Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration

Just snagged a bottle of this for a really low price. I have never tried nor smelled this frag and it will undoubtedly go into the war chest.

I have sampled original worth pour homme in the mini bottle, so can I expect a slightly stronger variance or is it noticeably different from its namesake?

Default Re: Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration

I picked off a bottle on ebay last year thinking that it would be the steroidal version of little brother. Ach! It's a harsh melange of things like fried eel and that sack of onions you misplaced under the sink last spring. It's quite possible my bottle was used to prop open a window in a dank basement apothecary and was exposed to the sun and the wind and the rain for a few years. Oh, and the occasional rivulet of wino urine, too. It's not on my sale list and I wouldn't even stick it in a sale box as an extra. At least it was cheap.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    I picked off a bottle on ebay last year thinking that it would be the steroidal version of little brother. Ach! It's a harsh melange of things like fried eel and that sack of onions you misplaced under the sink last spring. It's quite possible my bottle was used to prop open a window in a dank basement apothecary and was exposed to the sun and the wind and the rain for a few years. Oh, and the occasional rivulet of wino urine, too. It's not on my sale list and I wouldn't even stick it in a sale box as an extra. At least it was cheap.
    Maybe I can layer it with Haschish Homme and cause a casualty or two.......

I hope mine was just old and off. Even the bottle itself looked a little dodgy and has a kind of oily sheen to it that doesn't look quite right with the gold toned glass. I like Worth, not a great one but certainly a good one to list with the other hairy chested powerhoues and have to imagine a concentre' to be a good thing for worn out noses like ours. Hope yours arrives in better shape.

AromiErotici

I am ( at times ) a complete idiot. I was digging through the war chest looking for my mini of Worth PH and what do I find? Yep..... a mini of Haute concentration that I forgot I had and never tried.

At any rate, I sampled it and it's not too shabby. Clinical opening with lavender and rosemary with piney woods and florals right on its tail. Amber,cedar, leather and moss in the base.

This is a fougere from the powerhouse days all right. It's actually a clean scent, albeit a strong one. Like members have stated; it is similar to Paco, but a smoother ride.

My apologies for posting this thread when I had a mini of this the whole time. My bad....

No need to apologize. Now we all have some idea what it smells like (and from your description, it smells a lot like the most recent formulation of Worth PH I had a couple of years ago.).

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    No need to apologize. Now we all have some idea what it smells like (and from your description, it smells a lot like the most recent formulation of Worth PH I had a couple of years ago.).
    I am unskilled pertaining to WPH reformulations. I "believe" the mini in question is vintage because it came in the paisley box, but I may be mistaken.

The bottle I referred to that I just picked up for a cheap price ( more than likely) is a reformulation. The box shown with the bottle isn't the paisley box. It's almost like the packaging for Carven Homme with the see-through plastic face on the box.

Last edited by AromiErotici; 4th July 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Last edited by Bartlebooth; 4th July 2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: No longer relevant

I have been wearing Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration (Paisley Box) since 1989 and it is truly an extraordinary fragrance! Rich, invigorating, fresh and very masculine. It has a base of amber, leather, musk, and oak moss like many of the 80's scents, with Juniper Berry and Vetiver in the top and middle notes. Paco is out-dated and out-classed by this masterpiece!
    The original Worth Pour Homme eau de toilette (Green Bottle) is not bad, either, but can't compete with the haute concentration. The current reformulation (Plain blue Box) is absolute rubbish. It smells like a cheaper version of Paco with more alcohol and less originality.
    The bottle picture above in the gold box is the first version of the reformulation and also smells like garbage. When I contacted Worth Paris in 2001, they said that a Brittish company had started making it and updated the fragrance to comply with industry standards - that's fragrance biz' code for cheaper ingredients and more alcohol! These guys are almost as bad as Bernini!

Miles welcome to Basenotes ,,
    A blazing entry into the forums .
    You have piqued my love for this sleeper even more now !
    I have been using the current reformulated version for some years now & i like it ....
    Would you be able to post a pic of your Paisley Box & bottle version ?
    Aromi ... the one you mentioned Garbage or not is a must try for me now
    cheers
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 16th July 2009 at 09:11 AM.

AromiErotici

I can only assume garbage is in the nose of the beholder.

Greetings, gentlemen.
    Forgive the delayed response.
    I will post photos soon of the original cologne (green box) and the amazing haute concentration (red and blue paisley box). As the other member pointed out, rubbish is in the nose of the beholder - absolutely true. My own strong opinion is that the new juice is far inferior to the original haute concentration of the 80's. This is, however, my opinion.

Wink Re: Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration

This is my first attempt at including a photo of my beloved Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration.
    Hopefully it will be easliy visible - if not, feel free to advise on how to do it properly.

Cheers,
    Miles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Perlich View Post
    I...It has a base of amber, leather, musk, and oak moss like many of the 80's scents, with Juniper Berry and Vetiver in the top and middle notes. ...
    The original Worth Pour Homme eau de toilette (Green Bottle) is not bad, either, but can't compete with the haute concentration. ...
    This is all very interesting. By accident, I acquired Worth pour Homme HC SOAP. It was an accident because the online distributor listed it simply as Worth pour Homme soap. I like the EDT and wanted a matching soap. But this is so interesting that I kept it. I didn't realize that there were all these reformulation of the HC version, or that it was still somewhat available. Definitely the soap is vintage, it has that leathery, mossy scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Has anyone purchased a Worth (EDT or HC) lately and can you suggest where it might be available?

I just bought a bottle of what I believe is the new formulation (blue box, clear bottle). I think it's fabulous. I never smelled the original, which everyone says was a powerhouse, so I have to assume this new version is really watered down, in terms of intensity.

That being said, the new version is a very leathery fougere. Ultra smooth and very subtle and discreet. It's a very manly traditional gentleman's cologne, definitely not a powerhouse. The sillage is very close to the skin, barely detectable on yourself, but it does last a good 8 to 10 hours. It's just very discreet, and a bonafide classic. If you haven't worn the original, I'd highly recommend this (I'm actually wearing it today). Cheap too, though it doesn't smell cheap.

vonMises,

You can buy Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration at Fragrancenet.com, this is where I bought mine. I am anxiously awaiting my purchase! I have read a lot of reviews and postings on here and from what I gathered, the Haute Concentration seems to be the more preferred version because the newer reformulation seems to have lost it's original character.
    I can't wait to receive mine!
    I hope this helps some?

I just wanted to bump this since I found a bottle from years ago that I had forgotten about. It is indeed a very subtle and discreet leathery fougere. I get vibes of Azzaro, Tuscany, and the original Aramis all in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Worth1969 View Post
    This is my first attempt at including a photo of my beloved Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration.
    Hopefully it will be easliy visible - if not, feel free to advise on how to do it properly.

Cheers,
    Miles
    I have the same version and I pretty much like it.
    Good longevity on my skin.

I recently got a bottle of the Haute Concentration too. I definitely like it, but I think the regular Worth Pour Homme (current version) is a far better fragrance. Not as strong as HC, but I don't care. It has an elegance to it that's completely lacking in the Haute Concentration version. HC is like a leather sledgehammer.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Smile Re: Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration

Leather sledgehammer? Absolutely!
    That's why I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by pirop View Post
    Leather sledgehammer? Absolutely!
    That's why I like it.
    I agree. That's why I like it too! When I want a leather sledgehammer, it's going to be between Worth PH HC and Trussardi Uomo from now on.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

fountain

i only own worth pour homme, and, imo, it's excellent.

Hello Gents,

I got the blue and red paisley box packaging of the Haute Concentration (same as Worth1969's photo) and this is another winner for me. I love fragrances with that honeyed, civet and tart accord running through it and this has it by the bucket load. The opening is indeed strong then it evolves into the sweet/dirty notes. I'm 30 mins into the fragrance and it's a real joy for me. It reminds me a little of Tenere actually.

Best wishes,

K
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it's closer to Azzaro Pour Homme than Tenere, which has strong honey.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Ach! It's a harsh melange of things like fried eel and that sack of onions you misplaced under the sink last spring.
    Aptly expressed.

AromiErotici

Agreed. This rendition is no where near as good as the one in the paisley box.......and I don't even wear that one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aptly expressed.
    Really? I'm thinking that Noirwest had to have had a bad bottle. This stuff is great!

Beauty is in the nose of the smeller I suppose!

