Code of Conduct

Thread: Cinnamon

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cinnamon

Compiled from the Note Identification Thread:

Cinnamon Leaves
    , unknown origin,. Eden Botanicals – Sweet, hot, a bit woody and bitter. This sample comes from the leaf of the plant, not the bark which we are accustomed to using for flavoring. The reason I tried the leaf oil is because the bark has high potential for sensitization. Saigon cinnamon is one of my favorite spice aromas and flavors--this leaf cinnamon is not as pleasant.

Cinnamon bark
    (cassia), origin unknown, 5% dilution in ethanol: I chose to start with a lower concentration and did well. This is an extremely potent and long lasting note and it smells (well, don't laugh, I don't know how else I should describe it) like the cinnamon sticks or powder used in cooking . It has way more more personality than black pepper or ginger. I love it, but this I knew already! Of the scents I tried featuring cinnamon among the predominant notes, I'd say the Korres Vanilla & Cinnamon Body Water is the one truest to the EO.

Cinnamon (sticks) - how on earth do you describe cinnamon??? Smells like the yummy baked goodies kinda cinnamon - not too heavy/spicy and softer than SL Rousse. Reminds me of making gingerbread (as my gingerbread usually contains more cinnamon than ginger). Also found powdered "Dutch cinnamon" in the spice cupboards. It was unopened and looks a little lighter than the regular powdered cinnamon. Anyone know if there's a difference? Hmm maybe I should go check. Note: Dutch Cinnamon is cassia.

Un profumo affettuoso

Default Re: Cinnamon

I'm a huge fan of cinnamon and would like to ask if you could suggest some more fragrances with a VERY dominant cinnamon note. (Apart from Korres Vanilla&Cinnamon Body Water)
    ROUSSE by Serge Lutens is another cinnamon scent, but it does not completely satisfy me, since the drydown is weird and messy.
    Any other ideas would be highly appreciated! Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jalé View Post
    I'm a huge fan of cinnamon and would like to ask if you could suggest some more fragrances with a VERY dominant cinnamon note. (Apart from Korres Vanilla&Cinnamon Body Water)
    ROUSSE by Serge Lutens is another cinnamon scent, but it does not completely satisfy me, since the drydown is weird and messy.
    Any other ideas would be highly appreciated! Thanks.
    This thread contains some good recommendations:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...light=cinnamon
    I think Estee Lauder Cinnabar may work for you.

Probably my all-time favorite note in a man's fragrance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't know what it is, but there's something about the smell of cinnamon that I dislike intensely. Sort of a fetid element woven into the pleasant spiciness. I want to like it, but can't quite get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Cinnamon bark distilled from Vietnam (I bought it at Enfleurage.)

Sweet and spicy, warm, uplifting, just classic cinnamon on the dry side like you'd smell in your spice drawer, smoky straight from the bottle, sweeter when diluted.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

cinnamon leaf- oh this is so clovey, or carnation type of smell with a hint of cinnamon very unpleasant thing for me! yuk

Cassia Chinese cinnamon EO- smells like cinnamon used in the kitchen....with some woody base, almost like they mixed some iso E super in it ...later converges to that carnation-citrusy smell with cinnamon hints
    holds large doses of coumarin, so i read, and 3 mins later my skin reacted with rash

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I am aware there is no Coumarin in Cinnamon Bark oil, but there is about 90.0% Cinnamic Aldehyde. Cinnamic Aldehyde is a skin sensitiser (COSHH R43) and is one of the 26 allergens. You should never put a concentrated Essential oil (any oil) on your skin.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cinnamon Leaf EO - Is like cinnamon spice at the bottom of a bin of fish heads and rubbish.

Cinnamon Bark EO steam distilled - Smells much closer to the spice, with less warmth and more dryness.

Post Thanks / Like

It's worth mentioning that Cassia is not real Cinnamon, and that can cause some confusion in regards to odor profile and allergens. Real cinnamon doesn't contain coumarin, but cassia does. As David mentioned both oils contain a high amount of cinnamic aldehyde which is why you don't see a lot of dominant cinnamon notes in FF. I believe the max usage for cinnamic aldehyde is something like 0.1%. So for a cologne with 10% fragrance that means a maximum of 1% cinnamic aldehyde could be used.

As far as odor goes...I think cassia is very hot, dry, spicy. Very reminiscent of big red or cinnamon hot candy. Cinnamon bark is softer, slightly powdery, a touch of lemon in the first whiff, and overall more like a cinnamon stick.