Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood / Santal

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Sandalwood (natural?) – No species listed. Fresh, peppery top notes, cut-pine-lumber base. Not creamy.

Sandalwood, Santalum austro-caledonicum, Tigerflag – The species names are confusing. Even though this uses the prefix “austro,” it refers to Vanatu sandalwood, while the name Santalum spicatum refers to Australian sandalwood. (Go figure.) This sample has prolonged, harsh top notes that smell pungent and earthy, almost smoky. (It is difficult to wait through these bitter overtones.) It gradually grows in sweetness as you wear it on your warm skin. The middle notes smell similar to cut pine boards. The eventual base notes are sweet and enjoyable but retain a bit of an evergreen undertone. The aroma is long lasting. Madini Santal Blanc smells like this substance, which is to say, drier and woodier than the soft, sweet aroma of the synthetics to which we have become accustomed.
    I don’t know what real Mysore sandalwood smells like; I’ve never smelled it by itself. People say that it is creamy and sweet. I hope the people of India realize the value of this endangered species and succeed in cultivating it. I hope they receive a fair price for it in the future—a price that would make it worth saving.

Sandalore, synthetic, Perfumers Apprentice – Soft, sweet, and diffusive. This seems to be the quintessential “carrier” substance; its pleasant, nondescript aroma wouldn’t clash with anything. It is not as easy to smell as the Javanol, which apparently is a newer product. Quiet and tenacious.

Javanol, synthetic, Perfumers Apprentice – Soft, sweet, diffusive, and a bit oily-woody. This is a nice attempt to recreate a realistic Mysore sandalwood. It has more character than the Sandalore. I could see using this in many, many situations. Tenacious.

Javanol (synthetic): super sweet and syrupy, tart, ambery, resinous

Sandalwood, fragrance oil: sweet vanilla orange very nice

Sandalwood, Eden Botanicals: harsh rooty resin.

Sandalwood, fragrance oil: sweet woody

Sandalore (synthetic): super sweet and light, soft powder

Sandalwood: Very dry woods, kinda like peeling bark and almost bitter. Is this natural or one of TPA's blends?

Sandalwood (EO, Aura Cacia, Santalum album origin unknown)--3 drops on cotton, wafted
    Mildly aromatic, sweet, woody and a little vanillic and citrus. It actually reminds me of rosewood, but much more refined and soft. A few hours later, the vanilla sweetness is pretty much gone, and a dry, bitter, slightly aromatic wood with a touch of citrus remains.

Sandalwood - Nicer than mine. What species is this? It doesn't have any harsh topnotes. It is quite woody, a little sweet, and soft, but it warms up and gathers strength like a true sandalwood. I can't say that it's creamy, though. I would not know Mysore sandalwood if I smelled it.

Sandalwood, origin unknown (Linda lists it among the naturals in the kit), 2% dilution in carrier oil: this one is faint, but what I smell is a very creamy, nutty sandalwood, almost coconutty. I usually detect a slightly acidic note in sandalwood, but here there's no trace of it, it's so smooth. Loved it and now wish to smell it au naturel.

Default Re: Sandalwood / Santal

Javanol (synthetic) slightly nutty, creamy, soft and fluffy wood shavings smell.

3 drops of sandalwood EO in 2 tbsp water, in a simmering potpourri.
    The oil is clear and viscous. As it warms, it has a majestic, even thrilling woody scent. Given the price ($33 for 5 ml) I assume it is natural.
    It is very woody, slightly sweet but not heavy, aromatic and pleasing. Various elements of roots, forest earth, and brown bark emerge. There is also a slight nutty scent, at times a bit like coconut.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Indian sandalwood (source unknown): Surprisingly weak. Not like synthetics at all. Very little character that identifies this as a woody smell. Actually smells more turpentine-like. Not too tenaceous.

Javanol: Sweet, but with a definite sour/tangy aspect to it. Very strong, much stronger than real sandalwood. Much more tenaceous than real sandalwood.

Vanuatu sandalwood: Much more tangy and strong smelling than the Indian sandalwood I have (and without the turpentine aspect). Not very attractive as it is too sour/tangy as compared to other real sandalwoods. Need to use much less in blends as when using other real sandalwoods.

Blog Entries

@Asha "Sandalwood, Eden Botanicals: harsh rooty resin".

New here. I think maybe I am an essential oils man after trying some of the parfumes. We'll see.
    Noted Asha's take on Eden Botanicals sandalwood. Are you referring to their organic, steam-distilled Indian sandalwood? (Santalam album). I got my little vial today from them and put a drop on my wrist. Let it work for a while and then began to smell this wonderful, rich, soft, slightly sweet fragrance. Just wonderful! Nothing harsh about it. Just the opposite. I am convinced now that only the real thing is worth wearing.

Mysore sandalwood essential oil, Aqua Oleum: Sheer, soft and buttery, with a subtle sweetness. It's also very discreet on the skin. Although it lacks the depth that others have reported about this type of oil, according to Alec Lawless, it's a very recent distillation. Therefore, it would be futile to compare it against aged Mysore sandalwood oil.

New Caledonian sandalwood essential oil, Aqua Oleum: Less smooth than Mysore sandalwood oil and significantly sweeter. It consists of both a prominent and fuzzy berry-like aroma that lingers for quite some time, before a typical sandalwood aroma emerges. An interesting and rather complex variety of sandalwood oil.

Vanuatu sandalwood essential oil, Eden Botanicals: With a very high concentration of santalols (thus being more robust than other sandalwood oils), it's very temperamental on the skin. Harsh, very sour and urinal but it, occasionally, mellows out to something more palatable after a few hours. Whether it will greatly improve with age is the big question. Both longevity and sillage are far superior to other sandalwood oils tried so far, and is probably best used either for blending or intensifying a sandalwood oil cocktail.

Santalum Spicatum - Australian Sandalwood EO

When I first purchased this 4 years ago I didn't much enjoy the smell of it. It had a harsh camphorous note that reminded me too much of eucalyptus. I left the bottle in the back of my fridge. I rediscovered it today and much to my surprise the sharp camphorous note was fleeting and underneath is a dry aromatic heart with strong peppery notes. It's extremely tenacious. I applied a 20% dilution to my forearm and wore it for an hour. The woody notes blossomed in my skin with the dry, peppery wood becoming prominent, it survived a thorough exfoliation in the shower and was still present as a noticable skin scent. It blends well with vetiver and petitgrain, creating a fresh woody forest scent. You can tell it's a santalum but it bears little resemblence to the east Indian variety.
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 20th October 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Mysore sandalwood is my favorite of the varieties I am familiar with. Very creamy smelling if that makes sense.

Banned

australian sandalwood is much used in new Lush collection, esp.Voice of reason it smells like
    real woods and starts very smokey and sweetens by the end but remains woody and kind of dry rather then creamy, sweet,buttery mysore?

...and mysore i am imagining from vintage Samsara

does this make sense? real mysore i just dont expect to smell woody at all?