Code of Conduct

Default Ambrox / Ambroxan

From the Note Identification Project Thread:

Ambrox DL - 2% dilution in ethanol: a rather strong smell of something that seems familiari but which I cannot place, something marine but mineral and dry, like hot sand. It becomes slightly powdery in the drydown. To my nose, it does not smell like ambergris and is not even reminiscent of it (nor does it smell anywhere near resin-based amber, BTW). Note: Described by industry as animalic amber.

Ambroxan: this one i liked immensely. it is ambery with very soft mellow notes and a hint of wood and even frankincense(?). i think i could wear just that and be happy with this scent.

Ambroxan: clean, woody, ambery (?) musk. I like this one too!

Ambroxan – Not technically a musk, I think. Sweet, floral, ambery, animalic. I like this base.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th July 2009 at 04:04 AM.

Default Re: Ambrox / Ambroxan

Tried Molecule 02 today: very faint, pleasantly fruity and sweet on paper strip; immensely powerful and stinky on skin, absolutely terrible.

Where do you get pure ambroxan? Is it from ambergris or is it synthetic?

Ambroxan in crystalline form can be bought from perfumersapprentice.com fairly inexpensively (.5oz for $16) it's easy to dissolve into perfumers alcohol. My dillution doesn't seem nearly as pleasant as Escentric Molecule's "molecule 02" But I do not know the dillution they used. My dillution is faint and I am more able to smell it after its dry down. Definitely a synthetic scent. But it's beautiful nonetheless!

Ambroxan is a synthetic material which is made from a chemical found in Clary Sage called Sclariol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    Where do you get pure ambroxan? Is it from ambergris or is it synthetic?
    to my understanding ambroxan is what perfumers use today instead of ambergris (not used anymore), as its synthetic version

Juliett has a gun Not a perfume is 100% ambroxan.....and to my nose this is so dull , i can smell it but i dont like it, and would compare it to modern art where they sell nice white screen with black dot on

As I wrote last July, Ambroxan is a synthetic material made from Sclariol. It is a strange material in that a solution of it smells stronger than the concentrate. Indeed, some people have difficulty smelling it at all. Those that can, appreciate its subtlety, and its warmth. For a single chemical (albeit with many isomers) it is one of the most complex smells around.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    It is a strange material in that a solution of it smells stronger than the concentrate.
    Curious as to why that would be the case.

I have noticed with a few materials that a solution smells stronger than the concentrate. Ambroxan, Karanal, even Vanillin do this for me. When I first smelled Karanal, at a BSP one day symposium we were told by the presenter than about 40.0% of the population could not smell it. I was one of that 40.0%, whilst others in the room were recoiling from their smelling strips. It was only whenI smelled Karanal at a ery, very low dilution that I could smell it at all. We were testing the performance of various aroma chemicals in Fabric Conditioner. We used the aroma chemical at 0.2% in the FC base, and tested it for strength and retentivity:- out of the jar, on wet cloth (i.e cloth that had been rinsed in the FC), on dry cloth after 24 hours, and after a week. I could smell nothing out of the jar and on wet cloth. After 24 hours I could smell Karanal, and it seemed to get stronger as time went by. I can only guess that some materials are so strong they flood our receptors and overwhelm them. If only a few molecules, stimulate a few receptors then we have a chance to detect that material.