Code of Conduct

Default The Many Faces of Aerin Lauder

All those air-brushed ads of Aerin Lauder for Private Collection are a real scream. Her transformation from flawed beauty to generic beauty is quite amusing and kind of bizarre. I guess it's cheaper to pay for the airbrush guy than to pay for a real model. And besides, the money they saved went right into using more costly, mostly natural ingredients.
    The transformation:
    1st: The real Aerin Lauder. The eyes are deeply set and her expression borders on the demented. She's doing the best Ali McGraw imitation I've ever seen.

2nd:

A face in transition. Yes, the eyes are still a bit too close together and her deer-like facial expression makes you want to instantly break into The Antler dance. But there's a vulnerability here that works a bit better than in her first, frozen and mask-like photo.

And 3rd:

Perfection? Perhaps, but who is she? It looks like the CGI guys are going to get a FiFi Award for flawlessly adding just enough Paulina Porizkova to make things more palatable.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 01:04 AM.

Default Re: The Many Faces of Aerin Lauder

Yep, she also looks like she got 15 year younger in the process.

here's a a couple 'non photo shoot' pictures

when an SA told me that the pretty girl on the JWM poster was Aerin Lauder I searched for her images but could hardly make the connection between the 'real' Aerin and the one of JWM promo. The only thing that was similar was the eyebrows!
    Last edited by kess; 6th August 2009 at 08:41 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Never noticed it before but I see it now. Kinda puts me off EL.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

She looks 20 in that last picture. How old is she?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    She looks 20 in that last picture. How old is she?
    she's 39.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Basenotes Institution

Do any of you see any resemblance to her mom? Because I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Do any of you see any resemblance to her mom? Because I don't.
    They both share those Khazarian, high cheekbones.

You're just jealous, Ruggles.

Besides the extensive airbrushing, she's had plastic surgery. She is pretty, though, and has done a wonderful job with the Private Collection line. Estee would be proud.

Just yesterday I was thinking about Aerin Lauder as Fragrance Model. (I was wearing PC Tuberose Gardenia). Here's my take on the philosophy behind the marketing: I think women LOVE Aerin Lauder (Zinterhofer). Possibly the Private Collection fragrances are marketed to women who buy fragrances for themselves, not to men buying fragrances for women? I don't know. I do think it's marvelously innovative for this uber-huge, unbelievably powerful company to use a family member as it's representative, rather than a boilerplate model or celebrity.

Aerin Lauder is a recognizeable superstar; perhaps she makes the Lauder company look "smarter" because she is, literally, who they are. She's the hard-working, intelligent woman we all want to be. Besides being, hands down, one of the richest people in the world, she's a respected socialite who donates to all the right charities, and gets her home(s) featured in decorating and architecture publications. She's also a kind of icon as an All-American Girl success as a Woman Who Has Everything, including husband and two children...

Of course, it could just be that the Lauders think she's the most beautiful woman in the world. Clearly they haven't seen my daughter, Rebecca, who will make Aerin's beauty pale in comparison (after Rebecca grow up).

I know I wouldn't mind being Lauder, or looking like her for that matter. Interesting comment on the "Khazarian cheekbones". I have really high cheekbones, too, (they're real), and I've often been questioned about my ancestry because they seem to arouse curiosity. Were Khazars known for having high cheekbones? :bounce:I've been extremely interested in geneaolgy lately, and, unfortunately, I have one of those families who ancestry has seemingly been obliterated, and currently no one alive claims to know anything about the past. I'm curious.

Thanks for the posts.

Come, now, you all! Be nice!

The marketing of fragrance is usually filled with fantasy and hype...and sometimes downright falsehoods.

We can all indulge in a little fantasy! When I wear a citrus-y floral, I can see myself in a field of flowers surrounded by yellow lab puppies while wearing a flowing white dress (you know the ad...) or being the secret Romantic amante of the "faux" creator of "Etiquette Bleue," (you know the man.) Heck, I wished I looked like Carole Bouquet when she was promoting Chanel No. 5...

Fantasy...beats working in a cubicle and staring at a monitor of a computer...

That is part of the fun of fragrance, IMHO.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    She's also a kind of icon as an All-American Girl success as a Woman Who Has Everything, including husband and two children
    I guess this leaves out all those fragrance wearing, lovely lesbians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Were Khazars known for having high cheekbones? :bounce:I've been extremely interested in geneaolgy lately, and, unfortunately, I have one of those families who ancestry has seemingly been obliterated, and currently no one alive claims to know anything about the past. I'm curious.
    Yes, they share those amazing cheekbones with the Hungarians, my ancestors. I had a genetic profile done, and discovered that my father's Austrian ancestors originally came from the Caucasus region, neighbors actually to the Kingdom of the Khazars, and settled in the Tyrol. My mother's Hungarian side is descended from the Romanov blood line, hemophilia gene not present, thank god, and not from the Ural mountains, as I always suspected.
    You should try genetic testing if your interested in your roots, it can be quite surprising what comes up: https://www.23andme.com/
    And, I do think Aerin is quite an attractive woman, but she always has a look of such sadness about her. That said, having her as a brand's model is a bit like having Linda McCartney singing back-up vocals in your band.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 09:06 PM.

