Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Call me Stupid...

Apparently this is supposed to make me buy the new Chanel fragrance...

I kind of see what they are shooting for, but I would suggest we hold out for the full monty...

let's face it, I'd bang Kiera like the screen door in the black and white, pre-storm movie shot that has ominous and eerie overtones of the storm-to-come signified by the slamming screen door that none dare venture out to latch...

scratch that, I'd bang her like the door in the storm itself!!!

but somehow this doesn't inspire me to open my wallet...

I'm sure I'm alone in this....
    Last edited by thaifighter; 20th August 2009 at 05:34 AM.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Default Re: Call me Stupid...

I think it's more subtle than that.

The add intends to have an individual's view of Chanel linked with sexy thoughts, and by all accounts given your "I'd bang Kiera but wouldn't buy Coco" it seems to have succeeded, even on a subliminal level.

Further the add is aimed at women; a different psychology. The "I'd bang her" takes a back seat to the aspirational glamour and suggestiveness portrayed.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I fell for it...hehe

Might actually buy this again

Eek! Photoshop kills nipples yet again...

Meh, Kiera's overrated. She's like a less educated Natalie Portman, with less personality and gets naked too often.
    Sales thread here

If it was for Chanel Pour Homme. I'd get a bottle. lol.

but seriously, I don't get ads like those, I've seen the Polo Blue ad a million times with that bloke's face. doesn't really make me want to rush and buy it.... now if it were kiera on the other hand... hmmmm
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

i fell for it too.. :bounce:

There was a bottle of perfume in that picture?

Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Kiera is all wrong for Chanel , sure she is kinda pretty but she is dull and does nothing but complain about how terrible her life is / how she sufferes for her art . She is so skinny she has the body of a pre-pubescent boy , then there are the photoshopped boobies , at the best of times they like two drawing pins on an ironing board

Haha, without the thread I'd probally never seen this anyway. Though it seems very subtle and nothing to sexual for me. But.. a gorgeous brunette!
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Kiera is all wrong for Chanel , sure she is kinda pretty but she is dull and does nothing but complain about how terrible her life is / how she sufferes for her art . She is so skinny she has the body of a pre-pubescent boy , then there are the photoshopped boobies , at the best of times they like two drawing pins on an ironing board
    lol - My thoughts exactly only much funnier
    Sales thread here

Fine, stupid.

Seriously, rawdog it and worm your way into her fortune.

When did Keira get boobs? And why did she opt for no nipples on her new boobs?

And the Photoshop Award goes to......

Gah. She's a vapid and flat (pardon the pun) actress. Makes me want that scent even less. Which is actually saying a lot
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

To quote Dorothy Parker " She runs the whole gamut of emotions from A to B "

Angel boobs.

Hmmm... I'd bang her myself but she needs to lose a few more pounds before I can even entertain the prospect...
    Last edited by Trebor; 20th August 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Youd snap the poor girl

You sooooo know the BN black shirts gonna shut this thread down LOL !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    To quote Dorothy Parker " She runs the whole gamut of emotions from A to B "
    Bwah haha!!

Perfectly put, as always.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

This ad is directed at women as well as at men. Sex sells! Identifying the brand with a sexy image that says "Do you want me?" would appeal to many women as well as men. . . I think. "Buy me", purchase the boldness and brazen sexiness of this image/product. They may not be willing to admit to a same sex desire, but if the fragrance is cool enough to say it is sexy and it is desirable, then they might purchase the juice instead of taking the bolder step. Its a "come on" pure and simple and works on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    This ad is directed at women as well as at men. Sex sells! Identifying the brand with a sexy image that says "Do you want me?" would appeal to many women as well as men. . . I think. "Buy me", purchase the boldness and brazen sexiness of this image/product. They may not be willing to admit to a same sex desire, but if the fragrance is cool enough to say it is sexy and it is desirable, then they might purchase the juice instead of taking the bolder step. Its a "come on" pure and simple and works on several levels.
    Yes, but she needs to go on a diet first...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I totally agree.

*slaps lettuce leaf from Keira's hand & gives her a cigarette*
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    I totally agree.

Oh God, no!!! Do you know how many calories are in a cigarette?

Basenotes Plus

Yuck!

The strap is crooked & is driving me nuts looking at it. Take it away, please!

