Code of Conduct

Default What am I missing?

Hello basenoters!

I'm fairly new to the forum and would like some suggestions.

So far I own 8 full sized frags: Shalimar Light, Concentree D'Orange Verte, Un Jardin En Mediteranee, Byzance, Obsession Night, Bulgari Eau Fraiche, YSL Paris Spring Jardin Romantiques, and Cool Water.

I have eclectic taste-so far it's not about individual notes for me-I either like the overall effect of a fragrance or I don't. Sometime I'm indecisive.

My least favorite is Byzance because I have trouble with the musk. But I'm not against wearing it. Obsession Night is a touch too sweet though I do wear it going out. I love all of my fresh fruity/floral scents. Jardin Romantiques is almost too powdery/bittery/rosy, but I like it enough when I'm in the mood.

Since I have so many bright fruity/fresh type scents as mentioned above, I would like to add some darker scents to my collection. Scents which are more woodsy, perhaps somewhat spicy or herbacious, and less bubbly/cheery/girly. Does that make sense? Something more formal.

I went sniffing recently (1st time ever!!) and smelled a huge number of frags on test strips. 3 favorites although I haven't tried them on my skin: Coco Chanel (the original), Samsara, and Bulgari Woman. I also like Elle by YSL. Compared with what I usually wear they seem dressy to me. I'm just tired of smelling like a muskbomb (Byzance) or vanillabomb (Obsession Night) when I go out. Maybe something more complex? More woods? More spice? Less sugar?

Any thoughts on the 4 I mentioned? Or any other ideas?
    Thanks so much!

Blog Entries

Default Re: What am I missing?

Do the perfumes need to be available in dept. stores? Or are you willing to get samples from websites? Here's one to start: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/

Dept Store frags: Estee Lauder: Knowing, Private Collection, Azuree, White Linen, Chanel: no 19, Mademoiselle Coco, Les Exclusives if they have them.

Guerlain: Mitsouko, Boucheron: Boucheron, Paloma Picasso, Dior: Miss Dior, Lancome: O' de Lancome

Some of these you might not be able to find, but if you do you can at least give them a try.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th July 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Hello Kumquat,

I would prefer to be able to buy online (ebay, etc.) as I don't live close to any fine department stores.
    And nothing too pricey (under $100 retail). I am on a tight budget and rely on bargains. I usually try to find full bottles for $50 or less on Ebay. So I'm looking into designer frags which can be found online. Also, I cannot afford samples as they are not a good value (dollars per ounce) when looking to save money. So I research frags, sniff at stores, or blind buy from the web. Unless some kind soul would like to send me a sample or two. I'll message them my address and cover shipping (or some other small payment amount). Or any suggestions for cheap samples? I figure, for the price of some samples I may as well know what I want and get a full bottle. I've been lucky with blind buys so far though. Most frags in my current 'drobe were blind buys.

(sorry that was so long)
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by misscasey; 5th July 2009 at 08:54 PM.

You've already tried Coco the original? If you get that, compared to the rest of your collection, it'll be your most "dressy" perfume. Make sure it's the EDP version though. And you may be able to get a 50 ml version just under US$100.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Thanks GourmandHomme,

I've tried Coco but only on a strip. But I loved it! Would like to try it again before buying. Or if I find a good deal I'll just go for it. I'm working to add dressier frags to my test and wish lists.

Blog Entries

One of the best (my opinion, of course) smelling bargains on the net, is Houbigant Apercu. Look for a bargain around $45. It's not too hard to find, and it's just pretty, kind of spring green, tangy floral. I don't think you will tire of it.

Patou 1000, also a great all round floral, not overly sweet, the EDP is best, but hard to find as it's disc. The parfum is lovely, too.

Montale Black Aoud is also a wonderful Dark scent of rose Attar. It's very different, and you might want to read about it first to get an idea what to expect. But if you are tired of the sweet, it's a welcome change.

What I've been doing a lot lately is swapping for partial bottles rather than buy new. For example, I have a 1 ounce bottle of Samsara EdT (partial) up for swap (or sale).

Thank you Bigsly,

You have quite a few samples on my "test list." :0

I'll PM you with/for details.

misscasey: Should declar that I'm biased that I (early 30-something guy) owns Coco and I'm actually wearing it today because I'm going to see the movie "Coco Avant Chanel" with a girl - friend. She's coming tonight wearing Coco Mademoiselle - which may be easier to take if you like a more modern interpretation of it.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I tried Coco Mademoiselle during my above mentioned sniffing spree. I liked it but was most immediately impressed with the original. But I will try it again because it takes a lot of sniffing to "get" a fragrance (or not). Plus I was hungry that day, so I might have been more attracted to heavier frags that day as they reminded me of food. Or sugar. Well, but I despised the fruities that day. Who knows. But I know from my experience so far that it can take awhile to get to know a fragrance. But I loved Coco right away. I was really excited about it. Coco Mad was just ... "yeah I like it." But again, I did a lot of sniffing so ... It is a highly esteemed frag which I expect to like once I try it again. The notes look good in CocoMad, for sure.

