Code of Conduct

Thread: Cassia

Default Cassia

Compiled from the Note Identification Project Thread:

Cassia - This is a great substitute for anyone who loves cinnamon but fears an allergic reaction to that oil. Smells just like cinnamon, strength and sweetness included. Note: Not to be confused with "cassie" AKA "blackcurrent" which is entirely different, and fruity.

Cassia 5%: wow , heavy buttery cinnamon

Cassia: i think this is best synthetic i ever smelled insofar as coming so close to the real thing that you really cant tell the difference. i fact i could put that right over a tasty apfelstrudel, yumm! next i would go for the

Cassia harsh cinnamon

Default Re: Cassia

Cassia isn't a synthetic (though I suppose there may be a synthetic version of it; I've never seen one). It's Cinnamomum aromaticum, also called Chinese cinnamon.

It's also one of the oils that tends to be sensitising, more so than cinnamon, in fact. It's actually on the banned list for the International Fragrance Association. It is a very nice cinnamonny fragrance, a little sharper, I think, and I don't find it as deeply complex as cinnamon bark or cinnamon leaf. It's quite nice in something like a soap, that has lots of carrier material and is rinsed away.

I had the devil of a time finding any of it. It's impossible to get in Australia. It might be banned for sale here, I'm not sure (or, maybe just nobody carries it). I had to order it from overseas.
    Last edited by bonni; 18th September 2010 at 07:51 PM.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

In the US, the "cinnamon" sticks you get are usually cassia. A single layer of thick bark. The stuff you can find in Mexican-American markets, with many frayed and frazzled thin layers that fall apart from each other, is real cinammon (though don't ask me which subspecies). To me, cinammon smells and tastes smoother than cassia, which has more of that sharp "bite". (based on boiling the heck out of it to make teas)

All I can say is the cassia I received is very strong and hot. It filled the whole apartment as soon as I opened the bottle and burned the skin a bit from the residue on the cap. Holy cinnamon!

Quote Originally Posted by Starsoflight View Post
    All I can say is the cassia I received is very strong and hot. It filled the whole apartment as soon as I opened the bottle and burned the skin a bit from the residue on the cap. Holy cinnamon!
    LOL! I tend to like cassia a little less than cinnamon.