And I too will ask, was there perfume in this picture?

Hmm ! ... Do I detect a few "envious" "sour grape-y" comments here up above ???

Personally I think she is gorgeous, and perfectly suited to Chanel's image. ...
    And although she is perfectly pretty "as is" ... I must say, that pic certainly has been "photoshoped" to within an inch of it's life.

Still, I think it works, and suits the scent ! ... And I'm pretty sure it will have the desired effect !

(P.S. ... As for the "boobies", as been mentioned, I think they too are just perfect. I happen to believe the whole "more than a handful (mouthful ?) is just a waist"...... ! )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 20th August 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Wow! She has a nice necklace!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Wow! She has a nice necklace!
    LOL ! The ad fail, apparently.

Last edited by TwoRoads; 20th August 2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Do I detect a few "envious" "sour grape-y"...
    Nah, more like sour apples...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

1) Shouldn't this thread be on the Industry Discussion Board, or even the Female Fragrance Discussion board ?

2) Given the market, some additional female perspectives would be helpful to a sensible discussion.

3) It's just advertising, and it's all been done before (Sophie Dahl and Opium anyone?).

There was a thread about this on the women's board already. In the ad posted in that thread, she was wearing the shirt. It was much sexier, I thought, with the sheer shirt on rather than off. Consensus was that the "side boob" was airbrushed in that one too. To my eye, this ad looks like they photoshopped the shirt out of the photo--look around the beaded necklace and you'll see reflections and shadows that don't make sense. Makes you wonder why they didn't think the first ad was good enough.

No way, Asha you are totally right, they DID shop the whole thing! I obviously have too much time on my hands
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 21st August 2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    No way, Asha you are totally right, they DID shop the whole thing! I obviously have too much time on my hands
    Maybe they shopped the shirt on rather than off.

Some 'behind the scenes' shots here: http://egotastic.com/entertainment/c...anel-ad-004872
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 21st August 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Blog Entries

I totally agree.

Oh God, no!!! Do you know how many calories are in a cigarette?

*slaps cigarette from Keira's hand & gives her a bottle of Coco Mademoiselle*

*agent's hand gently reaches in and replaces full bottle with empty bottle*

I liked her in Pirates of the Caribbean, but i do not think of her as much in the way of sexy. I love the necklace though. Overt sexual images are sometimes more unattractive than a subtly sexual image that make ones mind wander.
    I think there has to be a sexier face for Chanel to use in their advertisements, the actresses they are using at the moment have more of the adorable about them, rather than the sensual.

Catherine Deneuve or Carole Bouquet in the older No 5 adds, now they were sexy. Leticia Casta in the Allure ads, very sexy. Nicole Kidman for No 5, not sexy , but rather elegant and perfect, which fit the bill.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Fake boob alert!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I liked her in Pirates of the Caribbean, but i do not think of her as much in the way of sexy. I love the necklace though. Overt sexual images are sometimes more unattractive than a subtly sexual image that make ones mind wander.
    I think there has to be a sexier face for Chanel to use in their advertisements, the actresses they are using at the moment have more of the adorable about them, rather than the sensual.

Catherine Deneuve or Carole Bouquet in the older No 5 adds, now they were sexy. Leticia Casta in the Allure ads, very sexy. Nicole Kidman for No 5, not sexy , but rather elegant and perfect, which fit the bill.
    I've embolded the part of Brielle's post that needs repeating a million times (IMHO).
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Basenotes Plus

And although she is perfectly pretty "as is" ... I must say, that pic certainly has been "photoshoped" to within an inch of it's life.

Still, I think it works, and suits the scent ! ... And I'm pretty sure it will have the desired effect !

(P.S. ... As for the "boobies", as been mentioned, I think they too are just perfect. I happen to believe the whole "more than a handful (mouthful ?) is just a waist"...... ! )
    Since your post appeared right after my comments, I suppose you meant this for me?

No, Sybarite, not "sour grapes", nor does the ad "have the desired effect". If the ad is intended to get me to purchase the fragrance, it has had the opposite effect.

You see, my daughter, who is not quite 12, loves the scent. She's been asking for the Coco Mademoiselle Sensual Exlir (it's sparkly) since last Christmas. I've been considering surprising her with the gift, especially as the scent smells amazing on her. However, advertising has a great deal of impact, young girls have enough body image issues. This image of Kiera is not one I wish to hold up as a standard for my daughter. Nope....not happening and frankly, I think it will be my daughter who will be the one to object most strongly to the ad.

