Code of Conduct

Default Bois d' Iris: is it me or is the king naked?

I am sampling iris sents at the moment and I came across tDC BdI. I loved it! Absolutely. At 5:16pm. At 5:33 I had to bury my nose in my wrist and take a deep breath to remember what it smelled like. And this was a second application on the same point just to time the reaction. Is it me? At this rate you'll need a 100ml bottle to get you through the weekend. The scent is so beautiful that the whole thing feels like a joke.
    Has anyone had the same problem?

Default Re: Bois d' Iris: is it me or is the king naked?

The actual iris note, which is the best (and most masculine) rendition I've ever smelled (so incredibly rich, buttery-boozy), is indeed very short-lived. For me it lasts about thirty minutes, slowly moving into a more conventional base. I got my bottle for €35 and consider it worth it, but in terms of the reasonable longevity a perfume should have, it is indeed a dismal failure.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

as with all TDC's, this one too requires liberal sprays (7-8) and it lingers on me for over 8-12 hours. i find it acceptable and i enjoy it the way it is.

I get about 2-3 hours from it, but the first 30-45 minutes. It is what it is.

I started this thread because it have never experienced anything like it. Four spitzes (from a tester I admit) and I couldn't detect anything on my skin. I had to know if this is OK or some kind of mistake from the sampling site, although I use them regularly and their services are top quality.

Fleeting, but good -- like most of JCE's works.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to the wonderful world of JC Ellena scents.

I like to think of it like this: In nature, there are TONS of smells that are fleeting. Mr. Ellena has chosen to follow this same principle in some of his works. It smells fantastic for a while, then it fades.

You either love that or you hate it. I tend to go back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of JC Ellena scents.

I like to think of it like this: In nature, there are TONS of smells that are fleeting. Mr. Ellena has chosen to follow this same principle in some of his works. It smells fantastic for a while, then it fades.

You either love that or you hate it. I tend to go back and forth.
    And it costs an awful lot all the time... I think this is what gives niche perfumes a bad name. I do believe that cost=high quality ingredients=depth=longevity. If the equation doesn't add up something has gone awfully wrong.

The most expensive and 'highest quality' ingredients are premium naturals, which of course have a relatively fleeting longevity. The idea that quality ingredients = longevity is just extremely off the mark.

There is no definitive correlation. At all.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I totally agree with all the replies above, the Bois D'Iris is so short-lived, but smells so good. The first 30 minutes are what it's best at.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Based on my experience with quality iris butter, Bois d'Iris (with MPG Iris Bleu Gris in second) comes closest to replicating that rich, powdery, buttery iris butter note. MPG IBG is a bit too rooty, while Lutens Iris Silver Mist now smells like a quality iris from Gendarme. However, Bois d'Iris has a very sparse (mainly spicy) supporting structure .. granted it allows the somewhat fleeting superlative iris note to shine more, but people looking for a more complex perfume construction might be disappointed (hey theres always Dior Homme!).
    Last edited by zztopp; 5th February 2009 at 01:40 AM.
    -

Blog Entries

My skin just loves this scent and makes it last forever. But the first few hours are nicer, and the first 45 minutes are the absolute best. I find the beginning just incredibly rich and complex. Love it.

You could try spraying on clothes or hair. Works great, too, and you may get better longevity.

Hail to the king, baby!

Longevity ≠ quality

Bois d' Iris: is it me or is the king naked?
    It's you. You are the one who's naked.

Blog Entries

I had the same problem w/ it. Beautiful scent that you have to hold your nose right up to or there is nothing there. Have you tried P. Generale Iris Taizo? It is also a semi-sweet iris and has a bit more tooth IMO. I don't know about Heeley's Iris de Nuit, I am sending for a sample of that.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th February 2009 at 06:43 PM.

Heeley's quite good. Iris+cedar. More masculine as an iris scent.

Basenotes Institution

I sprayed this on clothes recently and it stuck around much longer.

Currently in love with this stuff - from a large decant I got in a swap. I want to douse myself in it, when I apply it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I love the topnotes, but it goes in a strange boozy, carnation-spicy direction after that.

Dior homme intense rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

This thread is pretty old, but I didn't see any remarks on the phenomenon of olfactory fatigue associated with iris/violet scents. I recall reading a lot about how iris/violet is one of the first things the nose "tunes out". I thought I read something about how this was even observed in the times of the Roman Empire.

I've sampled Bois D'Iris several times. I find it to be strong. I had to be careful even dabbing it out from a sample vial. I doubt there is a longevity issue at all with this one. It's likely a matter between the wearer and his/her nose.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 11th November 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    This thread is pretty old, but I didn't see any remarks on the phenomenon of olfactory fatigue associated with iris/violet scents. I recall reading a lot about how iris/violet is one of the first things the nose "tunes out". I thought I read something about how this was even observed in the times of the Roman Empire.

I've sampled Bois D'Iris several times. I find it to be strong. I had to be careful even dabbing it out from a sample vial. I doubt there is a longevity issue at all with this one. It's likely a matter between the wearer and his/her nose..
    Thanks for that info Indie - I was thinking this might be the culprit just this afternoon.

Next time I will deliberately under apply, to see if that works.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I've always considered BdI to be intensely strong and can easily smell it 2-4 hours after I apply, so I'm perplexed why others think it's so fleeting. Perhaps some of us should ask their friends to be guinea pigs for a sniff test.

btw, all this talk of Bois d'Iris got me worrying that I might run out soon, so I called Takashimaya NYC to see if they still had some 250 mL bottles of the stuff (I saw them on the shelf at their store on 5th Ave in June but bought a 50mL bottle instead). Alas, they were sold out - and they were 50% off when I saw them!! Carpe diem.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I like Bois d'Iris but it may be that the superior, and longer-lived, TDC iris scent is Sel de Vetiver.

