Code of Conduct

Thread: Cardamom

Default Cardamom

From the Note Identification Project thread:

Cardamom, India, Eden Botanicals Ė Sweet, candylike aroma, pungent, with green-floral-fruity undertones. The spice comes from seeds and pods. Green cardamom is one of my favorite spice aromas and flavors.

Dependent

Default Re: Cardamom

My essential oil was cheap and smells great. I put it in my diffuser regularly. It's a bit brighter than the dried spice, but it's very edible, sweet, and sharp. Only the slightest green undertones. I don't smell it as pungent at all. Just a wonderful exotic spice. Drink some chai tea and you'll know what I mean.

I personally prefer green cardamom to black cardamom.

I think CB I Hate Perfumes' "Beast" makes a strong use of black cardamom.

Cardamom is one of my favourite spices in the kitchen - I use to enliven coffee and desserts, not to mention curries. So I was very surprised to find that when I sniffed it in the form of an essential oil instead of the fresh pod, it morphed into a strange, skanky, cat's pee note. Horrid! Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it was a stale oil, but I'm sticking to the fresh spice from now on.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    Cardamom is one of my favourite spices in the kitchen - I use to enliven coffee and desserts, not to mention curries. So I was very surprised to find that when I sniffed it in the form of an essential oil instead of the fresh pod, it morphed into a strange, skanky, cat's pee note. Horrid! Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it was a stale oil, but I'm sticking to the fresh spice from now on.
    Nope, my cardamom oil smells like a brighter version of the familiar spice. (Essential oil's concentration tends to bring out the crisp aromatic facet of spices ime.) It's terrific in my diffuser. You probably got a bad batch.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    I donít get cat-pee from the essential oil but I do think itís distinctly disappointing compared to the pods, freshly ground. In fact itís for that reason that I hardly use it in perfumery. However I was recently sent a sample for evaluation of a CO2 extract of cardamom that really captures the spice scent: I compared it to the EO that I have and it made it seem really dull and flat.

Itís a total CO2 extract which normally spells major difficulty dissolving it, but in this case I had no trouble at all, which was a very pleasant surprise. I donít know whether heís stocking it or not yet but the sample was from Hermitage Oils.
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thanks for all feedback, and Chris, I'll definitely be looking for it at Hermitage Oils. I really like their Rose Absolute, and they were extremely helpful on the phone, so will go back there. I do love cardamom, so keeping fingers crossed.

Black Cardamon - dried pods, ground.

Intensely smokey until the pod is broken when it spills forth citric, earthy spice notes. The different scents are quite confronting and invigorating. An intensely grounding fragrance which I find intriguing as the citric, spice and smokey notes all view for attention. Would blend well with vetiver, moss and dry woods.

"Cardomon" essential oil from Aqua Oleum:

Eucalyptus, confectionery, fruity, orange

Clara, seriously, do you write books?