Here's why I think this is so....

My daughter & I decided not to purchase a Juicy Couture fragrace a few years ago based on their ad campaign at the time. Their advertising showed the models "drinking" the perfume. My daugher was the one who said that it sent the "wrong message". Well, her exact words were, "What if some little kid saw this & then saw the perfume sitting on their Moms' dresser? They might try to drink it if they saw these pictures?" She was 9 1/2 at the time & really liked the fragrance. We never purchased it, nor has her opinion changed.

Chanel lost my sale with this ad. No "sour grapes", just the facts. As a consumer with an ever shrinking amount of discretionary income, I choose to spend it on something which sends a positive message. This doesn't, imo. I'll ask my daughter's opinion when she gets home from visiting her cousins.

Sour grapes? Is that what it is when other women criticize a beautiful woman? Jeebus. Give me a break. I'm not offended, or jealous. Just offering my opinion. She is beautiful but that photo is hilariously photoshopped.

Keira's chest is as flat as her acting, her face NEVER changes (which is ok I guess as it is a pretty face) and those boobs are pretend Sybarite. But, if you like pretend boobs, enjoy

Sour grapes? Hardly. My boobs are real, beautiful, and, they have nipples. And I look much better than her when I fawn around in my suspenders.

And, I am NOT wearing Coco Mademoiselle
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 21st August 2009 at 04:22 PM.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

They should have left her the way she is.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Sour grapes? Hardly. My boobs are real, beautiful, and, they have nipples. And I look much better than her when I fawn around in my suspenders.
    You know, I really hate it when Basenoters make dubious claims...

I tell you what, PM me a photo of yourself in suspenders so we lay this pressing issue to rest. Okay?

I tell you what, PM me a photo of yourself in suspenders so we lay this pressing issue to rest. Okay?
    Man, forget about PM'ing you. Post the pic here and we will give her our honest opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Since your post appeared right after my comments, I suppose you meant this for me?
    (
    No, Sybarite, not "sour grapes", nor does the ad "have the desired effect". If the ad is intended to get me to purchase the fragrance, it has had the opposite effect. ...................
    No sorry RHM , my "envious sour grapes" comment was not at all directed at you. Sorry, I really should have made that much clearer. ...
    I was directing my comment towards certain comments that appeared a little further up. Those comments "trashing" poor Keira's "beauty, brains, and "boobies"", which I really just felt were totally uncalled for, nor exactly fair or true.

But to address your post : I mean let's face it, even though your 12yr old daughter might love the scent. (And we ask ourselves why that is exactly ???) ... But neither the scent nor it's advertising are directed at someone quite so young. So the advertising really shouldn't be judged on a 12yrs old's point of view. On that basis, I'm not surprised that it had the opposite effect on you. And so it should, for I do not think your daughter is quite old enough to be wearing "Coco Mademoiselle" anyway. And probably not exactly whom Chanel would prefer to be wearing their scent. Not exactly their target market. ... I mean she aint exactly a "mademoiselle" just quite yet. Which is whom the scent and it's advertising is directed at. (I mean, it's probably the "young woman" aspect of the whole image that is attractive to most 12yr olds in the first place, typically wishing they where already little "mademoiselles").
    I believe the advert successful as far as the image they are trying to portray and within the desired target market. ... In that aspect I think it works. (Even as far as it dissuaded you from purchasing one, I think the advert is working just as intended. ).
    But even after just saying that. I really believe that if she truly loves the scent (purely for the scents sake, and not being swayed by any advertising), and if it really suits her. Then she should just wear it, regardless of anything else. ... Though, to be honest, I do think that there are many more other scents that would be more appropriate and more flattering to a 12yr old.

