Code of Conduct

Default ... Smokey Vanille ...

I was so surprised discovering this scent. A heavy smokey vanille scent.

Eav des Bavx, from L'Occitane, a name that I almost don't get any intestested at all.

This scent is a simple but wonderful combination between soft sweet vanille and dry smokey incense. So beautiful, so attractive. Natural, and longlasting.

It's under 50 $ for a 100ml bottle. And I can't be more happier.

Default Re: ... Smokey Vanille ...

Another all-time favorite of mine is Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal. It is extremely smoky and sweet at the same time. Absolutely addictive!

Chocolateguy, have you by any chance tried Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille? If so, how does this one fare against it? Thanks!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I own Eau de Baux and it is excellent, though I think of it more of an incense over amber instead of smokey vanilla. Regardless it's great. There is little relation to SDV, which gets its smokiness from vanilla pods.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post

Eav des Bavx, from L'Occitane, a name that I almost don't get any intestested at all.

This scent is a simple but wonderful combination between soft sweet vanille and dry smokey incense. So beautiful, so attractive. Natural, and longlasting.

I sampled this last week for the first time and was very impressed. The amber notes reminded me of SL Ambre Sultan.

Thanks for your comment Shermanirving!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post

Eau des Bavx, from L'Occitane, a name that I almost don't get any interested at all.

Chocolateguy:

I own and LOVE Eau des Bavx. But on my skin it is all about incense and cypress, really beautifully done, especially for the price that L'Occitane asks. This just demonstrates the difference in skin chemistry, because I really do not get any vanilla at all from this fragrance.

If you have not already, please try Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Almost impossible to acquire at discount, but it is on my list as my next major fragrance purchase.

Best,

TJ

Exclamation Re: ... Smokey Vanille ...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Chocolateguy, have you by any chance tried Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille? If so, how does this one fare against it? Thanks!
    Maybe I should ask YOU this question.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Chocolateguy:

I own and LOVE Eau des Bavx. But on my skin it is all about incense and cypress, really beautifully done, especially for the price that L'Occitane asks. This just demonstrates the difference in skin chemistry, because I really do not get any vanilla at all from this fragrance.

If you have not already, please try Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Almost impossible to acquire at discount, but it is on my list as my next major fragrance purchase.

Best,

TJ
    I have and love TF's Tobacco Vanille, but still feel unfulfilled without Eau de Baux which is in my wishlist. I have not smelled it yet, but just "know" it is for me. And i am serious.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

@ Tigerjuice: I own Tobacco Vanille, too. I love it, but on me, the longervity is not so good. Anyway, this Tobacco is incredible sexy

@ Tarpagas: on me, Bavx is not sweet at all. This scent seems so wonderful, cause it changes beautifully and diffirently on each's skin chemistry. Besides, I do love Serge Lutens Ambre

@ Shermanirving: I'm so wondering this scent on you I think I should experience more about L'Occitane scents.

@ Merlino : I tried Guerlain Vanille. Unfortunately, it didn't work well on me. I think this unisex Vanille is better for women. It's sweet, amber, and not so smoky. Guerlain Vanille is more complex than L'Occitane Bavx, but the longervity is poorer.

@ Scent: I love your comment about Goutal Vanille, next time fly to Paris, I will test it for sure

I had Chanel Egoiste on my wishlist, but now I have Eau des Baux, I don't need Egoiste anymore. Eau des Baux is a heavier, spicier vanilla woody oriental than Egoiste, which is smoother and creamier (thanks to the rosewood, I suppose), but they have the same vibe.

I really didn't like Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan or Arabie, although I have to say Eau des Baux treads lightly in that direction, but not as all-out Asian herb/medicine store kinda like.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 6th July 2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

L'Occitane fragrances are a tremendous value - definitely best 'bang for the buck' out there. $44/100ml for EdTs and $64/100ml EdPs. Their Vetyver is great, the Cedar and Iris EdPs, and I really like the new Honey & Lemon EdT.

I have Eau des Baux and I find it an incense frag with loads of cypress. And I love it from the first sniff.

