medusa bottle sitting on the edge of my bathtub. Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverct9a View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Actually I believe that the top notes give that frag it's character. Versace has always been known for it's innovative and bold styling. In that sense I believe that the Dreamer definately lived up to Versace's image. The juice is bold, dynamic but at the same time softens and can become quite sexy(a very attractive girl told me that a few nights ago) on the right person.

To my nose, it smells as good as a few years ago so I'd say no.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

The Dreamer strikes again! I went out to a nightclub last night and recieved compliments galore! It's actually quite shocking that this cologne can cut through the smoke and various scents in a nightclub setting. This thing really is magic. It's probably the most complimented frag in my modest collection. Can anyone suggest another frag that I may like knowing that I adore this scent?

I bought Dreamer a few months ago and it still smells great! It's one from my collection that get's the most compliments!

When I think of Dreamer I think tobacco and vanilla.. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille? Mind you, it's about 10 times the price, but it's VERY nice and also grabs a lot of compliments.

I swear I do not smell any tobacco at all in the Dreamer. Maybe it was the sample, but after the strange ( but interesting top notes), I get a horrid dry down. I love the smell of tobacco, so I really wanted this one to work
    Last edited by Surfacing; 3rd July 2009 at 03:22 PM.

I am curious as well.. Has this been reformulated?

dubious as i recall it has been discontinued... also it has been said it is sold in many different boxes

I recently acquired a bottle and have found it to be much smoother though weaker than a couple years ago. It could just be where my sensitivity is at right now, and I'd be surprised if it was reformulated, but my "nose" tells me that it might be !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I recently acquired a bottle and have found it to be much smoother though weaker than a couple years ago. It could just be where my sensitivity is at right now, and I'd be surprised if it was reformulated, but my "nose" tells me that it might be !
    Is it in the new box?

And, after the first couple times of me smelling it, it is definitely different now. Much smoother. Not only as you say has my nose become less sensitive to stronger smells. But, more refined.. as I can pick up more out of scents.

It's funny how every time there is a change in the bottle or packaging of a fragrance people start freaking out about it being reformulated. I've never tried this one so I wouldn't know, but I doubt the changed the frag....just the box

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    It's funny how every time there is a change in the bottle or packaging of a fragrance people start freaking out about it being reformulated. I've never tried this one so I wouldn't know, but I doubt the changed the frag....just the box
    Possibly because most of the time they take the time to change the box, it is when they are also reformulating. And, people don't like to see something they love disappear. Do you wear cologne?

I have worn The Dreamer intermitantally over the last 20 years or so and I can say it is still one of the most distinctive and wonderful fragrances available. As far as I am concerned, it has one of the best dry downs on the market. Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Truth View Post
    Possibly because most of the time they take the time to change the box, it is when they are also reformulating. And, people don't like to see something they love disappear. Do you wear cologne?
    ...yes I do indeed wear cologne. And what makes you soo sure "most" of the time they reformulate when changing packaging? Maybe you could list some examples? Or perhaps you have some insider knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Captcrunch View Post
    ...yes I do indeed wear cologne. And what makes you soo sure "most" of the time they reformulate when changing packaging? Maybe you could list some examples? Or perhaps you have some insider knowledge.
    First off, do your own research. But, common sense would say that if you were selling something and had a bunch of boxes already.. You would only mess with it if you were deciding to change ingredients or had to change incredients.

And, besides..That wasn't even the point...But, I figured you would try to change the point to that to stumble away from the oblivious statement you made.

The wearing cologne statement was obviously rhetorical. To say that if you actually did wear the cologne, it's shocking you would come out of left field with such a ridiculous post.

Especially when you don't even wear this cologne in particular and are just posting to post. I have yet to see such a rude character on here.
    Last edited by Just Truth; 18th October 2010 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Truth View Post
    First off, do your own research. But, common sense would say that they would say if you were selling something and had a bunch of boxes already.. You would only mess with it if you were deciding to change ingredients or had to change incredients.

And, besides..That wasn't even the point...But, I figured you would try to change the point to that to stumble away from the oblivious statement you made.

The wearing cologne statement was obviously rhetorical. To say that if you actually did wear the cologne, it's shocking you would come out of left field with such a ridiculous post.