Then as far as the Juicy Couture add goes. You really are giving adverts far too much credit, I think. ... And though I can see what your daughter is saying, on one hand. I also think, on the other hand, that if a 91/2 or other "small girl" who does see them photos, is really that stupid to go and try drink a perfume. Then she deserves the nasty shock that she will encounter on that first gulp. I very much doubt she will ever try do it again. ...
    And it will certainly not kill her (though she might very well be a little ill for a few hours or so. Though I very much doubt she will even get as far as swallowing that first gulp, anyway. She's much more bound to spit it out in shock). (LOL) ...
    She may even very well learn a valuable lesson early on ~ Not to put too much stock into advertising. )

(In fact, even I have been known to "gargle" with some perfume when I am suffering from severe toothache. I learned once that it works like a charm. And I can attest to it's truth and effectiveness. It certainly worked for me ! ... And while it certainly was not pleasant, it was much preferable to the toothache )

As it is, I think people take advertising far, far too seriously. It really shouldn't have that much power or hold over the masses. So any such little "rude awakenings" to that fact, in whatever form they may take. I think can only be a good thing ultimately. ...
    (And please excuse my general flippancy ... But I really just couldn't resist it) . ...
    I for one take absolutely no stock on any advertising whatsoever. And no advert will ever have the power to make me rush out and immediately purchase "whatever" because of it, nor will it ever dissuade me from getting something because I do not agree with it's advertising. I refuse to give advertising or the company behind them that much of a hold over my decisions. ... If I like the scent of a specific fragrance, that is all that is important to me. I will on that basis alone purchase it. Regardless of what I think of it's "attached" adversing. Nor do I give a hoot about the image it's trying, or not trying, to convey. Or if I fit the specific image or desired demographic. ... They are merely an amusement to me, and nothing more. ... I fail to understand why people buy into it all so readily ???
    Last edited by Sybarite; 21st August 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Hm. I need a photographer. Do you have a camera?

I'm guessing Sybarite was referring to my comments further up but not to my reply. I guess I was right- a woman who comments on boobs is expressing sour grapes. And I guess it's unfair and uncalled for to comment on something that it is put right out there to get a reaction.

Keira should be grateful Sybarite is defending her honour. Any vapid actress should be free to get paid buckets of money to post half naked to sell perfume and I fully support that.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 21st August 2009 at 10:29 PM.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Sur la Plage

Sour grapes? Is that what it is when other women criticize a beautiful woman? Jeebus. Give me a break. I'm not offended, or jealous. Just offering my opinion. She is beautiful but that photo is hilariously photoshopped.

Keira's chest is as flat as her acting, her face NEVER changes (which is ok I guess as it is a pretty face) and those boobs are pretend Sybarite. But, if you like pretend boobs, enjoy

And, I am NOT wearing Coco Mademoiselle

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hm. I need a photographer. Do you have a camera?

I'm guessing Sybarite was referring to my comments further up but not to my reply. I guess I was right- a woman who comments on boobs is expressing sour grapes. And I guess it's unfair and uncalled for to comment on something that it is put right out there to get a reaction.

Keira should be grateful Sybarite is defending her honour. Any vapid actress should be free to get paid buckets of money to post half naked to sell perfume and I fully support that.
    The effect of braces (suspenders) on a woman's bare breast is one of contrast. The in-your-face sexuality of a woman's breast naked against a very masculine item of dress is shocking. The ad wants you to see this shock. Coco Chanel was very into androgyny. Think of a woman's sexy lips smoking a cigar! Same idea.

Both Charlize Theron and Eva Mednes got naked to promote perfumes--J'Adore and Secret Obsession, respectively. The ads are on YouTube.

Seduction, sex and scent are always linked. If first perfumes were probably floral. What is a flower? The sexual organ of a plant that waits for a butterfly, hummingbird or bee to do the dirty work for them. Just take a botany class on this! LOL!

I have nothing against a model or actress using their beauty to sell scent and be a spokesmodel, so I agree with 3xasif. It's their trade to use their looks.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Like the perfume, like Keira Knightley, but don't really think she's "Chanel" material, even for Coco Mademoiselle.

Audrey Tautou - now she is "Chanel", even before I saw that movie.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Would uncork and pork.

I hate that ad. It's flat, boring, without any personality.
    The "woman" isn't one at all, she's more like a scary anorexic teenager. There's nothing sexy, erotic, interesting about here.

The perfume is "so cool" and absolutely everyone wears it, not because it is good, but because it accessible for all those girls that want to wear a Chanel frag without understanding that perfumes is more than something that smells okay.

As for me it represent everything that's superficial. It's like today's art, food, life: it has to be easy, accessible without too much effort and the more it looks expensive the better it is...

