Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Intrigued with Superfragrance for men by Aigner

I have been quietly looking for this scent the past 11 months or so, but have only come across a mini that wouldn't ship to the US.

I've read the sparse reviews, but the accords have me interested.

1978 Spicy Oriental

Top : Bergamot Oil, Clary Sage Oil, Galbanum, Lemon, Tarragon

Mid : Cedarwood Oil, Hay, Jasmin, Orris, Patchouli, Rose, Sandal

Base : Amber, Costus, Moss, Musk, Tonka, Vanilla

Has anyone ever worn this and how would you rate it?

Default Re: Intrigued with Superfragrance for men by Aigner

Yes I have worn it. It's a spicy frag, and although made 30 years ago I felt it was launched in the late 80s.

I have worn it once from a vial so I don't remember much. Please wait for noggs.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Yes I have worn it. It's a spicy frag, and although made 30 years ago I felt it was launched in the late 80s.

I have worn it once from a vial so I don't remember much. Please wait for noggs.
    Thanks Kiat. I shall keep searching for info and opportunity.

Aromi .... can you posty a pic of this frag here ? or a link to a bottle somwhere , as i may know where you can get one ....

AromiErotici

Only pic I could find from scentdirect that is the masculine. The woman's version looks very similar.

just that name SUPER scent - makes me think this stuff is wicked heavy and way too much sillage!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    just that name SUPER scent - makes me think this stuff is wicked heavy and way too much sillage!
    I am hoping so.

I am fortunate enough to own two bottles of Superfragrance for Men and one bottle of Superfragrance for Women.

The bottles are similar except that the masculine bottle is medium brownish green while the feminine bottle is a light frosted gold color. The boxes are also similar, but with the top three quarters of the feminine version being a very light tan while the masculine version is dark brown.

The two fragrances are related yet different. I can smell the some of the same notes or basic accords that are common to both. But even though they share some notes I think they are in different olfactory categories. The masculine version is a powdery, very woody Oriental while the feminine version seems more like a chypre. This is one instance where the masculine version is heavier and stronger and more expansive than the feminine version.

I can only describe it briefly and not in a detailed fashion.

The masculine fragrance dries down rather powdery, and I think there's vanilla or tonka and a healthy shot of patchouli in there. At a distance it seems rather soft, but a closer sniff reveals that there's also something firm or slightly astringent and bitter in the mix that keeps the powder in check. I'm not sure what this is, perhaps cedar and also a little vetiver. It's almost a bitter almond smell, and some of the elements combine to form something like an subtle anise or licorice aroma. It's strange but very compelling. The base is much more complex and forceful than that of most comtemporary fragrances.

In normal wear it comes across as soft, woody, and powdery. I recognize definiite similarities with some mens' fragrances of the 80s, but cannot put my finger on any one to compare it with. I think it has a decent amount of sillage but is not overly aggressive in that respect. It lasts a pretty long time, 6-8 hours.

I'm pretty sure you'd like it a lot!

EDITED TO SAY: I just looked at your posted note pyramid, and it seems pretty accurate to me. This is a complex fragrance with a lot going on, but is very well put together. I would place it in the top rank of mens' fragrances from this time period.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 7th July 2009 at 04:00 AM.

AromiErotici

Thank you noggs. Excellent post ! You may just be the only member to have this frag. Next time I have opportunity, I shall snap up a mini of this. It seems too eclectic to pass up on.

AromiErotici

Finally have gotten the opportunity to wear this and it is an excellent frag for sure. It doesn't have monster sillage, but just the right amount and the longevity is what you'd expect from ingredients used 31 years ago.

This is truly super and elegant to boot. This one of my better vintage acquisitions for sure and in my top 5 all day long. I am indebted to xmen for hunting this down for me.

I absolutely love this scent - it does smell a little herbal and yes a little powdery but enough woods to give it a bitter warm touch - never 'too' much and feels somewhat clean and comfortable. Another fragrance that has that warm bitter note to it is Jil Sander Man III - worth tracking down. Superfragrance was the first 'parfum' concentrate I bought around 1986 - came in a 10 ml spray bottle - mens' parfum concentrate has been around for a while now. There are a few things I can truly say that I cannot do without and this one of one of them, not only do I love the fragrance, it also brings back fond memories of the time I bought this and I have never seen a 'parfum' concentrate for men at that time. One of the best from the 80's along with Silver - sooooo difficult to find fragrances in that calibre these days.

AromiErotici

It has this very nice bitterness in the opening that softens after 5 minutes or so. I attribute that accord to the heartnotes of Cedar,Orris,Patch,Rose and Hay making themselves known with the topnotes. Very interesting and as different as say Macassar is, compared to other designers of its time. A striking accord to be sure. Dry, bitter and warm.

Even the Oriental base unfolds unconventionally. The base isn't like other orientals I have, yet all the usual suspects are present and accounted for. Very nice indeed......