Code of Conduct

Thread: Spruce

Default Spruce

Compiled from the Note Identification Project thread:

Spruce, origin unknown - I love this. Best evergreen scent in the world. Better than pine. Even better than fir. I could soak in a bathtub full of this. In fact, that is where I first smelled spruce oil. When I was a child, a department store in town sold big bottles of green liquid bath soap. They don't make it anymore, of course. We used to take bubble baths in it, in the old bathtub that my grandmother used to have, a huge, white enameled cast iron monster with clawed feet. It was heavenly, filling the room with the scent of a mountain forest. It was supposedly pine, but try as I might, I could never again find a pine fragrance of any kind (in any product) that rivalled it. All my adult life, I have looked for that scent. Guess what? Your spruce essential oil was it. SPRUCE. God, it's wonderful.

Spruce – absolutely wonderful smells just like a wonderful forest or perhaps a Christmas tree.
    Last edited by Asha; 4th July 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Default Re: Spruce

The notes by Asha (above) sound wonderful! I must get some good spruce oil. Today's report is on an obviously inferior product. The Body Shop "Black (Colorado) Spruce" home fragrance oil.
    I did the usual method of 5 drops oil in 50 ml water, heated in a simmering potpourri. The scent was so faint that after I while I added several drops into the pool. Slightly more scent. Then I added several more drops. Slightly more scent.
    A lemony-sweet scent, at times vaguely like pine but more often like green (under-ripe) cantaloupe.
    The search continues...
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Ody, try Aura Cacia for Spruce essential oil. I think my original sample was from Frontier, a brand name that was dropped when Frontier absorbed Aura Cacia. I can't say it would be exactly the same as the sample I sent in my kit, but it should be closer to what you are looking for.

I used it often in the steam bath--it rivals Fir as one of my favorite evergreen scents for aromatherapy.

Thanks Asha, I'll check that out.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Very nice evergreen note. As expected though, it's very short-lived in alcohol-based perfumes. A large amount is needed in perfume blends to achieve a nice evergreen effect (and even then, it's gone in a very short time). Almost as transient as lemon in blends.

I have some spruce essential oil that I got from Wholesale Supplies Plus, a soapmaking materials supplier. I don't think they have it anymore.

I like it quite well and it is very close to the Balsam Fir essential oil that I get from San Francisco Herb Co.

I have a soft spot for the Balsam Fir oil because I sold Christmas trees, mostly Balsam Firs, for almost ten seasons.

The spruce was a great substitute for the Balsam Fir.

Obviously I need to check these threads more often, this all sounds great.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossomspecial View Post
    The spruce was a great substitute for the Balsam Fir.
    I always wondered about that. Thanks for the info.