Code of Conduct

Default Sequoia or Kyoto, help!

Hi all:
    I am really torn between Sequoia and Kyoto.

I had recently acquired a bunch of niche samples and out of perhaps 20+ scents I really dig these two offerings from Comme des Garcons. I absolutely think they are bottle worthy but I don't have a budget for two, on top of that I like to commit to one scent at a time so help!

My impressions:

Sequoia- warm and outdoorsy,a hint of rum which I really like, the drydown makes me melt, monster longevity on my skin. 8 hours after I can still detect it without sticking my nose to the skin.

Kyoto - warm and calm, even more beautiful, the drydown is heavenly, I honestly like this one a little better than Sequoia but its longevity was disappointing, it didn't radiate as well as Sequoia.

As you can see, longevity and sillage are very important to me, I want a pleasant-smelling niche with a distinct character, but which is more practical? i.e everyday wear?

I am a 23 male.a banker type, easygoing, sometimes moody, curious and well acquainted with the finer things in life. I enjoy natural scents, words like woody, refined, warm, approachable all sound good to me.

My current favourites:

Timbutku,No.88, Mechant Loup and to a lesser extent, GIT.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by CDG; 2nd July 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Sequoia or Kyoto, help!

Sequoia is one of my favourites. Kyoto is kind of an unsuccessful revisit to me, perhaps because of the strong hamster-shaving accord I get with it.

They're both great though, you really can't go wrong.

If you have the money and can find it, too, CDG Hinoki is also right up your alley.

But anyways, yeah, I'd go with Sequoia. No regrets here.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    If you have the money and can find it, too, CDG Hinoki is also right up your alley.

But anyways, yeah, I'd go with Sequoia. No regrets here.
    Thanks for the reply!

I did try Hinoki, it was like a piece of branch buried in mud, very dry but very nice, although I don't see myself at present go for anything $150+.

I'm gonna have to go against dynendal here and recommend Kyoto. Personally, it blows my mind nearly every time I wear it and I spend most of the day smelling the back of my wrist.

Sequoia is fantastic, but it just doesn't have the same 'Wow' factor for me. I am so jealous of the longevity you experience with this scent. It smells great on me, but it disappears extremely fast :\ Amusing, since I can smell Kyoto faintly the next day haha

BOTH scents, however, are fantastic, and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice
    Last edited by alacious; 2nd July 2009 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    I am a 23 male.a banker type, easygoing, sometimes moody, curious and well acquainted with the finer things in life. I enjoy natural scents, words like woody, refined, warm, approachable all sound good to me.
    Sequoia would probably be best suited for you.

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    I'm gonna have to go against dynendal here and recommend Kyoto. Personally, it blows my mind nearly every time I wear it and I spend most of the day smelling the back of my wrist.

Sequoia is fantastic, but it just doesn't have the same 'Wow' factor for me. I am so jealous of the longevity you experience with this scent. It smells great on me, but it disappears extremely fast :\ Amusing, since I can smell Kyoto faintly the next day haha

BOTH scents, however, are fantastic, and I don't think you could go wrong with either choice
    It's funny today I was trying out 2MAN but in less than an hour I quickly washed it off because I couldn't stop thinking about how breathtaking Kyoto was one me yesterday, I am wearing it now, it really wows me by each hour.

I guess I've been blessed with Sequoia longeivity, I also really dig how natural it smells.

i have and love both of them. sequoia however, attracts more compliments.

Sur la Plage

Kyoto
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sequoia, no question.

One more vote in support of Sequoia.

It's like no other woody frag out there -- and one of the only CDG's I absolutely love. I've owned the entire Incense series AND Hinoki, and telling from [my own] experience, I grew tired of them one after the other. No such problem with Sequoia.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I honestly find it VERY hard telling the difference between Christian Lacroix - Tumulte and Kyoto. Tumulte also noticeably lasts a whole day on me. If you like dry cedar and incense its one of the best frags out there, and it can be found at much better prices than the CdG.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I honestly find it VERY hard telling the difference between Christian Lacroix - Tumulte and Kyoto. Tumulte also noticeably lasts a whole day on me. If you like dry cedar and incense its one of the best frags out there, and it can be found at much better prices than the CdG.
    There is also Jasper Conran - Mister, which is very similar to Sequoia. The similarity is even mentioned by bront82 in the review section:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128778.html
    Last edited by dr.creed; 2nd July 2009 at 01:15 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Basenotes Institution

From what you've described, get Sequoia.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Molten Gin

I owned both Kyoto and Sequoia, and I much preferred Sequoia.

