Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Or as the youngins say - "it's sick!". Poured some of the 8oz bottle into an atomizer and put it in the refrigerator to spray myself with when the heat gets too much. It's very pleasant and simple, sort of like the soap found at a high end hotel.

    Any other "waters" you can recommend? I know of 4711 but little else.
    Last edited by adonis; 5th July 2009 at 06:50 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Royal Violets!...smells like baby powder. Cuban mamas use it on their little ones. Lovely in an atomizer, and cooled in the fridge. Try it!

  3. #3

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    I got the Santa Maria Novella Hert & Mint Water, which is very good - refreshing to splash on yourself when it's hot, and also very relaxing if you put it on your pillow at night. You can also put it in your bath, but I've not tried that yet.

  4. #4

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Hoyt's Cologne

  5. #5
    jdnba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    man...florida water brings me back to when i was a kid...we used to go to swim meets in LA, MS, and FLA were it was hot as blazes. My mom used to put the florida water and a little h20 in a gatorade squirt bottle with ice and squirt us down throughout the day to keep us cool...still to this day, two of my favorite "scents" are florida water and chlorinated water...God I love nostalgia.
    Current Top 5:

    Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Yes I use these when I do my Hoodoo magic and curses on people. WHAT? Heh heh heh I'm sorta not kidding.

  7. #7
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    I'd really like to get some decent Florida Water over here. A bottle from an Asia shop in Amsterdam smelled positively awful and I didn't dare apply it to skin....
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella is very refreshing, but horribly overpriced.

    Oddly, I've never worn Florida Water (and I live in Florida). Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at the pharmacy.

  9. #9
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Rose Water by Santa Maria Novella is very refreshing, but horribly overpriced.

    Oddly, I've never worn Florida Water (and I live in Florida). Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a bottle next time I'm at the pharmacy.
    If SMN lasted a tad longer I'd own a bunch of them, especially since there's a SMN store nearby.

    Yeah, try the Florida water! Like I mentioned, a slight orange note and high end hotel soap. I took an atomizer with me for my Sunday afternoon power walk and spritzed myself down when it got too hot.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 12:19 AM.

  10. #10
    Big Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A cave in Afghanistan
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    I've never seen or heard of Florida Water prior to this threak and I've been in S. FL for 5 years...

  11. #11
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I've never seen or heard of Florida Water prior to this threak and I've been in S. FL for 5 years...
    Since I bought Florida Water in Cali, perhaps you should search for California Water in Florida



    I'll bet one of the Cuban markets sells it.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 01:23 AM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    It's an old world thing that may have originated in but is not tied to "Florida." It's customary in creole culture and major component in Hoodoo and Voodoo folklore. Listen to some Lighting Hopinks guys. Get yourselves some hot foot powder and a Mojo Hand.

    - Al

  13. #13
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Check out this selection. Also carries the Sandalwood tonic that another BNer wrote highly of:

    http://www.botanicamamakaruca.com/pr...tem=popularity
    Last edited by adonis; 6th July 2009 at 07:37 AM.

  14. #14
    the_good_life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Friedberg (Hessen)
    Posts
    5,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Here's some info including some formulations:
    http://www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html

    David G. Williams' Perfumes of Yesterday (Micelle Press, 2004, p.340) wrongly states that Florida Water was introduced in the early 1880s. A quick search in Early American Newspapers shows Baltimore druggist J.M. Laroque advertising it in the Baltimore Gazette and Daily Advertiser on April 26, 1828: "This agreeable composition which is not surpassed by any of the imported Cologne or Lavender Waters is obtained from plants grown in the southern parts of the U. states." He advertises as a cosmetic for facial care, a philodontic (mouthwash) and against stomach pains. Pint bottles 62.5 cts.

    Lanman&Kemp claim introduction in 1808:
    http://www.lanman-and-kemp.com/history.htm
    Last edited by the_good_life; 6th July 2009 at 08:56 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Since I bought Florida Water in Cali, perhaps you should search for California Water in Florida



    I'll bet one of the Cuban markets sells it.
    Yes, that's the one I see on shelves in pharmacies here in Miami - even the American ones.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2009 at 08:54 PM.