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Aptly expressed.
    + 1

Basenotes Plus

Not similar to Vintage Paco Rabanne Pour Homme...I disagree. This is a heavy slap-in-the-face of moss, leather and patchouli with medicinal lavender (in the top) along with fresh-cut rosemary! There is nothing subtle about it...until it calms down on the skin and then is a soapy (I would even say a lather) of heavy moss, warm musk and leather (and more leather!) with some subtle floral and green notes. But, the harsh top is nothing like the eloquent and gorgeous green notes that Paco Rabanne gives you - and there is no amber/tonka on the dry down. Original Vintage Paco Rabanne could not be compared to this. It is a world apart. I like Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration (my review is under Worth Pour Homme on this site), but PRph is the King of all scents.
    Last edited by ericrico; 15th May 2012 at 04:38 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Hello Gents,

I got the blue and red paisley box packaging of the Haute Concentration (same as Worth1969's photo) and this is another winner for me. I love fragrances with that honeyed, civet and tart accord running through it and this has it by the bucket load. The opening is indeed strong then it evolves into the sweet/dirty notes. I'm 30 mins into the fragrance and it's a real joy for me. It reminds me a little of Tenere actually.

Best wishes,

K
    It smells nothing like Tenere actually! I just read my old post and rolled my eyes! I love the huge amount of oakmoss in this and I wear this when I'm going in to a difficult meeting and need some alpha male grunt!!!!

Basenotes Plus

I agree koala501 -

Wearing this now - I think it evokes the olfactory sense of wearing a dark leather jacket with its pockets absolutely stuffed with oakmoss and that has been soaked in lavender soap...suds flowing down the jacket with bits of moss in it. The jacket runneth over!!! That is as genuine as I can be. My "pair" has dropped down a few inches and I grin when this gets to the dry down and my eyes have stopped tearing and my nose has stopped running from the first 30 minutes or so. I have counted and, officially, have sprouted over 40 new thick chest hairs since application!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    It smells nothing like Tenere actually! I just read my old post and rolled my eyes! I love the huge amount of oakmoss in this and I wear this when I'm going in to a difficult meeting and need some alpha male grunt!!!!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Basenotes Plus

It's good - actually, I like it a lot! Leathery, tons of oakmoss and lavender soap all lathered up!!!!

But, no...sorry, Vintage Paco Rabanne runs circles around it. Fun to wear - macho and will put hair on your chest, but not nearly as refined as Paco.

I have the Paisley Box version (which is the only one to buy) and give it a solid 8/10 - I am a lover of Vintage Aromatic Fougeres, Powerhouses, and Chypres from the 1970's and 80's!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Worth1969 View Post
    I have been wearing Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration (Paisley Box) since 1989 and it is truly an extraordinary fragrance! Rich, invigorating, fresh and very masculine. It has a base of amber, leather, musk, and oak moss like many of the 80's scents, with Juniper Berry and Vetiver in the top and middle notes. Paco is out-dated and out-classed by this masterpiece!
    The original Worth Pour Homme eau de toilette (Green Bottle) is not bad, either, but can't compete with the haute concentration. The current reformulation (Plain blue Box) is absolute rubbish. It smells like a cheaper version of Paco with more alcohol and less originality.
    The bottle picture above in the gold box is the first version of the reformulation and also smells like garbage. When I contacted Worth Paris in 2001, they said that a Brittish company had started making it and updated the fragrance to comply with industry standards - that's fragrance biz' code for cheaper ingredients and more alcohol! These guys are almost as bad as Bernini!

The fragrantica.com notes seem accurate to me: "Top notes are rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, lavender, mandarin orange, petit grain and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, green notes, , brazilian rosewood, pine tree needles and geranium; base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, oakmoss, balsam fir, vetiver and cedar."

WPHHC is more complex than Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, but I can see why some view it as less refined, especially once PRPH dries down. For me, WPHHC have a spicy tonka/amber aspect that is missing from PRPH (which has honey), but it doesn't has an animalic quality, as PRPH does. That is the major difference, other than the obvious leather note in WPHHC. My vintage PRPH may be missing some top notes, though (when I sampled the newest version the top notes were super strong, which is not at all what the vintage I have is like).

