Code of Conduct

Default Ylang Ylang / Cananga

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Ylang-ylang
    (eo, asia) for me this is not at all a pleasant smell, it is kind of a flower exaggeration. it borders on the hawaii-kitschy, reminiscent of tropic countries when it is too hot. i also smell some clove and carnation. very exotic, very heavy.

Ylang Ylang : Fragrance oil, an intoxicating and heady floral, does not smell so much like the EO, but the resemblance is evident. Rubber, ammonia, white flower

ylang ylang
    tropical flowers , definitely heady.

Ylang ylang
    : overpowering exotic, for me it provokes a "just too much"-reaction. also a medical note here like being placed on a dentist┤s chair. also the rancid rusty corrodedness of the synthetic methyl salicylate there.

Ylang ylang 10%: classic sexy scent this one is a bit plastic?

Ylang-Ylang - I have a blind spot in my memory for this floral. No matter how many times I smell it, it always surprises me, and then I can't remember what it smells like again. I think I confuse it for a synthetic tuberose accord. It is strong, smells similar to jasmine, but more spicy like rose. Nice sample.

Ylang-ylang - Now that's a nice ylang-ylang. I can't tell you if it's all natural or not because I have trouble identifying this flower. It is highly variable. Some EOs smell good to me, almost jasminey, others smell foul. This one is fruity; it smells like like tropical fruits, smooth, even a bit oily, and sweet. Nice.

Ylang Ylang Fragrant Oil - very enjoyable! A floral with almost a peppery quality to it. No wonder people use this so much. Very fresh. This is my favorite so far. Only one sample left.

Ylang-ylang - Fragrance oil . Bubblegum. And I love bubblegum.

Ylang-Ylang, essential oil, country unknown, 5% concentration in alcohol: it starts with a BLAST! And this blast is extremely unpleasant - who would have thought? It smells strongly of wet dog, wet hay, licorice powder. Maybe my concentration is too high... however, surprise! As soon as the initial alcohol/eo punch evaporates, the smell is soft, powdery, clove-spiked... very reminiscent of carnation, and I'll add the kind of wild deep pink carnation with the smaller, less complicated blooms. I see it spicing up less incisive floral notes, or paired with leather (ok, I am a weird leather obsessed gal) ... maybe to render orris more powdery and floral? I start understanding why it is largely used...its possibilities seem endless.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Ylang Ylang / Cananga

Ylang ylang essential oil from Aveda -smooth ,almost creamy - oily ,deep, floral aroma . Very good.
    I've smelt this exact aroma in many Ajne natural scents. In fact when I first applied it - it made me think of Divin and Fleur Blanche by Ajne.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Ylang ylang oil is sold on streets in the towns throughout Comoro Islands and is heavenly.

For anyone who enjoys ylang-ylang oils, I cordially suggest you Agent Provocateur's, it is deep, rich, strong and smells for a long time... Divine.
    No, I am not black, yes, I am African.

Ylang ylang 1st EO - i have a love hate relationship with this EO, the lower quality oils smell outright like antiseptic, very medicinal and turn to plastic or dental office in every blend. You need a high quality extra EO for it to be worthwhile. Ylang lang comes across as heady, sweet, exotic, touch of sweet bakery spices. In drydown you get fruity and often rubber. I rarely like it as a floral note in itself but it is very good for changing the nature of blends. It exalts citrus and softens and sweetens dry woods. Jackfruit is what it reminds me of, pineapple, banana and a hint of mango which incidentally can smell really rank in the heat.

Banned

i love this note,

Tasneem from profumo.it smells like top quality yilang flower oil, its so soothing,sweet, creamy, but very fleeting!

Vanilia L Artisan- here i get a bit of everything: floral- banana smell, little antiseptic too! a touch of plastic(when i smelled it 1st time), but dont get it anymore, the dry down is tiny rubbery note similar to Black Bvlgari

the colour i associate to this smell is creamy yellow