Code of Conduct

Default Good substitute for Montale Black Aoud? C&S Dark Rose

I got the sampler pack from Czech and Speake. #88 is a bit too something on me. I had worn Cuba once before, but out of the sampler pack, wow, I fell in love with it. Tobacco, rum, a little mint, a little citrus. I can see this as a smokey filled night club, mojito spilt on me, a bit of sweat from the dancing, an viola, your latin lover awaits.

Some of the others were nice, like Oxford and Cambridge. Citrus Paradisi was for me one of the best citrus scents I have smelled. Some are too lemony, either like furniture polish or very tart, but CP was very nice. A little more tenatious than Acqua di Parma Colonia.

I have two left that I liked on first sniff, Neroli and Frankicense and Myrrh.

But the real suprise was Dark Rose. On initial application, I felt it was Black Aoud done light. Not as heavy on the rose, not as heavy on the aoud. About the same rose as BA, since I have tried Attar and Rose Petals and know the difference. About three hours in, I read a couple of reviews and someone said fruitiness. I tried to sniff it out, and I felt that maybe, if you stuck your nose to the scent for 5 minutes you could fool yourself into thinking fruit, but I really felt it was Black Auod, less intense. Good thing, I have half the vial left, because I am going to test it one evening to see if it is full bottle worthy.

I have to get another sample of Cuba.

Default Re: Good substitute for Montale Black Aoud? C&S Dark Rose

Citrus Paradisi is indeed the best citrus I know of, you mentioned Acqua di Parma being less tenacious than CP, can I assume they smell pretty much the same? Is it worth trying it out?

I've never tried Montale aoud, so Dark Rose is a bit on the heavy side for me, if all aoud scents are lilke this, then I will give Montale a pass.

NO. 88 is well-balanced, love it.

Cuba has a sweaty smell, but overall masculine.

The rest very average.
    Last edited by CDG; 5th July 2009 at 01:54 PM.

For me, there is no substitute for Black Aoud... though if there were, itd be C&S Dark Rose.

I adore No.88, its a beautifuly blended frag.

If you found Dark Rose was a lil too heavy then the odds are you'll feel the same for Black Aoud, however most of the rest of Montale are really quite different. Aoud Roses petals is in a similar vein to BA, but definately worth a sample
    As above, so below.

'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.'
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Sa Majeste La Rose and Green Irish for sale- P.M. me

My first and only Montale is Red Vetiver, the strong resemblance to Terre d'Hermes totally ruined the experience, I expected so much more. I am not a fan of rose, so really there isn't much left for me in Montale.
    Last edited by CDG; 5th July 2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    I am not a fan of rose, so really there isn't much left for me in Montale.
    NO. 88 is well-balanced, love it.
    CDG, perhaps give Black Aoud a chance.

While No. 88 is my favorite masculine rose fragrance, Black Aoud is not too far behind.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 5th July 2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I think C&S Dark Rose is closer to Golden Aoud by Montale than Black Aoud because of the saffron in the opening of both. Dark Rose is saffron, rose and oud - the same major notes of Golden Aoud from Montale. Another fragrance that works off of the magic of saffron, rose and oud is A*Maze from People of the Labyrinth - a wonderful fragrance. A*Maze is deeper and richer than all of these, but my favorite of the bunch is Golden Aoud. Black Aoud is darker than Dark Rose with its leather/labdanum base and without saffron in the opening.

I really don't think there is a substitute for Black Aoud - it is very dark and rich.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th July 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Put simply, my nose tells me Dark Rose is the lighter, more synthetic Black Aoud, missing the magic, quality and character of Black Aoud. Personally, I wish they came out with a less potent and tenacious Black Aoud - now that would be perfect. Dark Rose just feels cheap to me.
    Sales thread here

I use them both and, frankly, I don't see the similarity beyond both having a rich rose note. For me, Dark Rose is all about the saffron and Black Aoud is all about the oud. I just can't see wearing Dark Rose when what I really feel in the mood for is Black Aoud. And vice versa.

Off-Scenter

Citrus Paradisi is indeed the best citrus I know of, you mentioned Acqua di Parma being less tenacious than CP, can I assume they smell pretty much the same? Is it worth trying it out?...
    Citrus Paradisi and Acqua di Parma Colonia don't smell even remotely alike. The Czech & Speake is a very sharp grapefuit over a dry woods and civet foundation, while Acqua di Parma Colonia is a softer, sweeter traditional eau de Cologne formula with rose and aromatics in the heart. I find Citrus Paradisi to be much longer lasting on my skin, probably due to the civet. But again, the two aren't at all equivalent in content or composition.

I've seen the two compared before, but I don't really see the similarity. Black Aoud is big, sharp, aggressive, almost grating - not an easy one for me to wear. Dark Rose is a rich, jammy, mildly spicy abstract rose; full, warm and blooming. Much easier on the nose.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I have only tested dark rose once and what struck me was the opening was like Montale's Aoud Damascus. I need to test it again to study its development, but at least one other person in the community has made that observation.