Basenotes Plus

Hey Bigsly -

I don't get a lot "true citrus" like mandarin orange, petit grain and bergamot - more like citric acid on the top with some harsh cinnamon (not warm, HOT)...which probably is part of the reason why this is sooooo sharp and spicy upon blast-off! The slap-in-the-face we all get - nothing refreshing at all, even the rosemary is a little harsh and very pungent. Some light florals, but only lavender is distinct (carnation is there, but you have to try to pull it out). In the base - leather, moss, fir, a light vetiver and cedar. It took almost 5 hours for the final dry down for me to get the tonka bean/amber sweetness with still the leather and warm moss. It's a very fun fragrance which I recommend for anyone to try (remember, I gave it a Thumbs Up with a solid 8/10) who wants something that is a powerhouse fougere - but, IMHO, not serious like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme...refined, harmonious and so beautiful and refreshing from top to bottom. And, yes, you need to realize that some notes will be lost over time with old vintage bottles (especially splash bottles that sit for years). I counter that by using unused (brand new) vintage bottles or layering my vintage with reformulated bottles that give you the top notes and the middle and base notes come in strong with the vintage. I have several methods, including After shave, Original Vintage EDT, Newer Vintage EDT, & current formulation. How much green do you want? How much warmth and base notes do you want? When do you reapply to refresh the top? So many ways of thinking about this...it's about creating a blend of your taste for the day, mood, weather, etc.

Here is the note pyramid for Paco Rabanne Pour Homme:
    Top Notes
    Rosemary, Clary Sage, Rosewood, Laurel, Spicy Tarragon

Middle Notes
    Lavender, Geranium, Pine, Clove

Base Notes
    Oakmoss, Honeyed Tobacco, Tonka Bean, Musk, Amber, Cistus, Lentisk

While they share similarities, it's all in the composition and how the ingredients blend together. I actually applied current formulation over the top of the WPHHC after 6-7 hours (with the tonka bean/amber/leather/moss just sitting nicely on the skin). The effect was great. The Paco gives you great top notes and the drydown has been FAR better with the WPHHC still on me. I thought I would see, since this thread came up earlier and then now again. The base of WPHHC is so nice (truly the best part as the blast in the start is rough) - so why not apply some nice refreshing green notes later with some fresh, smooth lavender from the current Paco that needs some bottom end to complete it? It's what I do with Vintage Paco EDT usually - this is just a fun experiment that sits well on my skin as I type this. Give it a go and let me know what you think. Cheers! I always like your posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The fragrantica.com notes seem accurate to me: "Top notes are rosemary, nutmeg, cinnamon, lavender, mandarin orange, petit grain and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, green notes, , brazilian rosewood, pine tree needles and geranium; base notes are leather, tonka bean, amber, musk, oakmoss, balsam fir, vetiver and cedar."

WPHHC is more complex than Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, but I can see why some view it as less refined, especially once PRPH dries down. For me, WPHHC have a spicy tonka/amber aspect that is missing from PRPH (which has honey), but it doesn't has an animalic quality, as PRPH does. That is the major difference, other than the obvious leather note in WPHHC. My vintage PRPH may be missing some top notes, though (when I sampled the newest version the top notes were super strong, which is not at all what the vintage I have is like).
    Last edited by ericrico; 24th December 2012 at 07:09 AM.

Basenotes Plus

duplicate post
    Last edited by ericrico; 16th July 2012 at 04:08 PM.

I'm not sure what you would like me to do. I don't have new Paco, and I avoid top notes as much as possible, so I think we are looking for different things when we wear frags. I find the Worth to be complex enough, and would not want to add anything to it (I even find Paco to be complex enough to enjoy for hours). I fear that I might make myself sick and then not be able to wear the frag (or similar ones) for a long time. I did try layering but nothing seemed to be good, and now I've got a bunch of vials from my "experiments" lying around (they were direct combining). LOL. I've got so many frags I'm still trying to figure out that I just gave up with layering. If I ever get bored, though, I will likely try some sort of experiment combining frags.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Bigsly -

Well, actually I'm not advocating layer WPHHC with Paco Rabanne in a straight-up, simultaneous approach. I believe that all fragrances, when applied have a life of their own - with a multitude of factors evoking olfactory notes...mood, attire, location, weather, time of day, occassion, and many more. I'm suggesting that you, or if anyone is interested, find complimentary scents that you can reapply later in the day and utilize what is there from before. I'm not a believer in mixing scents just for the sake of it. There should by rhyme and reason...I thought you may have new Paco (or you could get some) and see if it could go harmoniously with your vintage (which has lost some or most of its top notes - which I have a bottle that is the case with). I actually love the moss, amber, musk, tonka and honey - but I need green to feel the full Paco Rabanne pallate. But, since you avoid top notes, I can understand why Worth PH Haute Concentration is so appealing to you - the middle and base notes last for hours and are really warm and deep. Great stuff for the price!!!

