Code of Conduct

Thread: Calone

Default Calone

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Calone, 2% dilution in carrier oil...haha, the dreaded molecule. I don't find it sooo terrible, it perfectly achieves what it was meant to. An aquatic, transparent, watermelon-y impression.
    And I'll add also to the same family

Calone – Strong, unique aroma. I smelled it as soon as the cap came off, straight from the bottle, before I even dipped the strip. Expansive note, breezy, sweet-smooth-salty, cucumber and melon, watery fruit. The quintessential aquatic note. Much more projection than Melanol. An essential ingredient in any fragrance that bears the name “rain” or “water.” Nose burnout risk.

Calone: smells like fake watermelon flavouring in lollies. Not too convinced about the aquatic-ness of it. Thought I got a whiff of nail polish remover but it suddenly disappeared.

Default Re: Calone

I'm not a fan of Ozonic fragrances, but small amounts of Calone can be used to boost other notes, especially Citrus and transparent florals.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I'm not a fan of Ozonic fragrances, but small amounts of Calone can be used to boost other notes, especially Citrus and transparent florals.
    I agree, in many cases Calone works best when it is below the threshold of conscious detection: it serves to brighten a blend - certainly good for citrus and transparent fragrances but also good in heavier florals to keep them from becoming oppressive.

In larger amounts it can be aquatic but in my experience not ozonic. That said I'm normally using it at a 1% dilution in ethanol so I'm never putting a high percentage into the finished product.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Does anyone know where to buy it, undiluted or at least in a relatively strong dilution?

In it’s pure form it is solid at room temperature, but it dissolves quite readily in ethanol. You can buy it from Perfumer’s Apprentice and Hekserij.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Dear Chris,
    Thanks for the tip. I've also tracked down Calone at perfumersworld.com and at Virgon International. Virgon wanted all kinds of explanations and I had to lay it on really thick about my chemistry background.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I don't find it sooo terrible, it perfectly achieves what it was meant to. An aquatic, transparent, watermelon-y impression.
    Nor do I. Personally never understood what the aversion was to this.

Guess it's a love or hate thing. I just don't like the smell of most Aquatics. I did used to use Calone though; sometimes it was necessary.

Calone was the very first smell that I came here to identify as I absolutely HATE it. Fake, painful, awful. Perhaps it is because of Cool Water overload in my youth?