I miss the Estee Lauder model of my youth, the incomparably beautiful Karen Graham.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I miss the Estee Lauder model of my youth, the incomparably beautiful Karen Graham.
    Wow, now that's a great face!

Quote Originally Posted by Minou2 View Post
    You're just jealous, Ruggles.
    Now, why should I be jealous? I'm much better looking than Aerin Lauder. And with me, it's all real.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 05:19 AM.

She was unceremoniously dumped in the mid-1980's for the also-amazing Paulina....but I still remember being a very-young teen and thinking that "that Estee Lauder Lady" was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen.

Estee Lauder ended up bringing Karen Graham back around 2000 as their "older" face, for various creams and potions designed to fight wrinkles. She's now a fly-fishing guide, but still does a healthy modeling business, because SHE IS STILL ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS.....
    Last edited by YouCanCallMeMo; 7th August 2009 at 03:19 AM.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

She was unceremoniously dumped in the mid-1980's for the also-amazing Paulina....but I still remember being a very-young teen and thinking that "that Estee Lauder Lady" was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen.
    Who get's your vote?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 07:00 PM.

"One of these models is not like the others, one of these faces doesn't belong!"

Aerin looks danged good for not being a model. I'd say all of those pictures have been extensively airbrushed since not one of them has so much as a pore visible.
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

The Estee Lauder cache: Aramis, Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Tommy Hilfiger, La Mer, Donna Karan, Aveda, Jo Malone, Bumble and bumble, Darphin, Michael Kors, Sean John, Missoni, Daisy Fuentes and Tom Ford Beauty.

Her and mumsy:

I think she has a very endearing look. I like her "candid" shots better than the ads.

Isn't Aerin Estee's granddaughter?
    “Auntie Mame [is] a froth of whipped cream and champagne and daydreams and Nuit de Noël perfume. She's not mortal at all.”- Patrick Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by moongrrl View Post
    Isn't Aerin Estee's granddaughter?
    Yes.

I agree with those who prefer her non-glamour shots. As a businesswoman, she's uncommonly lovely.

It's not really fair to airbrush all the character out of her face and then shove her alongside the great models who have represented the company in the past. If they want to use her face as a "real woman" exemplar of the fragrance, they should just use one of the more photo-journalistic ones. They do a far better job to projecting both her physical beauty and what is interesting about her life...and therefore create a lot more intrigue about the character of the scent, at least for me. (And, as a professional woman of about Aerin's age, I'd say I'm probably their target audience)

It's not really fair to airbrush all the character out of her face and then shove her alongside the great models who have represented the company in the past. If they want to use her face as a "real woman" exemplar of the fragrance, they should just use one of the more photo-journalistic ones. They do a far better job to projecting both her physical beauty and what is interesting about her life...and therefore create a lot more intrigue about the character of the scent, at least for me. (And, as a professional woman of about Aerin's age, I'd say I'm probably their target audience)
    This is close to my original thoughts, if you're going to use a real person in an ad, shouldn't they have a real face instead of a cyber one?

Would you ever guess that these 3 pictures are of the same person?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Looks like airbrushing made Aerin's brown eyes blue. Weird.

I vote for Karen Graham. Sexy sultry 70s glam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This is close to my original thoughts, if you're going to use a real person in an ad, shouldn't they have a real face instead of a cyber one?

It's a fair point. They make a deal out of using a "real" model and photoshop the hell out of her.

We forgot the stable of EL celebrity/actress models:

http://www.esteelauder.com/flash/fac...w-_-Our_Models

I think it's really sad they felt they had to photoshop her; she's not bad looking at all, simply not a model. If they wanted the common touch, why didn't they show a woman who is frankly much more representative of the average Estee Lauder buyer rather than altering her until she looks like any other model? Defeats the purpose, if you ask me.

If I was a spokesperson for a company and found my face photoshopped beyond recognition in an ad campaign, I can't say it would do wonders for my self esteem.

Now that's a face built for advertising. You just can't not be grabbed by those eyes.

