Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte

I recently spotted many 100ml bottles of Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte on discount for USD 32 at a local department store. So do u think its worth a buy?

Default Re: Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte

Yes, thats a very reasonable price to pay. Be sure to grab a few!

No. It's shamefully short-lived. I wouldn't give any money for it.

32 $ is definitely a good price.

Sur la Plage

If you do, you should buy every bottle they have - since you will have to reapply it every 30 minutes due to its non-existent longevity.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Eau d'Orange Verte full price is about 102 usd :P

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Eau d'Orange Verte full price is about 102 usd :P
    102 usd? wow that's excessive...how much does the concentree version cost then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    No. It's shamefully short-lived. I wouldn't give any money for it.
    Ditto.
    Renato

The top notes are what people especially love here and they are short lived.

Beyond that, I have concerns about the shelf-life. The bottle I have is 70% empty, but the top notes have fizzled. So I have concerns about older bottles having vibrant top notes.

I am not replacing my current bottle. There are citrus alternatives that are equally satisfying with better longevity, even for traditional EdC formulations.

Absolutely wonderful Eau De Cologne with a lovely lingering subtle oakmoss base. The whole thing is a glourious study in bitter.

If you are worried about sustained sillage from the middle/base of a fragrance then Classic EDCs are not for you.

The reason it is reduced may be that another (final?) reformulation before the new regulations come into force has been done. There have been a couple over the last few years, I think. I believe they have reduced the oakmoss level in stages. Each time, a bunch of bargain priced bottles have appeared on the matet as the older stock was shifted out.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 4th July 2009 at 03:38 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    102 usd? wow that's excessive...how much does the concentree version cost then ?
    I paid full price for the concentré version, and am happy with it, but if the citrus top is what you are after, then you will only get a moderate increase in longevity, IMO. The base lasts on me for over 8 hours, but it is not the citrus topnotes - merely a fascinating coumarinic thing which extends something similar to the eau's drydown for much longer. Unlike the eau, it is not subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Absolutely wonderful Eau De Cologne with a lovely lingering subtle oakmoss base. The whole thing is a glourious study in bitter.

If you are worried about sustained sillage from the middle/base if a fragrance then Classic EDCs are not for you.
    Exactly. The apparent miracles of citrus and other volatiles lasting for significant lengths of time are generally successful illusions, rather than anything else. The more that chemical and physico-chemical trickery are avoided, the less likely that the illusion can be maintained.

Of the Hermès cologne trio, I find that the sharp/musky base of the Gentiane Blanche has the greatest longevity, but I'm very sensitive to it. Others note poor longevity with that one as well.

Joe is right - buy it up so you can spritz it on like a madman. And 30 minutes is generous. My test spray-spot is now into drydown after 15!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 4th July 2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: phsio = wtf

Basenotes Institution

Good buy - grab as much as you can afford!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

EDOV lasts a long time on me. Albeit, I splash it on good from my big bottle!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you do, you should buy every bottle they have - since you will have to reapply it every 30 minutes due to its non-existent longevity.
    I absolutely agree. It is an exquisite orange dominated fragrance on my skin for 30 minutes max. That is precisely why it can be acquired so inexpensively. The last time I was at Nordstrom, the SA was practically trying to throw this stuff at me. I told her I had sampled it, it had very poor longevity, and no thanks!

TJ

Dependent

YES JON! Its definitely well worth it, im not sure how many bottles you would get, but id at least get 2

Overrated fragrance in my opinion. A few minutes of orange and then all I get is a sickly sweet powder for a couple of hours.

I've been told that even the concentree version is short-lived. I have a cologne version and it disappears within 1 hour. For that price, if you like it, buy a few bottles then since you'll have to reapply it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Thanks for all the replies. I went to that department store earlier and discovered that last weekend was the last day of the discounts for perfumes. But i don't think i'll even get it because of its bad sillage and longevity. I do already have the concentree version anyway.

Thanks for all the replies. I went to that department store earlier and discovered that last weekend was the last day of the discounts for perfumes.
    Why of course!
    A week is practically a LIFETIME as far as perfume discounts are concerned!
    I've seen tables of discounted stock stripped bare in a number of hours!

Dependent

Thanks for all the replies. I went to that department store earlier and discovered that last weekend was the last day of the discounts for perfumes. But i don't think i'll even get it because of its bad sillage and longevity. I do already have the concentree version anyway.
    What a bummer, but like Dimi said its quite common with sales. Imma tad less jealous now :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Why of course!
    A week is practically a LIFETIME as far as perfume discounts are concerned!
    I've seen tables of discounted stock stripped bare in a number of hours!
    Dimi even if there was never ever a discount for LP 9s, no one will ever be able to dethrone you
    Last edited by MFJ; 5th July 2009 at 06:46 AM.

Matt - The Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte were on discount at Robinsons. U might want to check out Robinsons in your country. Other frags i remember that were on discount, Davidoff Silver Shadow, cK Man, Lacoste Pour Homme, Hugo Dark Blue and a few Anna Sui bottles. Most were 50% off normal retail price.

I actually just blind-bought a tester of this from Parfum1, which is selling it for less than $30 before their current 15% discount. Haven't received it yet, but my longevity expectations are sufficiently low that I doubt I'll be disappointed!