Code of Conduct

Thread: Peppermint

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peppermint

From the Note Identification Project thread:

Peppermint (EO, Aura Cacia, Mentha piperita origin USA)--3 drops on cotton, wafted
    Cool, refreshing and mellow mint, very recognizable as the same aroma/flavor that is used for confections and household products. Below the coolness is a sort of modestly sweet, woody/herbal scent that softens the sharpness of the "cooling" component. After dry down, still cool and more sweet. The mintyness is turning, and seems a bit more pee-like at this point.

Default Re: Peppermint

Peppermint essential oil, Holland & Barrett: Pungently sharp and peppery, very much in the style of Vicks VapoRub or Tiger Balm, but immediately recognisable. It then dies down considerably, emitting a more sedate mentholated aura. Clean, cool and invigorating, possessing sweet and woody undertones.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to add to the descriptions above of the scent, which are great.

What I did want to add is to note an odd property of peppermint essential oil, that I've observed with a few other oils, but never so obvious and striking as with peppermint: when you dilute the essential oil in ethanol it is immediately very cloudy. I've experimented with this in various dilutions and with oils from different sources, with ethanol containing different denaturants and always seen the effect.

Now that isn't so surprising in itself but if you leave it for a few days it goes clear: again this seems to happen consistently. In a week or so it will be completely clear, like pure water.

I'd be fascinated to know what is going on in terms of the chemistry if anyone knows. Meanwhile I thought this might be helpful to anyone using it for the first time.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Nothing to add to the descriptions above of the scent, which are great.

What I did want to add is to note an odd property of peppermint essential oil, that I've observed with a few other oils, but never so obvious and striking as with peppermint: when you dilute the essential oil in ethanol it is immediately very cloudy. I've experimented with this in various dilutions and with oils from different sources, with ethanol containing different denaturants and always seen the effect.

Now that isn't so surprising in itself but if you leave it for a few days it goes clear: again this seems to happen consistently. In a week or so it will be completely clear, like pure water.

I'd be fascinated to know what is going on in terms of the chemistry if anyone knows. Meanwhile I thought this might be helpful to anyone using it for the first time.
    Were you ever able to find out why it becomes clear after time? Interesting.