And, I do think Aerin is quite an attractive woman, but she always has a look of such sadness about her. That said, having her as a brand's model is a bit like having Linda McCartney singing back-up vocals in your band.
    Hey, don't be mean to poor Linda Mac. I liked her backing vocals!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Now that's a face built for advertising. You just can't not be grabbed by those eyes.
    Karen Graham was stunning, and probably still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Hey, don't be mean to poor Linda Mac. I liked her backing vocals!
    FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoH9zP_n_g0

Everyone gets the Photoshop treatment:

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...erfu.html#more
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think there's room for Aerin and the supermodels, too. Private Collection seems to have become her baby, so why not? I think she's very attractive. I don't mind seeing the head of the company in the public eye in its advertising (except for our local businesses TV ads, lol!). I hate when they fiddle with the photos until the person looks like an animation. It's really getting ridiculous. I agree that a flawed beauty is preferable to a generic one.

p.s. Remember Paloma Picasso in her own ads? She looked fabulous! What would they do to her today?

Ah well! Looks like they did a job on her as well. I'll just shut up and go home now.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd September 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Isn't Paloma Picasso's mother the lovely Francoise Gilot, the artist?

There is a saying:There is no beauty that hath not some strangeness to the proportion.

Who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    p.s. Remember Paloma Picasso in her own ads? She looked fabulous! What would they do to her today?

Ah well! Looks like they did a job on her as well. I'll just shut up and go home now.
    Top right: smokin' hot.
    Bottom right: clearly out of her gourd, but still smokin'.
    Bottom left: brief dictatorship phase.
    Top left: who?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Her and mumsy:

I think she has a very endearing look. I like her "candid" shots better than the ads.

Now THIS is a shot I love . Beautiful natural woman - nothing photoshopped ( I hope ) . Photoshopping takes away something even if it makes your arms thinner, your face wrinkle free- it takes away uniqueness.

Paulina Porizkova - for Estee Lauder years ago - very very beauitful woman then and now .

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Isn't Paloma Picasso's mother the lovely Francoise Gilot, the artist?

There is a saying:There is no beauty that hath not some strangeness to the proportion.

Who said that?
    There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    --Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Top right: smokin' hot.
    Bottom right: clearly out of her gourd, but still smokin'.
    Bottom left: brief dictatorship phase.
    Top left: who?
    Top left looks like Diane Sawyer's brunette & more fun twin (kind of like Samantha & Sabrina).

It's a similar issue for me as the Keira Knightly Chanel ad on the other thread. I hate the over-Photoshopping! Yes, a model in an advertisement is going to be unusually attractive, not "average..." but I'd still like her to be recognisable as an actual human!

I wish they had just used that photo of Aerin at her desk for the PC ads. I'd be so much more intrigued by the product then! That photo says to me that this is a very attractive woman, about my age, a thoroughly modern professional who is also connected to a fascinating family history. That's a good deal more compelling than the "Look at the hot android" that the artificial photos create.

Basenotes Institution

Lovely bottles of Private Collection on her desk too - gorgeous flowers in the back ground - I love this pic of Aerin Lauder.

Oooh ! ... I could just kiss you "Ruggles" ... You will not believe just how elated and totally excited you have just made me !!! ... I am almost jumping off the walls here, I tell ya !

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo very much for that link !!! ... I have been after just the very thing for ages now !

Of course, you have also just managed to shoot another hole in my wallet. But what the hell ... It's more than high time I spend some money on something other than fragrances and samples, for a change. ... And this "Genetic Testing" is so definitely gonna be my very next purchase ! ... I am gonna be spittin in that test tube a.s.a.p. ... (They better deliver to the UK !!??)

I seriously cannot thank you enough ! ... You have just made my day ! (Hell you have made my entire month !!! )

(I had actually just yesterday finished reading a fantastic book on Mitochondrial DNA. And pining for the opportunity to be able to do the same to myself ! ...)

And here you come along, a mere day later, and hand us this link ! ... Almost as good as if you had presented it to me on a platinum platter, by request. ... I am quite incredulous at your most excellent timing !

Once again ... Thank you so much Ruggles !!!
    Last edited by Sybarite; 7th September 2009 at 03:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Sybarite,

Please post again after you get your test results. This is the kind of development that could significantly change the health care industry. But a lot depends on how well they are able to combine the levels from different tests to draw conclusions about what might or might not be your problem(s).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    Sybarite,

Please post again after you get your test results. This is the kind of development that could significantly change the health care industry. But a lot depends on how well they are able to combine the levels from different tests to draw conclusions about what might or might not be your problem(s).

Thanks.
    I will do ! ... Checking on their site, I think they cannot really pinpoint health problems as such, just quite yet. Just more what one might be predisposed to, sort of thing.

But I am more interested in their more "ancestral" side of things anyway. That is what I am most fascinated with. ... (The whole "health side" of it is just more likely to make me far too paranoid )

Though I do totally agree with you that this sort of thing will definitely revolutionise the whole "health care industry".

