Code of Conduct

Default Tam Dao: A synthetic beast

Anyone else feel this is just *too* synthetic? I don't mind synthetics in scents.. but this is just.. ugh. I can taste it. I've been able to taste it since I put it on.

Oddly, I don't know if it's just bad luck, a change in my perception or just a chemical in the last couple scents I've worn but Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle came across as just horribly synthetic while wearing it yesterday. It too, I could taste.

Anyone else get this with Tam Dao? I love the idea. I love the basic structure of the scent (and i need an ultra-woody scent for my 'drobe), but it smells a bit of gasoline and I can taste it with every breath.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd July 2009 at 08:19 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Tam Dao: A synthetic beast

I find the accords Tam Dao projects to be very natural.

My dad is an old-style cabinet maker, the kind that can create a queen Anne chair by hand. I spent many childhood summers helping him out in his workshop, working with the fine timbers he used.

The only fragrance that comes close to replicating the smell of these fine woods is Tam Dao, so I'm baffled that people remark on it smelling synthetic. If you've ever smelled rosewood or cedar while working on it I'm sure you'd know...
    Last edited by jathanas; 3rd July 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Well, it's not that I don't smell a natural wood accord - it's that in addition to that I'm getting this nasty synthetic vibe. It's like if you cooked a steak on a grill where somebody burned a styrofoam plate. You'd still have the wonderful taste of steak but it's ruined by the disgusting taste of burned plastic (I only mention that as an example because it actually happened to me once at a restaurant )
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd July 2009 at 08:41 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, it's not that I don't smell a natural wood accord - it's that in addition to that I'm getting this nasty synthetic vibe.
    This is precisely my take on it. The sandalwood itself is very good, but there's something sharply synthetic added that ruins it. It's a shame, it would be a fantastic fragrance if they gave us just the sandalwood, or at least blended it with something less discordant.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

You're certainly not the only one who gets a gasoline note - look it up in the directory and you'll see it mentioned in a few reviews. I did get it the first time I tried TD, too - and I hated it. Somehow it came to be less prominent later on, but I still feel it depends on the day/humidity/my own perception what it is that I smell from application to application. It ranges from sharp cedary incense to pine (pine with gasoline-y undertones, indeed) or the smooth sandalwood/rosewood I prefer.
    I guess I've come to appreciate it as part of the package - it doesn't bother me any longer.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Tam Dao. Before I tried it I thought I love all sandalwood scents, but TD proved me wrong. It just made me queasy.

My friend has a small fan that has been made out of sandalwood, I love the smell and have met smell-a-likes every now and then in various fragrances but Tam Dao isn't among them.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Synchronicity - I just put some on half an hour ago to give it another shot. It doesn't offend me - seems a friendly enough rendition of Sandalwood and I'm not getting anything synthetic BUT I set the benchmark pretty low with any Sandalwood these days (including Santal Noble and both the Villoresi and Etro Sandalos) because none of them smell particularly like the Sandalwood I used to wear in the 70s. I think they are all struggling to find a way to get the original Mysore vibe with a mix of chemicals and the Australian and other Pacific varieties. Tam Dao actually seems okay this time round to me - I just laughed the first time I tried it a few months ago.

I love Tam Dao, from the sharp,"gasoline" start to the dry down. I´m feel so comfortable with it. But synthetic ...,no, not to me. I have yet to experience one scent from Diptyque that smells synthetic to my nose.
    Last edited by eric; 3rd July 2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: dyptique instead of diptique....sigh

It doesn't smell synthetic to me.

From the things I have read, they use sandalwood from Goa, not Mysore. Not sure how one would characterize the differences of these sandalwood varieties. Goa and Mysore are not too far apart geographically from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I love Tam Dao, from the sharp,"gasoline" start to the dry down. I´m feel so comfortable with it. But synthetic ...,no, not to me. I have yet to experience one scent from Diptyque that smells synthetic to my nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It doesn't smell synthetic to me.

From the things I have read, they use sandalwood from Goa, not Mysore. Not sure how one would characterize the differences of these sandalwood varieties. Goa and Mysore are not too far apart geographically from what I understand.

same here, nothin about Tam Dao interferes with my enjoyment of the scent and makes me think of the synthetic elements.... it's smell and feel keeps me engaged thruout. gem of a release from the house of Diptyque..

scentsitivity: Goa and Mysore are some 350 miles apart and have very different type of enviroment. it's based around hills ..whereas Goa has one of the largest coast thereby, lot of beaches and creeks. Im not really aware of the difference between Goan and Mysore sandalwood coz i havent hunted out specifically for one and i don't really trust what vendors say about their source of sandalwood....so, if it is the sandalwood from Goa then Great ! we have a winner!

AromiErotici

I've tried a sample of Tam Dao and I didn't love it or hate it. It's one of those frags that I found myself indifferent to after wearing it. I wanted to like it, but after a few wearings, I'm not convinced.

I don't care for synthetic dominant aromas and luckily I didn't get that from TD, but again, I only had a sample vial and it could smell differently to me if I applied the amount I normally use from a sprayer.

It's interesting this thread has just come about as, a couple of days ago, I was thinking about this house.

I came to the conclusion that there is something, in most (if not all) of Diptyque’s creations, that annoy my nose after a while – Philosykos, Oyedo, Tam Dao... I can no longer see myself enjoying even a 50ml bottle of any of these without getting bored of them after a while. I think my nose has either picked up on their house note (whatever that is) or has now detected something synthetic within their compositions.

