Code of Conduct

Default Almond / Benzaldehyde

From the Note Identification Project thread:

Benzaldehyde: bitter almonds, just that, bitter almonds, odour strength is enormous. we have a sweet that is called marzipan that also smells like this.

Default Re: Almond / Benzaldehyde

A*Maze by People of the Labrynths use this note (bitter almond) to such a beautiful effect...one cud almost taste it.

one other scent which imho is so underrated on BN...i'm yet to encounter a scent which has used the almond accord so explicitly..that very few niche brands could touch the level of quality it has to offer. the scent im talkin about is, Paco Rabbane XS Extreme Girl. composed by the great, Mark Buxton (Comme des Garcons)...it's a lesson/treat for anyone who admires Almond based scent///

I love almond! One of my favorite.
    What about almond milk or whatever it is called? the scent that we find in liquid soaps or lotions...
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~Confucius

Is this note in Hypnotic Poison, I suspect?
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Could be in Hypnotic Poison...but it might also be heliotrope which has a cherry-almond quality.

Questions from another thread compelled me to find out more about benzaldehyde as a possible common component of heliotrope, bitter almond and cherry...

According to this web site, heliotrope and bitter almond have the same main component in common, benzaldehyde:

http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOilsEng/EssentialOils13A/EssentialOils13A.htm#Heliotrope

http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOil...s04.htm#Bitter

Here is a useful source that lists different suppliers of benzaldehyde and the scent characteristics of some of them. Many descriptors state almond, cherry or both. Click through to the suppliers, eg, Vigon, to see the spec sheet and aromatic description (in this case, "characteristic cherry"):

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1001491.html

Here is a Google Books excerpt which talks about how benzaldehyde is the main component in cherry juice and how benzaldehyde is important as an ingredient in synthetic cherry flavorings:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_Ov...cherry&f=false
    Last edited by Asha; 27th February 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Questions from another thread compelled me to find out more about benzaldehyde as a possible common component of heliotrope, bitter almond and cherry...

According to this web site, heliotrope and bitter almond have the same main component in common, benzaldehyde:

http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOilsEng/EssentialOils13A/EssentialOils13A.htm#Heliotrope

http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOil...s04.htm#Bitter

Here is a useful source that lists different suppliers of benzaldehyde and the scent characteristics of some of them. Many descriptors state almond, cherry or both. Click through to the suppliers, eg, Vigon, to see the spec sheet and aromatic description (in this case, "characteristic cherry"):

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1001491.html
    ]

Benzaldehyde does indeed reek like the magical cherry kingdom. It is the simplest aromatic aldehyde. Truthfully, I doubt it is used much in fragrance because it would not be a sustained note through the course of a fragrance's development. In the laboratory, when I open a bottle of benzaldehyde and then come back to it several days later, one may notice a white crust on the inside of the cap and rim of the bottle. It is very sensitive to oxidation: it will oxidize to benzoic acid (which is practically odourless, and much less irritating on the skin than the aldehyde). Putting some on my skin, I will smell quite cherry-like for some minutes, but it quickly fades and my skin will taste sour from the benzoic acid produced (benzoic acid, and benzoates are food preservatives).

One correction Asha, I should mention that heliotropin and benzaldehyde are not the same thing. Both are aromatic aldehydes, but heliotropin is commonly known as piperonal (it was isolated from piperine, the same material that is present in black pepper extract and oleoresin). It's being phased out by IFRA for several reasons, most of them political :-/ Heliotrope has a very vanillic, cherry, and yet spicy odor that has a rootbeer tinge to it. Givenchy Pi has a heliotrope note to it.

I so love Givency Pi for the use of almond: was addicted from the first whiff on, haha!

And I love to eat marzipan, although I've never had a fragrance that has marzipan in it. Would really love that too I bet.

Benzaldehyde is a fairly common material in perfumery, although it is rarely used at a high level as it is so very strong. It is also very unstable, and oxidises to benzoic acid, as has been mentioned. Heliotropin, is not the same material, although it is, I think, the major component of the smell of Heliotrope. As far as I am aware, whilst there are certain restrictions, IFRA is not trying to remove Heliotropin. The only controversy surrounding it, is that it can be used in the synthesis of MDA an Ecstasy type stimulant.

asha said heliotrope, which is a fragrant flowering plant, and not heliotropin, which got it's name most likely from the plant.

Another good one for almond is Amandes Orientales by Montale.

Hm... I'm currently looking for a cherry/marzipan/almond-note and was wondering why Heliotropin / Piperonal is so difficult to come by. Turns out that it is restricted because it can be used for the production of MDA (a close relative of MDMA aka Ecstasy). Is there a good (identical smelling and lasting) replacement available - apart from Coumarin?
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 23rd March 2012 at 06:19 PM.

veratraldehyde is used as a heliotropin replacement.

Hey, thanks for this info, gido! I just searched the Perfumer's Apprentice shop for it and ironically stumbled upon the Heliotropin Replacer, which I wasn't aware of before...

http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...placer-50.aspx
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 26th March 2012 at 09:21 PM.

I know they keep their recipes hush-hush, but might Heliotropin or its replacer be the element that gives Jar Perfume's Jarling its marzipan-like note?

i don't know jarling, but there are many materials with a much directer almond/marzipan note.

Dependent

what kind of almond would aqua di parma sicilia be part of?
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Is there anything less syrupy the SL Louve but equally almondy?

Bitter Almond oil is fascinating stuff - not least because it isn't bitter and does not come (usually) from almonds. You also sometimes read that it is poisonous and there is a good reason why that is often said (see blog post for more on this), but the stuff you see for sale - effectively pure benzaldehyde - is not.

If you follow the link it will take you to a blog post in which I've explained in detail the origins, components and safety considerations for bitter almond.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

It seems more like cherry to me.