(And please excuse my "highjacking" and derailing of this thread ! )

AromiErotici

Lauder is very attractive, bordering on beautiful. Nothing more un-sexy than a barbie-doll looking piece of perfection. There's beauty and character in flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Lauder is very attractive, bordering on beautiful. Nothing more un-sexy than a barbie-doll looking piece of perfection. There's beauty and character in flaws.
    *hugs ArmoiErotici* what a guy

ArmoiErotici just got himself a scary group of Basenotes ladies in his fanclub. Hey, ladies! He smells good AND he thinks your crooked nose is cute! A keeper! (BabyBasenoterBoys take note: this attitude is more of a chick magnet than all the AdG or Fierce in the world!)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    *hugs ArmoiErotici* what a guy
    Yes, I agree totally - great guy.
    Aerin Lauder , the natural one is beautiful - a real and strong woman .

Every time I see a photo of Aerin Lauder I think to myself, Miss Moose is trying to look like Ali McGraw.

Every time I see a photo of Aerin Lauder I think to myself, Miss Moose is trying to look like Ali McGraw.
    *pinches Ruggles*

AromiErotici

You are one tough customer my friend.

Basenotes Institution

Ruggles- what an image ! * joins 3xasif pinching Ruggles *

Blog Entries

I get a lot of grief for this but when I saw The Truth About Cats and Dogs, I thought it was one of the jokes that everyone pretended to think Uma Thurman was better looking than Janeane Garofalo. Naturally one of them has played beautiful & sexy in every movie since and the other has played beautiful & sexy exactly never.

LOL, ECaruthers, I thought the same thing when I saw that movie! I always thought Janeane was adorable and Uma a bit....fish-like. So, at least you aren't alone!

Blog Entries

Oh, thank you so much, Mo. I'm not crazy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Uma, like Gwyneth, needs lots of make-up and a great cinematographer. I see Gwyneth around NYC quite a bit and she is very awkward looking in person. Jennifer Aniston is adorable in person, sat next to her at dinner once. I would say the same about Julianne Moore, who I once had the pleasure of giving a ride home in my car from a dinner party. I was nervous beyond belief! She's a natural beauty who looks the same in person and on camera.
    It's amazing how certain people, who appear very plain in person, come alive on camera.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th September 2009 at 03:56 AM.

Uma, like Gwyneth, needs lots of make-up and a great cinematographer. I see Gwyneth around NYC quite a bit and she is very awkward looking in person. Jennifer Aniston is adorable in person, sat next to her at dinner once. I would say the same about Julianne Moore, who I once had the pleasure of giving a ride home in my car from a dinner party. I was nervous beyond belief! She's a natural beauty who looks the same in person and on camera.
    It's amazing how certain people, who appear very plain in person, come alive on camera.
    My husband finds Uma's face off balance and something about it bothers him. Gwyneth is too "pointy" for him, awkward is a good way to put it.

Oh I adore Jennifer Aniston and am happy to hear she is adorable in person

We saw Julianne Moore with her family several times in St Jean de Luz (France) during August holidays with her children. She IS stunning and, is my fair daughter's patron saint of freckles. Radiant.

ArmoiErotici just got himself a scary group of Basenotes ladies in his fanclub. Hey, ladies! He smells good AND he thinks your crooked nose is cute! A keeper! (BabyBasenoterBoys take note: this attitude is more of a chick magnet than all the AdG or Fierce in the world!)
    (((Hugs))) AromiErotici. I'm a fan.

That sounds like something my husband would say, I'm ashamed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    I get a lot of grief for this but when I saw The Truth About Cats and Dogs, I thought it was one of the jokes that everyone pretended to think Uma Thurman was better looking than Janeane Garofalo. Naturally one of them has played beautiful & sexy in every movie since and the other has played beautiful & sexy exactly never.
    I thought Janine was much sexier in that movie. Uma seems rather asexual to me. But she seems sweet.

And the reverse! It's a miracle of light.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 9th September 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries

OK, now that I know I'm not crazy I'll go a little further out on a limb. Those who seek out the 5 threads of member pictures will find many ladies and gentlemen who are better looking than Keira Knightly or Charles Bronson. Of course and ad company executive with Photoshop would probably make us all look alike.

Well Ruggles, we might be distantly related as I'm from 100% Hungarian stock (my parents escaped during the 1956 revolution), and I've got those crazy high cheekbones too.

Tovah, good chance you've got some Magyar in you as well :-)

Sybarite, will be very interesting to hear what your test shows.

I think Photoshopping of celebrities in advertising is just par for the course.

I saw Diana Krall advertising for Rolex and she was super-model beautiful and airbrushed.

Kate Winslet is also a model for Lancome and "perfected" for print.

Both women had perfect heart-shaped faces and flawless skin.

Hats off for *not* airbrushing Vincent Cassel for his work as a model for YSL La Nuit de L'Homme. I would dislike seeing such a unique face of Gallic character digitally-enhanced to be just another male beauty with razor-blade cheekbones and a lantern jaw.