Code of Conduct

Default Labdanum / Cistus / Rock Rose

Compiled from the Note Identification Thread:

Labdanum, #1, Spain, Eden Botanicals – Very sweet, vanillic, pine lumber. This is the classic “amber” fragrance. Full, woody, complex aroma. This is what KuumbaMade Amber Paste smells like. Very gooey, orange substance that needs to dissolve in alcohol overnight.

Labdanum, #2, Spain, Eden Botanicals – Very sweet, vanillic, pine lumber, this darker labdanum has some molasses undertones. This substance is what Madini Ambargris smells like. Gooey, darker reddish orange.

Labdanum, Clear, Spain, Eden Botanicals – Very similar to #1, perhaps a bit lighter.

Labdanum (clear): woody, light vanilla, sweet, pine resin

Labdanum (#2): woody, heavy vanilla, resinous, caramel, almonds, smoke

Labdanum Absolute #1, solvent extracted, origin Spain, source Eden Botanicals: intriguing...I eventually get to try the star of amber accords in so many fragrances. This one is pleasantly sweet, only moderately powdery, with a strong smell of pine wood, pine resin and slight incense.

Labdanum Absolute #2, solvent extracted, origin Spain, source Eden Botanicals: much sweeter and creamier than Labdanum #1, with an intense wine-y note. The smell of pine resin is more subdued.

Edited on 24 March 2019 to add photograph of the plant.

IMG_2970.jpg
    Last edited by Asha; 24th March 2019 at 09:46 PM.

Default Re: Labdanum / Cistus / Rock Rose

Check out scentemental's excellent contribution here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200664&highlight=Labdanum

(See message #17)
    Last edited by Asha; 7th August 2009 at 01:07 PM.

I have made a phenomenally good Labdanum tincture using raw Cistus Creticus obtained from this site.

Source: Crete, Greece
    Qualities: leathery, bittersweet, resinous, fermented fruits, slightly peppery, slightly smokey.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 27th October 2009 at 05:57 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Dimitri, did you use the actual plant? Or the resin only?

The resin only for this one.
    Now I re-read my post above I can see how you might have been confused.
    What I meant to say is:
    "I made an excellent tincture from raw labdanum havested from the Cistus creticus plant..."
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Basenotes Institution

Labdanum -- (I thought I knew!) -- wow! Mentholated and very strong smell of moldy rose stems (with greens, leaves and thorns). Mr.T has a cleaning solution in the garage -- I think it is called Green Jake -- that's it! I did not get anything musky or wild from this.
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Labdanum/cistus varies tremendously from one source to another. My favorite so far is the cistus from Spain supplied by Liberty Natural. It is liquid and bright orange in color. It has a very strong, entirely pleasant, resinous/amber fragrance.

Labdanum absolute from newdirectionsuk.com – I find this very difficult to compare to anything. It's rich, sweet, that might be a bit too much if blended with something like rose. I think it's the perfect partner for Sweet Orange, or possibly Frankincense. I love this but I can understand that some people might find it overpowering.

Labdanum raw resin, Spain. Scents Of Earth.

I've found my scent soulmate, it's name is labdanum. I'm not an amber lover but this doesn't say amber to me. Strong with a huge hit of vanillic benzoin, peppery, spicy, cherry cola, blackberry jam with camphorous woods and a sweet flower, back note of cough syrup. Jam tarts hot out of the oven.

I've tinctured this and used it on my skin. It's all of the above in the beginning and dries down to a true incense smell on my skin. The only resin so far that smells incensey to me, tart and strong. I can't even wash this off!
    Last edited by ClaraAus; 21st November 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Just recently became acquainted with this through a friend. Almost came off as a dark incense smell.

Blog Entries

To my novice nose labdanum smells almost exactly the same as the amber note in that they both come off as resinous to me; I can't differentiate the two in certain perfumes. Ughh.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Labdanum resinoid, extracted from the resin of C. ladanifer, Spain: incensy, smokey, resinous smell, actually reminds me more of myrrh resin than labdanum resin, a bit like Norma Kamali Incense (but much less smokey and a bit sweeter), dry woody notes there too, faint dried fruits (dried plum?). In jar it appears almost solid, very highly viscose, sticky, chewy when you put in a spoon/tool (the actual resin in know is softer, sticky as well but much less than my resinoid). In this state it has surprisingly low intensity in its scent. My 25% solution is pretty intense though and my scale (after cleaning it with ethanol) smelled of this for two weeks.
    Currently wearing: Snuff by Elsa Schiaparelli

I get a distinct vermouth vibe from it. Particularly Martini Rosso. Am I doing it right?

I planted Labdanum / Cistus / Rockrose in my garden, and it looked so pretty the other day that I had to take a photo! The foliage and flowers are both fragrant, and basically smell of "amber", ie, sweet, woody, smoky, tobacco-like, incense-like, balsamic, resinous. The fragrance from the plant is heavenly for amber lovers!

IMG_2970.jpg
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, SIP, L'Artisan, Misc Vintage Frags
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...-Vintage-Frags