Hi there! Looking at your list, I would recommend you next try some GREEN scents (no surprise in that recommendation) and also a vetiver scent.
    Sisley's Eau de Campagne is very leafy and green, and affordable.
    Geo F. Trumper's Wild Fern is a delightful, perky scent. Trumper will send you samples if you email them. (So too will Czech & Speake.)
    For vetiver, I wonder if Jo Malone has any stockists in your area? The stores are generous with their samples. And their vetiver is quite nice. Givenchy Vetiver also is nice.
    I've tried to give recommendations that are good and not pricey. Hope this helps!
    Cheers, ody
    Last edited by odysseusm; 11th July 2009 at 02:00 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thanks Odysseus,
    I've added those to my test list and look forward to trying them.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

My turn now, misscasey! Don't know if it is similar to the ones you have, but I absolutely love J'Adore (1999) by Christian Dior. My wife loves Prada Infusion d'Iris as a work frag. It is light and very summery, I don't find it sweet at all. You can try Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma too. In the sweet side I recommend you Ange au Demon, by Givenchy, and Angel, although I personnaly don't like them very much.

Thank you, God (You) Smell Good.

You know, I tried a sample packet of Ange Ou Demon in a gel form and it was seriously one of the worst things I've smelled in my life. It could have been the gel itself-like, whatever chemicals were in that version- but it was so rank and was hard to wash off ... yuck. But I won't judge the spray version from that experience. Anyway I appreciate your input and will look out for those scents you mentioned. J'Adore looks especially nice and I like the bottle design.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Coco is a gorgeous fragrance. If you are for a slightly cheaper alternative try Jil Sander No. 4. It has a similar vibe to it: classy, sophisticated, elegant and mature in character, I'd say. It can be found on ebay for about 35$ for 30ml (I only had a quick look to check if it was available).

I think you woud enjoy exploring Annick Goutal and L'Artisan. Goutals you can often find at Nordstrom or similar as well as discount perfumer stores both in the mall and online. As a range they go from light florals to spicy greens to incense and back again but have a consistent identity.

Same thing with L'Artisan, wonderful diversity. Though I know niche is a difficult thing because the cost of samples is ridiculous, but as far as I know if you order samples from them all you need to pay is shipping, which I think is a great deal.

Of the store brands I think Burberry and Kenzo are real standouts. Burberry has a good range of casual scents, generally light florals that have some character. My favorite Kenzos are the older ones (spicy Jungle l'Elephant, mimosa-y Summerbykenzo) and are definitely worth trying. You can find them all at discounters, too.

Aznavour: I've heard of some of those but haven't thought much but about them.
    So I will keep those in mind, thank you. Spicy greens and incense sound great to me.
    And Kenzo? I think I've seen some Kenzos online for much cheapness. Hooray.

Oh! and Jil Sander 4. Cool. Not heard of that one yet, Potiron.
    Last edited by misscasey; 21st July 2009 at 07:25 PM.

By the way, since I started this thread, I have added Mitsouko and Samsara EDTs.
    I also swapped someone for Nocturnes by Caron which is on its way to my greedy lil doorstep. So I think I'm good for awhile. LOL. Now the checkout clerk at the post office knows about my hobby: Swappie swappie swappie!

Perhaps the Ava Luxe line is worth exploring - she's niche, has a tendency towards "dark" fragrances, and all her fragrances are under 100$ ( they usually go for around 45$ to 50$ ). I quite like some of her stuff, especially the dark, woody Midnight Violet, which might be a good place to start from when sampling her line - I'm sure others here will have some suggestions, too.

Her online shop is closed for this month, so now's a good time to sample to see if you want something in August.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    By the way, since I started this thread, I have added Mitsouko and Samsara EDTs.
    Another Samsara fan here! Anyways I think you may enjoy Feminitè du Bois originally by Shiseido
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Perhaps the Ava Luxe line is worth exploring - she's niche, has a tendency towards "dark" fragrances, and all her fragrances are under 100$
    Incense Noir and Opoponax Intense are also quite good.

cool

Blog Entries

If you order from Ava Luxe. Try Chypre Noir, it's one of the best IMO. Lovely floral chypre.