I want to try it now
    I had a couple TDC scents that didn't do much for me, and that unfortunately made me forget about the house for a while. I think it's about time to revisit some.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I'm glad this thread came up today. Bois d'Iris is my second favorite TDC fragrance after Sel de Vetiver and I hadn't tried out my sample in quite some time. I love this stuff! It's a must-buy for me.

Like all good threads, I have been prompted to retry my sample which I truly disliked at first test many months ago. I found it oddly antiseptic. We'll see how it goes.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

This does not last on me at all either......It is a wonderful scent.....just does not last.....Gary

The opposite may be a frag that lasts a while but is quite "synthetic," especially at first. I generally prefer that approach, but everyone can make up his own mind. I really liked the top of the new Tabarome by Creed, for example, but because of longevity issues I decided it was not FBW.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I had the same problem w/ it. Beautiful scent that you have to hold your nose right up to or there is nothing there. Have you tried P. Generale Iris Taizo? It is also a semi-sweet iris and has a bit more tooth IMO. I don't know about Heeley's Iris de Nuit, I am sending for a sample of that.
    Iris de Nuit is drier, less sweet. Very clean. Similar opening medicinal opening to TDC's Bois d'Iris, but it changes tracks from there into something very clean and refined. Van Cleef & Arpels new Bois d'Iris is on another level, everything I wanted Iris Pallida to be, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    It's you. You are the one who's naked.
    What the hell. Let's ALL get naked.

I never really got all the bitching (excusez le mot) about JCE creations. For one; a breezy, minimalistic approach does not mean there's a lack of quality. It requires a more cerebral approach on the part of the wearer than when wearing any given amber-and-vanilla bomb, it's not as easily accessible. If you don't like that, if it ain't your cuppa, that's fine, but that doesn't make it a bad scent per se.
    Secondly, these things last all day for me on just the two-three sprays. They're subtle, absolutely, but they're there. Now I don't buy that my nose is extraordinarily fine-tuned. I'm not that speshul.
    So what gives? Are we/you just overloading our olfactory senses by overspraying on a daily basis? By using too much of too heavy scents? Mind you, not placing blame, just speculating here. I'd consider it a pity if anything consciously done would lessen the potential enjoyment you could derive from these subtle JCE's.
    Alrighty, rant over. Let the disagreement begin.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Hey what do ya know! The nose truly does grow, because I enjoyed my sampling last night immensely, and will make it my SOTD today.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Wore TDC Bois d'Iris all day today. I did respray (a couple of sprays from my little travel bottle) at lunchtime and again just now (for bedtime). It's an interesting one -- just when I think it's gone, I will catch a whiff of it. Longevity for me is below average, but it is so beautiful that it's worth an extra spray or two throughout the day.

What I love about Bois d'Iris is its warmth (my other favorite iris fragrance, Iris Taizo, shares this quality). The colder iris fragrances (Hiris, for example) leave me, well, cold. I like my iris with a goodly amount of wood or spice or vanilla or musk -- something to balance its aloof character.

IMO Bois d'Iris is a modern classic. I love it.

I find this to be one of the weakest fragrances of all time. Spray it on, and as soon as my wrist dries, it's gone! Poof.

Those pleasant few seconds aren't worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I find this to be one of the weakest fragrances of all time. Spray it on, and as soon as my wrist dries, it's gone! Poof.

Those pleasant few seconds aren't worth it for me.
    +1

I do like it, but way too fleeting for me, even with 8-10 sprays.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The most expensive and 'highest quality' ingredients are premium naturals, which of course have a relatively fleeting longevity. The idea that quality ingredients = longevity is just extremely off the mark.

There is no definitive correlation. At all.
    Spot on. The tenacious scrubber is seldom what I would call 'high quality'. Finding the right base to hold a quality top note for long enough is the holy grail of perfumery. I find Bois d'Iris light-wearing but not necessarily shy of sillage since I still catch the occasional whiff 2-3 hours after application. Fans of heavy duty scents may find it harder to appreciate Ellena's minimalist compositions but I don't blame them.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 13th November 2009 at 08:22 AM.

Spray on clothes - and you will be amazed next day

By the way, Donna Karan made one new Iris (I posted some info on feminine part of BN), and I rather would not mention new iris perfume from Cartier in Les Heures des Parfum collection...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Like many others, the radiance and longevity of Bois d'Iris can be deceptive when sampling. Buy a bottle and use it awhile and then see what your perceptions are. It's a quality fragrance but it can be thoroughly tedious in a short period of time. But as moon_fish said, it smells great on clothes. And I definitely wouldn't consider it the king. That title belongs to Iris Silver Mist, which also gets tiring soon enough. Iris soliflores tend to do that. They make fabrics smell great, though.

-
    Last edited by pluran; 13th November 2009 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Wore TDC Bois d'Iris all day today. I did respray (a couple of sprays from my little travel bottle) at lunchtime and again just now (for bedtime). It's an interesting one -- just when I think it's gone, I will catch a whiff of it. Longevity for me is below average, but it is so beautiful that it's worth an extra spray or two throughout the day.

What I love about Bois d'Iris is its warmth (my other favorite iris fragrance, Iris Taizo, shares this quality). The colder iris fragrances (Hiris, for example) leave me, well, cold. I like my iris with a goodly amount of wood or spice or vanilla or musk -- something to balance its aloof character.

IMO Bois d'Iris is a modern classic. I love it.
    Haunani, I agree about its warmth. As a well-documented iris hater, I'm honestly surprised at how much I truly enjoyed wearing Bois d'Iris yesterday. So much so, that it's going on my wish list as potential purchases. It's really great stuff.