Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Iso E Super

Default Re: ISO E Super

I never really cared for Encre Noire, but I do think Terre D' Hermes is pretty good. I'd say that Molecule 01 is a great smell, and I was once told by a coworker that it was the best scent I've ever worn. So, I'd say that you can't automatically like or dislike a fragrance just because of the Iso E Super note, unless you really know what Iso E Super smells like, and then you can say whether or not you really dislike it. Hermessence Poivre Samarcande is another Iso E Super frag. I don't really care for it, since the spices smell a bit too exotic to me. Fahrenheit is great, but enhances Iso E Super with notes of petrol, violet, and honeysuckle. So, yeah, either get some cheap Iso E Super from a place like perfumer's apprentice or maybe a sample of Molecule 01 and continue to enhance your fragrance journey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm not to keen on it and dislike it in Rose 31.
    exactly same thing here!

treeman5823

I doubt it's the Iso E. Iso E super smells slightly oily, a touch sweet, and a touch woody--in other words, it's inoffensive. To me, TDH might smell rough or unpleasant to some due to a huge cedar--not necessarily Iso E--and vetiver chord. This is where you start smelling those interesting mineral notes.

Default Re: Iso E Super

I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around how anyone could "dislike" the scent it puts off...seems more to me as a scapegoat ingredient people peg as the reason to dislike a fragrance. A pleasant, almost undetectable soft wood scent can hardly be offensive.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. TL View Post
    I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around how anyone could "dislike" the scent it puts off...seems more to me as a scapegoat ingredient people peg as the reason to dislike a fragrance. A pleasant, almost undetectable soft wood scent can hardly be offensive.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't think enough people actually know what Iso E smells like.

I have a bottle of ISO E. At low concentrations in etoh on it's own - 10 to 15% - it smells good to me, but higher concentrations on my skin produce a harsh, varnish like smell.

I once sprayed some in a pair of old and none too fragrant leather work gloves and left them over a weekend in a vehicle. I opened the door on the following Monday and was greeted with a gorgeous, sweet and subtle wood/leather odour.

I do like it on its own, but think that it's best at subtly enhancing other fragrances.

-

My opinion on Iso E Super is that it's sort of in the same category as Hedione in that I consider it very nondescript. Some people might think that isn't doing either material justice because they of course have their own unique character, but the character Iso E Super does have is just so nondescript woody to me. Another way I would describe it is poor man's ambroxan (synthetic ambergris material).

I personally like working with Iso E because it works as a great starting material that other woody notes can be added to. Kind of like a canvas.

I guess Im lucky that I havent found anything as of yet that Im anosmic to. I find iso e very strong straight. Sharp and extra extra cedary. I could not imagine using up to the IFRA maximum. Ive diluted it down to 10% and it is still strong to me although not off putting. Recogniseable for sure. Just walk past any Ambercrombie store and its cranking out of there.
    Zanshin

Banned

the name sounds as some opaque chemical,sharp with some superpowers, yet when i smelled it it was oily and i thought i am smelling some perfume

its woody little sweet(almond sweet sort of), very mild, not like one would expect from a synthetic stuff...that woody aroma reminds me of some room smells from the past....(could have come from masculine designers perfumes in that room, in the late 80s to 90s)

when it dries down it starts getting louder synthetic
    Last edited by iivanita; 14th March 2013 at 09:33 PM.