This house no longer interests me…

I have had very little luck with Diptyque as a house, and I am one of those that gets "gasoline and hamster cage" with Tam Dao. I really don't see this as a wearable fragrance, unfortunately.

I don't dislike synthetic in general--I just dislike poor usage in a fragrance.

AromiErotici

I own Eau Lente and like it for winter wearings. A strong frag and luckily for me, it has nothing synthetically persistent in it to annoy me.

I did a complete 180 on Tam Dao. To me it smells pretty synthetic -- almost overbearing even when not oversprayed. My initial excitement has long faded away.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I did a complete 180 on Tam Dao. To me it smells pretty synthetic -- almost overbearing even when not oversprayed. My initial excitement has long faded away.
    I wonder if they changed the formula very subtly ?

Basenotes Institution

I love the smell of gasoline.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I wonder if they changed the formula very subtly ?
    I've noticed my dislike for their fragrances more in Philosykos than the others - there are times when it smells okay but, most of the time, I can't stand smelling it. It just comes across as sooo false to my nose now.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    And I love the smell of permanent markers...

AromiErotici

I am fortunate to never having run into a frag that smells like the old time shoe repair shops. As a kid in the 60's, you had to pull me out of those places and I use to have cleats put on my shoes just for an excuse to go in there and smell the repair glue.

I only wore two sprays from a small sample - these were definitely smaller sprays than most full size bottles put out. I can still smell it clearly 10 hours later. I can't complain about longevity!

After about 4 hours or so I could no longer taste it and it became bearable, but sadly I can't say I enjoyed it at all.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

AromiErotici

I only wore two sprays from a small sample - these were definitely smaller sprays than most full size bottles put out. I can still smell it clearly 10 hours later. I can't complain about longevity!

After about 4 hours or so I could no longer taste it and it became bearable, but sadly I can't say I enjoyed it at all.
    I understand your problem with whatever chemical ingredient is doing this. I've had bad experiences with other frags for the same reason, but just not Tam Dao.

Longevity is good with Tam Dao but the projection is zero.
    I have to dig my nose into the spot where I sprayed it to smell it.
    Yeah it does exist after long hours but does not project at all.
    Perhaps that's why most of us consider it to to have poor longevity.

Does that longevity seem abnormal? I've heard many people say it doesn't seem to have very good longevity. I mean, after 10 hours.. closer to 11 actually, I could still smell it clearly and I wasn't particularly warm or active.

I'm going to sample it again because I've "adjusted" to frags in the past that originally troubled me in some way (Prada Amber PH used to make me feel a bit drunken and disoriented ). If I could get over that synthetic/gasoline vibe, I'd really like this scent. I like what I smell underneath the synthetic part more than hinoki and more than my current go-to woody scent, Original Aoud.

I noticed that I could still smell a bit of Lys Mediterranee from the day before in the crook of my elbow, so it is possible that it was still lingering on my chest and interfering with Tam Dao and/or contributing to the synthetic vibe.

It seems I may have become quite sensitive to chemicals again. I've always had a sensitive nose (eg: no problems picking up AdP Colonia after 8 hours), but only a few times have I really shown this kind of sensitivity and been able to taste frags (and they do NOT taste good ).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Longevity is good with Tam Dao but the projection is zero.
    I have to dig my nose into the spot where I sprayed it to smell it.
    Yeah it does exist after long hours but does not project at all.
    Perhaps that's why most of us consider it to to have poor longevity.
    I had sprayed one shot to my abs and one to my lower sternum and could smell it clearly at any time, just sitting here at my desk. I get good longevity of most everything but not usually much projection after 6-8 hours. At least not with niches (the "cheap musk" bases of most designers [and I suppose more and more niche scents] seem to last and project forever on me).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd July 2009 at 04:50 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It has now survived a rather sweaty workout and a shower. Leave me aloooone Tam Dao!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I find the accords Tam Dao projects to be very natural.
    Me too.

I found it natural smelling.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This is very interesting... I guess I belong to the camp who have trouble with Tam Dao. I don't think it smells synthetic in a common sense, I wouldn't put it this way, no. But there is something in it, some invisible offender, that just spoils it for me. Could it be some kind of aromachemical that some folks have no problems with, while others are hypersensitive to?

By the way, I do get a lot of a 'white musk' note from Tam Dao. I don't think this is the offending component because I like it in many other scents. But to me, the musk is probably even more prominent than the sandalwood here, I can smell it for hours.

Just got to try it for the first time today. Too much Cedar. Where's the Sandalwood? Beautiful in it's simplicity though.

I've heard many people say it doesn't seem to have very good longevity. I mean, after 10 hours.. closer to 11 actually, I could still smell it clearly and I wasn't particularly warm or active.
    I would suggest that you try Tam Dao on another day and see if it lasts just as long on that day...Fragrances are freak creatures...I know there are days when a really meek fragrance lasts a long time on me...

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Too much Cedar. Where's the Sandalwood?
    So true...That's exactly what I think about it...I wouldn't call Tam Dao an ultimate sandalwood fragrance as most people claim it to be...

I LOVE my Tam Dao. Trust me, I am very easily offended by what I consider synthetic notes and there is nothing synthetic or gasoline like in Tam Dao to my nose.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I LOVE my Tam Dao. Trust me, I am very easily offended by what I consider synthetic notes and there is nothing synthetic or gasoline like in Tam Dao to my nose.

TJ
    agreed
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?