^^Spoken like a true woman. FWIW, I agree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    They should have left her the way she is.
    I agree completely. I know that Chanel ads do rely on a certain surreal, more-flawless-than-life quality, but that can still be achieved - I believe - without wholesale 'shopping of the image. Better still, I think that reliance more upon natural beauty plus Chanel's cosmetics - and less on digital reconstructive surgery - would show more clearly the amazing level of beauty that can be attained by real women.

Come to think of it, Keira was probably most beautiful (and doing her best work) where she was most clothed - in Pride and Prejudice. Who knows - there might be some material for very attractive, sexy, Chanel ads using Keira, somewhere over that-a-way.

I like the ad with the shirt much, much better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Maybe they shopped the shirt on rather than off.

Some 'behind the scenes' shots here: http://egotastic.com/entertainment/c...anel-ad-004872
    I am sure they took hundreds of photos when they did the shoot, some with and some without the shirt. The fact that the collar is hanging from out of nowhere (ie, no shirt attached), and my knowledge of Photoshop tells me they probably did take the shirt out. However, technically speaking, you are correct that it could have been put in.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd August 2009 at 02:52 PM.

OK that is hilarious!! Wasn't that a Seinfeld ad?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The effect of braces (suspenders) on a woman's bare breast is one of contrast. The in-your-face sexuality of a woman's breast naked against a very masculine item of dress is shocking. The ad wants you to see this shock. Coco Chanel was very into androgyny. Think of a woman's sexy lips smoking a cigar! Same idea.

Both Charlize Theron and Eva Mednes got naked to promote perfumes--J'Adore and Secret Obsession, respectively. The ads are on YouTube.

Seduction, sex and scent are always linked. If first perfumes were probably floral. What is a flower? The sexual organ of a plant that waits for a butterfly, hummingbird or bee to do the dirty work for them. Just take a botany class on this! LOL!

I have nothing against a model or actress using their beauty to sell scent and be a spokesmodel, so I agree with 3xasif. It's their trade to use their looks.
    Emily Carr's paintings come to mind for some reason ......and with regards to nudity in advertising, who even cares. We are all beautiful. I'd rather look at Keira in a print ad than listen to her on the screen *yawn* But, the shame that North Americans feel regarding the human body is so sad
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 22nd August 2009 at 04:33 PM.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I don't really have a strong opinion about these ads. Blouse or no blouse, they're boring. The only thing shocking here would be if Kiera actually had these round nipple-free orbs for breasts.

I just wish they'd kept her a bit more natural. The photoshopped breasts are sad and creepy.

OK, this has survived awhile.....

w0w!

So let's keep the ball rolling shall we?

I am an engineer by trade, so I missed out on all the Madison Ave wisdom inculcated in those geniuses we know as marketing majors...

and because of this, I am deprived of the awareness of subtleties and nuance that define greatness in the advertising world...

So...

Call me stupid...

but what Einstein came up with the idea of marketing a scent portrayed by the lower portion of Paris Hilton as a fish at low tide?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited by thaifighter; 22nd August 2009 at 05:18 PM.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

My only thought when looking at either ad with Keira is this: Anyone trying THAT hard to look sexy, isn't.

Well, call ME stupid but I think this is way sexier

dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by thaifighter View Post
    OK, this has survived awhile.....

w0w!

So let's keep the ball rolling shall we?

I am an engineer by trade, so I missed out on all the Madison Ave wisdom inculcated in those geniuses we know as marketing majors...

and because of this, I am deprived of the awareness of subtleties and nuance that define greatness in the advertising world...

So...

Call me stupid...

but what Einstein came up with the idea of marketing a scent portrayed by the lower portion of Paris Hilton as a fish at low tide?!?!?!?!?!?!

And yet another one that has been photoshopped to within an inch of it's life (LOL) !

Exactly - grace and sophistication has always been Chanel's strongest virtues in its advertisements... until now. The ad with Keira is simply vulgar and cheap (and I'm referring to the concept and not Keira).

Of course ya do ... that makes total sense. For she is wearing a very manly jacket. (Now doesn't that make sense that a girl would find that much sexier !?!

(And I do totally agree that Mademoiselle Deneuve was certainly very sexy ! ... Though I do not particularly think so in this particular pic. ... There were much sexier No5 ad pics of her. )