Code of Conduct

Default When will I EVER learn?!!!

After being burned at one point of purchasing a counterfeit bottle of Coco EdP, I am now faced with a possible counterfeit purse spray bottle of No. 19 Parfum purchased from eBay.

I've smelled No. 19 EdP and EdT, but not the parfum. The alarms however went off in my head because smelling the parfum I acquired smelled terrible. First off, it smelled like the notes had gone off, no sign of aldehydes (can't tell because the topnotes had gone off), and no sign of its powdery iris, oakmoss and no woody notes at the base either! Just a lot of rose vetiver and neroli. Now, I've heard that the 3 versions are different, but I don't think it would be that much different. The juice is amber colored, but I've read that there have been amber colored and green colored versions of the parfum.

This is for the scent itself--the box and bottle is another thing of concern. The box is strange--it does have black and gold lettering, but the black lettering has faint opalescent particles in it if you tilt the box in the light, and the letters are not raised.

I found some sort of lot number on the cellophane, but none whatsoever on the box. The perfume spray bottle doesn't have any corresponding number, etched or printed!

The English instructions that came with the box had a misspelled word and the (broken) English was terrible!

If this doesn't say counterfeit, I don't know what does!

I'm currently disputing it, arrangements are being made to compare it with another bottle face to face with the seller's daughter. It's probably going to be another counterfeit bottle.

I can't leave any room for doubt and I'm hoping if anyone could lend some of your expertise with the smell of No. 19 parfum and if the boxes you've owned resembled anything like the one I described above. Any help from anyone would be great!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: When will I EVER learn?!!!

The vintage juice is golden with only a faint greenish tinge. I think the only parfum spray is the refillable purse spray--at least that is the only one I have seen. The case is silvery-gray, in case that helps. One of my vintage boxes does not have raised letters, nor does it have gold printing or any numbering. It could just be that the juice is old and has gone off, although the broken English instructions sound strange.

All my vintage No.19 parfums have a nice galbanum green on top, with a rose heart, a mossy base and a sweet musk in the very deep drydown.

Hi Asha, thanks for replying. Do you catch any powdery notes at all from your vintage No. 19? Are there any opal colored flecks in the black lettering?

I'm surprised there isn't any lot number on the bottle. Even my vintage tester bottle of Coco parfum has a lot number etched on it.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I think my one of my No.19 vintage bottles is older than the oldest bottle of Coco ever made, so I can accept that things might have been different at the time it was manufactured. As far as opal goes--do you mean it is irridescent? No boxes of mine from Chanel have irridescent printing. Most are only black and sometimes gold, depending on the era or the packaging and type of fragrance.

Is No 19 a frequent counterfeit? I thought it was too rare a taste to be worth the bother for the fakers....

And, yes, Asha also has a good point about the timing. No 19 came out in 1971, and Coco wasn't released until 1985 or 1986, if I remember. (I'm still choking on calling the 1980's "vintage." I'm old.)

Sorry I forgot to answer about the powder--yes, No.19 is rather powdery too, at least in the middle and late stages. The top is really alot more green.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I think my one of my No.19 vintage bottles is older than the oldest bottle of Coco ever made, so I can accept that things might have been different at the time it was manufactured. As far as opal goes--do you mean it is irridescent? No boxes of mine from Chanel have irridescent printing. Most are only black and sometimes gold, depending on the era or the packaging and type of fragrance.
    It's black ink, but I noticed an iridescence to it when I hold it under fluorescent lighting, but perhaps it's more my paranoia than anything.

And I suppose it's safe to say that Chanel did not create lot numbers until some time in the 80s. I'm surprised to think that this bottle is very vintage--what's more a possible vintage counterfeit!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Is No 19 a frequent counterfeit? I thought it was too rare a taste to be worth the bother for the fakers....

And, yes, Asha also has a good point about the timing. No 19 came out in 1971, and Coco wasn't released until 1985 or 1986, if I remember. (I'm still choking on calling the 1980's "vintage." I'm old.)
    I thought the same thing too, Mo. No. 19 is so obscure and I never thought or noticed it as popular enough to counterfeit.

I'm sure we're all feeling vintage ourselves when we can speak of the 80's that way. It's even a harsher reality check when you know of children born in that era and now can legally drink!

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Sorry I forgot to answer about the powder--yes, No.19 is rather powdery too, at least in the middle and late stages. The top is really alot more green.
    I get a lot of rose at those stages. It is rather green in the beginning stages, but not as green and high pitched as the EdT. I can't sniff out those powdered iris notes--not like what I've noticed in the EdT and EdP.

I can't get over the perfume's longevity--it does last a good long while. Not usually the hallmark of a counterfeiter's work.

Regardless, if there's this much doubt about it, I can still refuse it on the basis that it has gone bad, despite their efforts to replace it.

Big thanks Asha and Mo!! :toppie:

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

iMaverick--the vintage parfum is plenty rosy, and it is indeed more subdued than the EDP. From your description, it sounds pretty much like it should. I just can't imagine the ink flecks and poor instructions, though.

Just wanted to let you know what came about with all of this. I met with the seller's daughter, very nice and gracious and indeed had good knowledge of perfumes. Turns out that her mother (the seller) has had a store and everything selling luxury perfumes and cosmetics.

I handed her the purse spray and she agreed that it had gone bad. Instead of another purse spray to exchange however, she had a vintage bottle of the splash. The bottle was perfectly sealed, onion skin plastic around the mouth of the bottle and all. It even had a lot number on the bottle which was a relief to me. Even the feel of the box was the same as that of my more recent bottle of Cuir de Russie parfum, which is basically a black plastic box with textured paper overlaid over it which means there is some familiar consistency despite their ages.

The juice is sublime...vintage formula from France. Dark golden color with a faint trace of green, just like you said Asha. The purse spray was an orange amber--hmmm. Anyway, the development smells right. Green topnotes that warm up with definite rosy notes. I've tried some on skin, and right now as I write this, it's at the sharp and mossy phase, and no doubt I will catch more hints of leather and a musky base later on.

Bottom line...to compare it with the purse spray bottle, this splash bottle is easily recognizable. Despite that the seller has been in the business of perfumes for a long time as I understand it, I have a feeling she was given a batch of counterfeit bottles from her distributor. I gotta admit there was some good details to make it almost indistinguishable from the real thing, but as I've mentioned, there were minute things that were questionable.

I feel so much better now. I can boldy scratch off vintage N19 from my wishlist.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 10th July 2009 at 11:12 PM.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Sounds like you got a great specimen. It sure must feel good to have a beautiful fragrance, and that dealings with an eBay seller CAN have happy endings
    Last edited by Asha; 10th July 2009 at 11:26 PM.

All with thanks to you, Asha. I wouldn't have been able to really recognize the rare animal if it weren't for you. :bounce:

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!