Funny how you have a bunch of vials of "experiments" - LOL! I am more of a purist - but like to find things that will work together with my skin chemistry and have complimentary notes. At this point, I recommend we all just enjoy the Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration and get more of that magical little paisley box with a spray (do not get splashes in non-paisley boxes - different and bad juice from what I have heard from everywhere).

By the way, to change the thread - have you tried or own Charles Jourdan Un Homme? I'm getting some...awesome vintage leathery fougere!!

I found the new Paco a bit offensive, actually, and wouldn't wear it - way too harsh. Vintage frags seem to soften up beyond the top notes, whereas new frags or reformulations never seem to be able to attain that, other than amber "syrup" type frags, which I dislike because they are too sweet. Never tried that Jourdan, though I have The Parfum, which is quite interesting due to great note contrast. Leathers are okay but I have so many now, including some The Knize Ten, that I'm in no rush to get more. Basically, when I come across a vintage bargain I usually can't resist, but otherwise, I'm not in "buying mode" now.

Basenotes Plus

I have not tried the newest formulation of Paco (with the large double-printed "Pr" on the bottle that is oversized). I have heard that one is very sharp with virtually no base notes...that is too bad. I have a reformulation with the smaller white "Pr" in a 100ml spray. Not bad, but definitely lacking the Original Vintage and New Vintage depth and longevity. I agree with your comment that vintage frags soften up beyond the top notes...it's a shame that the fragrance industry (except for niche houses, which I am getting into more and more) doesn't care. I am, unlike you, in serious "buying mode" right now as there seems to be a very limited number of bottles of the great classics around from the vintage era. I am also seeking bottles much like what started this whole thread, Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration, that blast you back to the 80's and give you something so different from the watered-down, mass-marketed junk that is being sold in droves to the 15-30 age group. Let them have that synthetic, generic stuff...it's good talking to someone who knows their stuff. I will take a look at your links over the weekend when I'm free. Cheers - have a great weekend.
    Last edited by ericrico; 24th December 2012 at 07:11 AM.

There are a bunch of vintage ones that I consider really high quality. For example, Listen for Men eventually ends up where Kyoto does, and yet nobody seems to have any interest in it. Yes, I can see why many would just rather get niche samples, but after getting a few great vintage deals, it became somewhat "addictive." I just wish more people would compare niche to vintage that is still available and reasonably priced (at least if you have patience for ebay deals). Aside from Listen and WPHHC, I would add:

Horizon (recently at Dollar Tree)
    Montana Parfum d'Homme
    Lagerfeld Colgone (not Classic)
    Boss #1 (if there was a reformulation, it doesn't seem significant)
    Witness
    Quorum (be sure not to get reformulated bottles)
    Pheromone for Men by Miglin (if you like chypres)
    Bijan for Men (avoid 5 Star ones, unless you want heavy amber and lavender but no incense/sandalwood note worth noting)

of course if you get really lucky you may snag something like Made in France Ungaro III for a reasonable price too.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th January 2012 at 06:30 AM.

Somehow the above got double posted.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th January 2012 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    ...have you tried or own Charles Jourdan Un Homme? I'm getting some...awesome vintage leathery fougere!!
    I agree. I love this stuff! I just discovered it last year and consider it one of the most neglected and underrated '80s frags. I've mentioned it here and there in threads but it never seemed to gain much traction. Definitely worth seeking out.

Basenotes Plus

Truly great stuff -

I shared a small "Lot of 3" purchase with Dimitrios. Charles Jourdan un Homme is seriously good stuff. Outstanding leathery fougere that opens with a nice artemesia/anise/absinthe accord with some nice sharpness - but it warms up quickly. It's like walking out into the cold air on a winter night - it blasts your face...and then you grab your open leather jacket and cinch it up (either zipper or button) until your face is right in the leather. This stuff is totally under-the-radar.

I have a 3rd bottle (perfect & sealed), if interested. They simply don't make them like this anymore - I can say that it captures a mood, time & sense of masculinity that NO modern frags can emulate.

Cheers,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I agree. I love this stuff! I just discovered it last year and consider it one of the most neglected and underrated '80s frags. I've mentioned it here and there in threads but it never seemed to gain much traction. Definitely worth seeking out.