  16. #16
    Big Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    A cave in Afghanistan
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Hmm I actually might have seen it in miami before... I assumed it was a drink.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    I guess the name comes from the Fountain of youth that DeLeon found in Florida (thats what Wiki says at least).

    - Al

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    I just cam home from the supermarket, saw it, and bought some (less than $4!). I'm currently doused in Shalimar (EdC) so I'll wear it later this week and report back.

  19. #19
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just cam home from the supermarket, saw it, and bought some (less than $4!). I'm currently doused in Shalimar (EdC) so I'll wear it later this week and report back.

    Heh. I got ripped off!

  20. #20
    argogos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    1,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Wearing it now. I'm not sure I like it, maybe this particular brands version is a little too synthetic for my tastes, but it's been quite a rollercoaster of ups and downs wearing this:

    1. Last night I decanted some into a small atomizer, sprayed it on, and instantly disliked it. It smelled like spray starch and fizzy tonic water bubbles combined. With a glue-like synthetic edge.
    2. So I sprayed some on Ray (I doused him with about 8 sprays from the atomizer) and it actually smelled better on his skin but smelled from afar, not close sniffing which yielded the unpleasant notes I got myself
    3. Today, I decided to splash it on, not spray it. Totally different effect. I literally splashed about 1 oz of this stuff on (chest, arms, back of my neck, wrists, etc). The top notes, a blend of watery citrus progressed to something else entirely: spice.
    4. A cinchona bark / clove like note popped up about a few minutes into the drydown - which I LOVED! On the way back to the office, from lunch, I was very satisfied with the scent filling my air conditioned car. Crisp citrus and tangy spice. Yum!
    5. An hour later, in my rather warm office cubicle, I realized that my slight perspiration was mixing horribly with the fragrance. The combo smelled rather ghastly. The lack of quality ingredients really shows up in the thin and very irritating base notes. Wash this off me now!

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Mike, PLEASE PLEASE use it to put a hoodoo curse on Grant just for fun. Nothing awful but something like give him hairy thumbs for a month. We'll see how his wife reacts. You're in Miami there is a Haitian population there that can assist you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wearing it now. I'm not sure I like it, maybe this particular brands version is a little too synthetic for my tastes, but it's been quite a rollercoaster of ups and downs wearing this:

    1. Last night I decanted some into a small atomizer, sprayed it on, and instantly disliked it. It smelled like spray starch and fizzy tonic water bubbles combined. With a glue-like synthetic edge.
    2. So I sprayed some on Ray (I doused him with about 8 sprays from the atomizer) and it actually smelled better on his skin but smelled from afar, not close sniffing which yielded the unpleasant notes I got myself
    3. Today, I decided to splash it on, not spray it. Totally different effect. I literally splashed about 1 oz of this stuff on (chest, arms, back of my neck, wrists, etc). The top notes, a blend of watery citrus progressed to something else entirely: spice.
    4. A cinchona bark / clove like note popped up about a few minutes into the drydown - which I LOVED! On the way back to the office, from lunch, I was very satisfied with the scent filling my air conditioned car. Crisp citrus and tangy spice. Yum!
    5. An hour later, in my rather warm office cubicle, I realized that my slight perspiration was mixing horribly with the fragrance. The combo smelled rather ghastly. The lack of quality ingredients really shows up in the thin and very irritating base notes. Wash this off me now!

  23. #23
    adonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southern Cali
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I'm Really Digging $8 Florida Water

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    5. An hour later, in my rather warm office cubicle, I realized that my slight perspiration was mixing horribly with the fragrance. The combo smelled rather ghastly. The lack of quality ingredients really shows up in the thin and very irritating base notes. Wash this off me now!
    Well Mike, at least you're only out the cost of a Vente Cappuccino. I enjoy it, and I'm planning on setting something like this up at home:


Similar Threads

  1. Agustin Reyes Royal Violets and Florida Water by Murray & Lanman
    By Aiona in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28th November 2009, 01:26 PM
  2. Florida Water or 4711 - What's your pleasure?
    By atrac in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26th March 2008, 03:24 PM
  3. Cool Water review
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th February 2008, 01:03 AM
  4. Murray and Lanman Florida Water Cologne...
    By docluv45 in forum Missing Fragrances List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st June 2006, 06:07 AM
  5. Florida Water Cologne by Med-Ex
    By Anouk in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd December 2004, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •