Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

Or as the youngins say - "it's sick!". Poured some of the 8oz bottle into an atomizer and put it in the refrigerator to spray myself with when the heat gets too much. It's very pleasant and simple, sort of like the soap found at a high end hotel.

Any other "waters" you can recommend? I know of 4711 but little else.
    Last edited by adonis; 5th July 2009 at 06:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

Royal Violets!...smells like baby powder. Cuban mamas use it on their little ones. Lovely in an atomizer, and cooled in the fridge. Try it!

I got the Santa Maria Novella Hert & Mint Water, which is very good - refreshing to splash on yourself when it's hot, and also very relaxing if you put it on your pillow at night. You can also put it in your bath, but I've not tried that yet.

Hoyt's Cologne

Post Thanks / Like

man...florida water brings me back to when i was a kid...we used to go to swim meets in LA, MS, and FLA were it was hot as blazes. My mom used to put the florida water and a little h20 in a gatorade squirt bottle with ice and squirt us down throughout the day to keep us cool...still to this day, two of my favorite "scents" are florida water and chlorinated water...God I love nostalgia.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I use these when I do my Hoodoo magic and curses on people. WHAT? Heh heh heh I'm sorta not kidding.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really like to get some decent Florida Water over here. A bottle from an Asia shop in Amsterdam smelled positively awful and I didn't dare apply it to skin....
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella is very refreshing, but horribly overpriced.

Oddly, I've never worn Florida Water (and I live in Florida). Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at the pharmacy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella is very refreshing, but horribly overpriced.

Oddly, I've never worn Florida Water (and I live in Florida). Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at the pharmacy.
    If SMN lasted a tad longer I'd own a bunch of them, especially since there's a SMN store nearby.

Yeah, try the Florida water! Like I mentioned, a slight orange note and high end hotel soap. I took an atomizer with me for my Sunday afternoon power walk and spritzed myself down when it got too hot.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen or heard of Florida Water prior to this threak and I've been in S. FL for 5 years...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I've never seen or heard of Florida Water prior to this threak and I've been in S. FL for 5 years...
    Since I bought Florida Water in Cali, perhaps you should search for California Water in Florida

I'll bet one of the Cuban markets sells it.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an old world thing that may have originated in but is not tied to "Florida." It's customary in creole culture and major component in Hoodoo and Voodoo folklore. Listen to some Lighting Hopinks guys. Get yourselves some hot foot powder and a Mojo Hand.

- Al

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this selection. Also carries the Sandalwood tonic that another BNer wrote highly of:

http://www.botanicamamakaruca.com/pr...tem=popularity
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some info including some formulations:
    http://www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html

David G. Williams' Perfumes of Yesterday (Micelle Press, 2004, p.340) wrongly states that Florida Water was introduced in the early 1880s. A quick search in Early American Newspapers shows Baltimore druggist J.M. Laroque advertising it in the Baltimore Gazette and Daily Advertiser on April 26, 1828: "This agreeable composition which is not surpassed by any of the imported Cologne or Lavender Waters is obtained from plants grown in the southern parts of the U. states." He advertises as a cosmetic for facial care, a philodontic (mouthwash) and against stomach pains. Pint bottles 62.5 cts.

Lanman&Kemp claim introduction in 1808:
    http://www.lanman-and-kemp.com/history.htm
    Last edited by the_good_life; 6th July 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Since I bought Florida Water in Cali, perhaps you should search for California Water in Florida

I'll bet one of the Cuban markets sells it.
    Yes, that's the one I see on shelves in pharmacies here in Miami - even the American ones.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I actually might have seen it in miami before... I assumed it was a drink.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the name comes from the Fountain of youth that DeLeon found in Florida (thats what Wiki says at least).

- Al

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I just cam home from the supermarket, saw it, and bought some (less than $4!). I'm currently doused in Shalimar (EdC) so I'll wear it later this week and report back.

Post Thanks / Like

I just cam home from the supermarket, saw it, and bought some (less than $4!). I'm currently doused in Shalimar (EdC) so I'll wear it later this week and report back.

Heh. I got ripped off!

Post Thanks / Like

Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing it now. I'm not sure I like it, maybe this particular brands version is a little too synthetic for my tastes, but it's been quite a rollercoaster of ups and downs wearing this:

1. Last night I decanted some into a small atomizer, sprayed it on, and instantly disliked it. It smelled like spray starch and fizzy tonic water bubbles combined. With a glue-like synthetic edge.
    2. So I sprayed some on Ray (I doused him with about 8 sprays from the atomizer) and it actually smelled better on his skin but smelled from afar, not close sniffing which yielded the unpleasant notes I got myself
    3. Today, I decided to splash it on, not spray it. Totally different effect. I literally splashed about 1 oz of this stuff on (chest, arms, back of my neck, wrists, etc). The top notes, a blend of watery citrus progressed to something else entirely: spice.
    4. A cinchona bark / clove like note popped up about a few minutes into the drydown - which I LOVED! On the way back to the office, from lunch, I was very satisfied with the scent filling my air conditioned car. Crisp citrus and tangy spice. Yum!
    5. An hour later, in my rather warm office cubicle, I realized that my slight perspiration was mixing horribly with the fragrance. The combo smelled rather ghastly. The lack of quality ingredients really shows up in the thin and very irritating base notes. Wash this off me now!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, PLEASE PLEASE use it to put a hoodoo curse on Grant just for fun. Nothing awful but something like give him hairy thumbs for a month. We'll see how his wife reacts. You're in Miami there is a Haitian population there that can assist you.

Wearing it now. I'm not sure I like it, maybe this particular brands version is a little too synthetic for my tastes, but it's been quite a rollercoaster of ups and downs wearing this:

1. Last night I decanted some into a small atomizer, sprayed it on, and instantly disliked it. It smelled like spray starch and fizzy tonic water bubbles combined. With a glue-like synthetic edge.
    2. So I sprayed some on Ray (I doused him with about 8 sprays from the atomizer) and it actually smelled better on his skin but smelled from afar, not close sniffing which yielded the unpleasant notes I got myself
    3. Today, I decided to splash it on, not spray it. Totally different effect. I literally splashed about 1 oz of this stuff on (chest, arms, back of my neck, wrists, etc). The top notes, a blend of watery citrus progressed to something else entirely: spice.
    4. A cinchona bark / clove like note popped up about a few minutes into the drydown - which I LOVED! On the way back to the office, from lunch, I was very satisfied with the scent filling my air conditioned car. Crisp citrus and tangy spice. Yum!
    5. An hour later, in my rather warm office cubicle, I realized that my slight perspiration was mixing horribly with the fragrance. The combo smelled rather ghastly. The lack of quality ingredients really shows up in the thin and very irritating base notes. Wash this off me now!

Post Thanks / Like

Well Mike, at least you're only out the cost of a Vente Cappuccino. I enjoy it, and I'm planning on setting something like this up at home: