Code of Conduct

Default Calamus / Sweet Flag Root

Compiled from the Note Identification Project thread:

Calamus (EO, ATL Canada, Acorus calamus from India)--3 drops on cotton, wafted
    This one is difficult to describe. It is buttery, nutty, soft and sweet. It is from the same family as iris root/orris, so it has the same sweet, buttery quality, but it is not powdery. After several hours, the scent has not changed significantly, but it does smell less sweet/buttery and more nutty.

Calamus - one strange aroma, greasy, smells like the local soybean processing plant when they're cooking oil.

Calamus - I think Calamus is a love it/hate it scent. It is very much along the lines of orris, at least in my experience of the scent from live plants. I think calamus is one of those fixative-type notes that helps bring things together without being very detectable

Calamus – strange.odd not sure I would know how to use it.

Default Re: Calamus / Sweet Flag Root

Calamus EO is actually outright banned from sale in some countries. It's on of the International Fragrance Association's banned substances, as well, because there are some indications that it may have carcinogenic properties (beta-asarone). I did some research on this one a while back; can't find my notes, but I came away after much reading thinking that it was a tempest in a teacup, as the levels of the worrisome substance are quite low (though it is quite toxic if you take it internally, but a lot of things are, and not many people drink their essential oils ).

Apparently, the North American species of the plant is free of beta-asarone, but most EOs are made from the Asian or European sweet flag.
    Last edited by bonni; 18th September 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Default Re: Calamus / Sweet Flag Root

Quote Originally Posted by bonni View Post
    It's on of the International Fragrance Association's banned substances, as well, because there are some indications that it may have carcinogenic properties (beta-asarone).
    Apparently, the North American species of the plant is free of beta-asarone, but most EOs are made from the Asian or European sweet flag.
    Never knew that geographical varieties of a species could be so different in their properties.