Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default "Perfumes: The Guide - Newsletter on hold (possibly permanently)"

I received an email from Turin/Sanchez this morning with the following message:

Perfumes: The Guide - Newsletter on hold (possibly permanently)
    Posted: 03 Jul 2009 07:05 AM PDT
    Thank you to all who supported our experiment in publishing an ongoing online review of 100 new fragrances per season. Unfortunately, we've had to put an end to it for now, since it amounts to a part-time job, which we sadly no longer have time to do properly. No telling whether we'll pick it up again, though we do plan a massive update in a couple of years. In the meantime, please stay tuned for the revamped paperback this fall, from Penguin USA and Profile UK. It adds all the new reviews from the newsletters, revised reviews of a handful of important classics in transition, more FAQs, and an index by brand. You may reach us, as always, at mail@perfumestheguide.com.

Default Re: "Perfumes: The Guide - Newsletter on hold (possibly permanently)"

Time for a basenotes review collective to fill the gap .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Time for a basenotes review collective to fill the gap .

I totally agree! The overall quality and readability of many of the Basenotes Reviews would make a fascinating and most informative read. It could be totally eVersioned to keep costs at a minimum. What a treasure of fragrance information!
    Last edited by kbe; 4th July 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: "Perfumes: The Guide - Newsletter on hold (possibly permanently)"

I got my email this morning; what a bummer!

Blog Entries

I followed the link in the message - from what it said on the website, it appears that LT is very busy ("full time") at MIT. That's great to hear. I'm hopeful that he's found some fruitful avenues of research. A while back, he had mentioned collaborating on some fascinating work with non-olfactory receptors, which could have significant implications for all receptors. I really thought it would be superhuman to pursue such research and publish a newsletter on a completely different interest at the same time. I think he has prioritized wisely. Moreover, I think that a full second edition of the book, at some point in the future, would be more rewarding for everyone on many levels. I'm hoping that it might happen.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I like the idea of a BN collective, at least not if it means "official" reviews and everyone else reduced to secondary status. I like letting everyone have a say and making each person responsible for judging the wise from the naïve.

Is there any kind of index of reviewers, like the list of blogs that shows how many posts each blogger has? An alternative to official reviews would be to see who has reviewed a lot of fragrances, then read enough reviews to decide whose tastes are like mine and who knows more than me. Based on my limited experience here I'd search out reviews by Brielle87 and Redneck Perfumista.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    I'm not sure I like the idea of a BN collective, at least not if it means "official" reviews and everyone else reduced to secondary status. I like letting everyone have a say and making each person responsible for judging the wise from the naïve.

Is there any kind of index of reviewers, like the list of blogs that shows how many posts each blogger has? An alternative to official reviews would be to see who has reviewed a lot of fragrances, then read enough reviews to decide whose tastes are like mine and who knows more than me. Based on my limited experience here I'd search out reviews by Brielle87 and Redneck Perfumista.
    I see nothing officially Basenotes any more than the existing reviews are official in the sense of dissing or praising. When chosen from a group of member's reviews for a given fragrance and for any number of fragrances ultimately chosen to be featured it could be described as a general cross section of the many reviews available on Basenotes itself. The work could consist of a number of opinions on each fragrance chosen that may or may not agree with each other about the attributes of any given fragrance. Perhaps the fragrances and the reviews could be nominated by Basenoters and then voted on by Basenoters for inclusion in a book-like format.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th July 2009 at 01:34 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I think the reality has something to do with the fact that while many of us treasure The Guide, the general book buying public could care less if it existed or not. I'm grateful to have my 3 hard copies and 3 of the updates.
    Thank you Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez for your wonderful contributions to popular culture. I look forward to all new editions.

I got the email, too. Bummer. I was just thinking about checking out the site for the new release for Summer 09.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

I really enjoy the Guide and the updates. Sad to receive the e-mail and hear the bad news! Will have to buy the updated book when it's out.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sense of bummedness here, too, cuz, you know, can't get enough perfume-related entertainment. However, if SMM published Perfumes: The Comic Book (comprised of illustrations and his reviews), I wouldn't miss LT and TS in the slightest.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Sense of bummedness here, too, cuz, you know, can't get enough perfume-related entertainment. However, if SMM published Perfumes: The Comic Book (comprised of illustrations and his reviews), I wouldn't miss LT and TS in the slightest.
    Now that you mention it, why not go for a collaboration between SMM & Vibert I like the comic book format for them...in a more serious book, I'd pair Asha & Foetidus
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 7th July 2009 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post

I was thinking, wouldn't it be helpful if people could rate Basenotes reviews, giving the most accurate and insightful reviews more weight than less thoughtful reviews? That would separate the wheat from the chaff without losing the variety of opinions.
    Last edited by Mossant; 7th July 2009 at 01:20 AM.

Blog Entries

A Perfume Shrine article contains the most information I've been able to find on LT's work for MIT. Does anyone know more?