Especially when you don't even wear this cologne in particular and are just posting to post. I have yet to see such a rude character on here.
    Ok...

Thanks for taking the high road Captcrunch. Honestly, there's no need to attack or single out any posters. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and there's no place for rude and snide comments on this board. It's not cool and it's not welcomed.

As far as Dreamer goes, there's a good chance that it was reformulated. Its been around for over 10 years and frankly the restrictions on fragrances have changed significantly over the last 15 yrs. Therefore, it is not inconceivable that the fragrance has been reformulated. Furthermore, the Dreamer bears all the tell-tale signs of reformulation: its being marketed in a new box and at one point there were reports that it was being pulled from the shelves. These things all imply a potential re-introduction of the Dreamer in a new formulation. I have worn it in the past and I wear it now but I can't say I've noticed any distinct differences.

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    Thanks for taking the high road Captcrunch. Honestly, there's no need to attack or single out any posters. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and there's no place for rude and snide comments on this board. It's not cool and it's not welcomed.

As far as Dreamer goes, there's a good chance that it was reformulated. Its been around for over 10 years and frankly the restrictions on fragrances have changed significantly over the last 15 yrs. Therefore, it is not inconceivable that the fragrance has been reformulated. Furthermore, the Dreamer bears all the tell-tale signs of reformulation: its being marketed in a new box and at one point there were reports that it was being pulled from the shelves. These things all imply a potential re-introduction of the Dreamer in a new formulation. I have worn it in the past and I wear it now but I can't say I've noticed any distinct differences.
    First off.. Try reading. Especially, before attacking me and contradicting yourself completely. Facts are good to have before engaging in an argument and choosing the side of the bad guy. And, doing exactly what you found so "not welcomed". So see the door.

I didn't attack anyone. Simply stood up for the people in the thread..and anyone with a thread similar. When someone was coming in laughing about a situation that no one on here finds funny. On top of the fact that they are just upping their posts and poking fun. ..Not adding anything to the discussion.

I sent some emails and made some phone calls today. Versace Usa sent me a few phone numbers to call such as Versace Customer Service and The Versace Boutique in New York. I also drudged up my own number to call prior to that. ..to the Versace offices. Now the Versace offices said that there was not a reformulation that the box was just changed from her information. Customer Service said she was given no information of a reformulation. And, neither did the Boutique.
    However.. all three places informed me that Versace The Dreamer was discontinued in the U.S.. As odd as that sounds. Even after just changing the packaging. I guess, thats just for other countries. Or, to put it out there in a more modern packaging to get rid of the rest of their stock.

interesting enough, ive had two different bottles of this stuff, each was a tad different. a tester off a legit online retailer and another one retail from a swap. the retail one was in the newer retail box however i found the tester version much more pleasing and not as cloying as the retail box one. main differences: tester was not as harsh on top, a touch of berries, same longevity but more vanilla on dry down to my nose. the retail version was harsh tabacco, very powdery to the point of cloying and vanilla all the way throughout. basically the retail version ended up being more like how the people hated the fragrance typically describe it.

Whichever version that my hand grabbed the day I tried it was enough to convince me that I didn't care for it.

Bump for some more feedback on this. I'd really appreciate it if someone has smelled both packaging. Specific statements would be great. As well, prior to package/box change, whether or not the fragrance "changed" or was supposedly reformulated

Thanks in advance
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I have one of the newer bottles and it is The Dreamer. I recall it being somewhat warmer and less clean (musk), but if it has changed, it isn't drastic.

Although, I claim fahrenheit has not changed a lot either. So, YMMV.

Basenotes Junkie

I just bought a 3.4 tester and I see the top notes smell not good or bad but just smells! Then the drydown takes a while but then drydown is similar to le male but not as sweet but more sparkly(if that makes sense) Anyways im willing to swap it if anyone is looking for this one.

Thanks Saripatates. If it is close, then that sounds good. I'd like some more posts on this though....

Anyone else with some thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    I just bought a 3.4 tester and I see the top notes smell not good or bad but just smells! Then the drydown takes a while but then drydown is similar to le male but not as sweet but more sparkly(if that makes sense) Anyways im willing to swap it if anyone is looking for this one.
    No
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !