Code of Conduct

Default Juniper / Juniper Berry

From the Note Identification Project thread:

Juniper Berry, origin unknown Ė This is a great note. Airy, lemony, piney, outdorsy, fresh, enjoyable. Far superior to the aroma of the crushed needles of the juniper bush, which can be alarmingly stinky.

Default Re: Juniper / Juniper Berry

Terpenic, some camphor, pine like but more 'clear' in aroma. Faint hint of berry aroma. Smells a lot like gin without the alcoholic burn.

The C02 extraction that I've tried is in a "higher register" than the essential oil. It is clearer and more pine like with an airier berry note, where the steam distillation is a bit earthier and smoother.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I've put it in my first natural perfume and it was very dominant... it was possible to smell it even in drydown...
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Terpenic, some camphor, pine like but more 'clear' in aroma. Faint hint of berry aroma. Smells a lot like gin without the alcoholic burn.

The C02 extraction that I've tried is in a "higher register" than the essential oil. It is clearer and more pine like with an airier berry note, where the steam distillation is a bit earthier and smoother.
    I've been meaning to add a note here for a while, as juniper is something I love and use a lot. First on the scent I find my Juniper Berry Essential Oils (I have some from Hermitage Oils and some from another source) are both brighter than my CO2 Extraction (from White Lotus). I've used the CO2 to make a Simple Essence (single note perfume) and also incorporated it in a perfume. It certainly does seem to have elements that are missing from the EO - less bright but more depth - and performs well in the blend. In combination they give a more convincing gin note.

The EO is brilliant for creating a gin note (essential for two fragrances in my range that are inspired by gin cocktails) and it really does last, losing that initial brightness but still contributing a distinctive element far longer than most top-notes.

Solubility in ethanol: neither version of juniper behaves quite normally. The EO exhibits the same temporary clouding that I've described for peppermint - in the case of juniper EO there is less clouding but it takes longer to clear - about 20 days usually. The resulting solution when it has cleared is colourless.

The CO2 Extraction, like many of these, won't dissolve completely in ethanol at all. Most of the liquid dissolves quite happily and immediately to form a yellowish-green coloured solution but something precipitates out to form little cloudy lumps suspended in it. Further work established that adding some IPM (isopropyl myristate) to the solution will get it to dissolve completely: about 10% IPM to 10% Juniper CO2 to 80% ethanol works well.
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 14th March 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: updated details on solubility & use of of carbon dioxide extraction
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

What floral notes go well with juniper?

Quote Originally Posted by cuallito View Post
    What floral notes go well with juniper?
    I like juniper with orange flower very much, but it will work well with rose, lily of the valley and others too depending on what you are trying to achieve.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Where in the fragrance pyramid do you usually find this note present?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Where in the fragrance pyramid do you usually find this note present?
    I would say it's a middle note, though the CO2 extract has more of a top-note aspect, they both last a few hours on a strip.
    Chris Bartlett