In the end, for me, I found that they were decant-worthy but not FBW. As for what happened to the bottles -- they were both sold/swapped.
    Currently wearing: Pohadka by YS Uzac

I don't think you can go wrong with either but it sounds like you really want both. I like both too. Maybe grab small decants of both that way you could use both without committing to a full bottle. If I had to chose one I'd choose Kyoto.

I prefer Kyoto by a long margin.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sequoia is a red monster and Kyoto is a catholic saint.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Get decants of both.

I have Sequoia and want to get Kyoto.

I only sampled Kyoto but if I had to choose only one, it would be Sequoia.

I own both and Sequoia by a decent margin.

Wow, thanks guys for all the replies! I've a few following questions:

For those who voted Sequoia over Kyoto, what is it that that makes you think the former is slightly/vastly superior to the latter?

Is it my untrained nose or do these two share similar notes at some stage?

I am very curious about how some of you made recommendations based on the description of my character, which in you opinion doesn't quite fit how Kyoto portrays?

And thanks for suggesting other cheaper alternatives,only that I am really determined to get full bottles for these two, I will toy with the decant idea for other houses!

I am very curious about how some of you made recommendations based on the description of my character?
    You sort of just answered your own question.

I enjoy natural scents, words like woody, refined, warm, approachable all sound good to me.
    I also really dig how natural it (Sequoia) smells.
    Sequoia- warm and outdoorsy.
    As you can see, longevity and sillage are very important to me.
    Monster longevity on my skin. 8 hours after I can still detect it (Sequoia) without sticking my nose to the skin.
    I guess I've been blessed with Sequoia longeivity.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 2nd July 2009 at 11:15 PM.

Wow, thanks guys for all the replies! I've a few following questions:

For those who voted Sequoia over Kyoto, what is it that that makes you think the former is slightly/vastly superior to the latter?

Is it my untrained nose or do these two share similar notes at some stage?

I am very curious about how some of you made recommendations based on the description of my character, which in you opinion doesn't quite fit how Kyoto portrays?

And thanks for suggesting other cheaper alternatives,only that I am really determined to get full bottles for these two, I will toy with the decant idea for other houses!
    For me Sequoia is very different. Kyoto is like the other incense fragrance, with just enough to make them different from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    You sort of just answered your own question.
    LOL, I thought all of the characteristics could well apply to a Kyoto user too. The similarities between the two indeed make it so much difficult to choose.

Blog Entries

I have and love both but wear Kyoto more often than Sequoia.

But you sound like you prefer Sequoia, so maybe you should get it first, and Kyoto later...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    But you sound like you prefer Sequoia, so maybe you should get it first, and Kyoto later...
    I thought I did but now I don't know.

Sequoia I like it from start to end, the boozy beginning is simply mesmerizing, whereas Kyoto's top notes I am not too crazy about, but the drydown I prefer much better than Sequoia's.

Blog Entries

I thought I did but now I don't know.

Sequoia I like it from start to end, the boozy beginning is simply mesmerizing, whereas Kyoto's top notes I am not too crazy about, but the drydown I prefer much better than Sequoia's.
    Well, I think that it's the drydown that really counts, so when in doubt, pick the one whose drydown you prefer.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Well, I think that it's the drydown that really counts, so when in doubt, pick the one whose drydown you prefer.
    Both drydowns are to die for! Kyoto only wins by a slight margin, and sadly loses by a mile in terms of longevity.

I wore Kyoto today and disovered the drytown had a rather silky, a bit flowery texture. Sequoia is more rugged and masculine.

I am inclined more and more towards Sequoia..guilty

On a relevant note, If I like these two enough to own a bottle, will I like other offerings from incense and red series?

On RED:
    I head bad things about Palisander being furniture-like, and think it might be similar to what I plan to buy.
    I am curious about Harissa but not sure I will like the pepper note
    The rest have feminine names so I don't care

ON INCENSE:
    Avignon: not a fan of church smell but a little interested
    The rest not familiar with, personally I rather not have anything to do with religion unless it's extremely versatile. The concept does not sell to a atheist like me.

A month later,I finally gave in and bought two. This concludes the search for my signature scent(s).

nice I think both are bottle worthy too