Code of Conduct

Thread: Galbanum

Default Galbanum

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Galbanum, Iran, Eden Botanicals – The Queen of Green. Earthy, pungent, and incredibly strong. Smells like a live plant yanked from the ground—leaves, stem, roots, dirt, and all. This is one of my favorite notes of all time, featured prominently in the Chypre Green genre, which I love.

Galbanum, Iran: the same as mine = resinous dark green pine sour bitter astringent. Other sample, fresh floral lily violet

Galbanum: GREEN!!! Green like grass, fresh herbs in the garden, limes, maybe a faint bit of eucalytpus in the background.

Galbanum: medicinal, aromatic, bitter, sour

Galbanum – The heavy-hitter of green fragrances. This sample is pretty harsh. I still love this note, though. Always smells like a living plant yanked from the ground and crushed. Reminds me of weeding a garden.

Galbanum, origin Turkey, 2% dilution in carrier oil: aha, this is a note I know. Like P-bird said, it is quite distinctive in the top of green chypres. A green smell, but not like tender leaves, unsweet, it reminds me a bit of raw white asparagus, with hints of bark and dry stalks.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Galbanum

Thank you Asha- highly informative- I went to Eden Botanicals' website but it seems they no longer have it . I looked under essential oils. Is there a good alternative source to explore ? Incidentally I stumbled upon this http://www.biblefragrances.net/galbanum.html when researching galbanum . Tempting !
    I am now definitely interested in this note led here by Bluebell by Penhaligon !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Some DIYers like Liberty Natural but I have heard mixed things about them. Also, did you check Perfumer's Apprentice? I think that is where the original kit came from.

I love galbanum--since this project started, it has become one of my favorite green notes. Chanel No.19 is high in Galbanum as is Sisely's Eau de Campagne.
    Last edited by Asha; 30th September 2009 at 03:41 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you Asha- yes I loved Chanel No.19 and Eau de Campagne-beautiful. I'll check Perfumer's Apprentice.

Vintage Balmain Vent Vert has the most intense galbanum I have ever had the pleasure to sniff.

Like a laser beam- brilliant! Vintage VV is available at pretty decent prices on the 'bay as well.

Gorgeous stuffs

My nose picks up more Galbanum than anything else in Givenchy III.

What I find interesting, is that this note doesn't evoke in me a color (green) the way it does for most people, but a texture. When I smell it, I immediately think of reediness, that stringy feel of a tough flower stem that is difficult to cut, like Queen Anns Lace....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Galbanum to the 10th power = Private Collection (parfum) by Estee Lauder.

Another fragrance with a healthy dose of this, quite surprising actually, is Roadster by Cartier - right before the mint kicks in it's all about the green!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Galbanum to the 10th power = Private Collection (parfum) by Estee Lauder.

Another fragrance with a healthy dose of this, quite surprising actually, is Roadster by Cartier - right before the mint kicks in it's all about the green!
    Making a note of Private Collection, Mike.
    No wonder I love Roadster !

In another thread, somebody mentioned Givenchy III...I had forgotten about that one. Another is Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois which combines galbanum with aromatic herbs.

O de Lancome has a nice galbanum stage at the start, also. Sadly, it is extremely short lived.
    Last edited by Asha; 30th September 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Cabochard also has galbanum as part of it's wonderful top note blend.

Basenotes Institution

[QUOTE=Asha;O de Lancome has a nice galbanum stage at the start, also. Sadly, it is extremely short lived.[/QUOTE]

Another perfume I love and I didn't know why .3xasif also mentioned Futur just re released By Robert Pigeut which has galbanum in it.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th September 2009 at 04:51 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Laura Ashley No. 1 has galbanum listed as one of its top notes. I don't think I could pick it out though.

Galbanum essential oil, Absolute Aromas: Intensively green, pungent and earthy – reminiscent of how hands smell after hours spent weeding and tidying an unkempt garden. Although it’s devoid of much sweetness, it’s more sour than bitter – with a prominent vinegary underscore and perhaps a touch of lime. The sour greenness soon makes way for a very soft and woody aromatic aroma. Within an hour, there’s hardly anything left but a faint whisper.

The most prominent galbanum infused scent I have ever smelled was Cobra Pour Homme (vintage) by Jeanne Arthes.

queen of the universe

Weil de Weil is another great galbanum. Private Collection being the greatest.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Galbanum essential oil, Absolute Aromas: Intensively green, pungent and earthy – reminiscent of how hands smell after hours spent weeding and tidying an unkempt garden. .
    thats how it smells to me too, like i smashed ivy with my hands and it gives that raw green plant smell, bitter, not soar ...dark green.... the opposite of a flower smell

i am not sure where i smell galbanum in perfumes....i associated it with something spicy, but its only green bitter to me

Givenchy 3 is so mossy, like Caleche vintage

I have galbanum from White Lotus. It reminds me of radishes.