Well, Tobacco Vanille might be what you're looking for. But if you want to try a designer scent then have a look at Tommy Bahama, although not strong in vanilla.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Habanita: smoky vetiver and vanilla

Eau des Baux is a great scent from l"Occitane--lasts forever. The spirit of the Crusades in a bottle.

Sur la Plage

I really like Eau des Baux also. But "smokey vanilla" is not the first thing it makes me think of.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Two more candidates for 'smoky vanilla':

PdN Vanille Tonka
    Indult Tihota

Both worth sampling!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Vanille 44 by Le Labo, though it's hard to find and expensive.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like Eau des Baux also. But "smokey vanilla" is not the first thing it makes me think of.....
    I thought I was the only one. Me too.

I find Eau des Baux more incensey than smokey but you say tomatoe and I say tomato. Also, check out Bulgari Black for an intense lesson in smokey vanilla.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Vanille 44 by Le Labo, though it's hard to find and expensive.
    Is it good? and what would you compare it to?

btw, is that a 'city exclusive'? I did not see it at luckyscent among the LL they carry...
    Last edited by kess; 7th July 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Patchouli 24.
    Tar.
    Smoke.
    Creamy Vanilla.
    That is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Is it good? and what would you compare it to?

btw, is that a 'city exclusive'? I did not see it at luckyscent among the LL they carry...
    Yes it's exclusive to Paris. It's somewhat similiar to the London exclusive Poivre 23. It starts as a smoky, peppery vanilla, then gets slightly creamy (in the manner of LaddM), and mellows out into balsamic vanillic overtones. Yummm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Yes it's exclusive to Paris. It's somewhat similiar to the London exclusive Poivre 23. It starts as a smoky, peppery vanilla, then gets slightly creamy (in the manner of LaddM), and mellows out into balsamic vanillic overtones. Yummm!!!
    thanks! sounds interesting

Another frag you might like is Kenzo's Amour EdP. Barbara Bui is similar, but the incense/sandalwood is too pronounced in that one for me. I actually added vanilla extract to Barbara Bui and it was quite a good combination, but it was mostly vanilla, as BB is super strong.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th July 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Another frag you might like is Kenzo's Amour EdP.
    hmm, i do get a lot of vanilla in that one, but i don't get 'smoky'

need to revisit my sample

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    hmm, i do get a lot of vanilla in that one, but i don't get 'smoky'

need to revisit my sample
    If you find a Kenzo Amour + smokiness, do let me know!

I've tried Eau de Baux twice and am still not impressed. It's not for me, I guess, although I am interested in incense note. Moreover, L'Occitane scents go for $65 for 100mL.

Gotta agree with two already mentioned .
    Eau De Baux & Habanita
    Plus also mention a cheapie Cube Gold .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Institution

I have to agree with manicboy, Bulgari Black is one smoky vanilla.

I don't get much vanilla from Eau des Baux. Though it is sweet, definitely, and vanilla is in the list of notes, it's just not there for me. I get mostly cypress and incense, which is why I love the scent, but for a smoky vanilla, I'll go with Black or TV.
    Last edited by curtis.w; 12th October 2009 at 06:25 PM.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

SDV for vanille all the way

I'm not calling anyone out, but for those that don't get much vanilla in Eau de Baux, have you worn it throughout its entire evolution. Way WAY into the drydown the vanilla blooms, and is huge after about 4 hours or so. Up to that point I would definitely agree, that it is far more about incense than vanilla. Either way it's a definite winner.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm not calling anyone out, but for those that don't get much vanilla in Eau de Baux, have you worn it throughout its entire evolution. Way WAY into the drydown the vanilla blooms, and is huge after about 4 hours or so. Up to that point I would definitely agree, that it is far more about incense than vanilla. Either way it's a definite winner.
    I have, and I own a full bottle, though it's possible my memory is a bit shoddy on the deep drydown as I haven't worn it on its own in a while, probably close to a year; I wore it last week, but over the top of Kiehl's Original Musk EDT. To me, EdB is intensely dry, even more so than Gucci pour Homme, and in warmer weather, I can't help but feel pretty itchy all over when I wear it I'll try EdB again tomorrow and see if I can't pull out more vanilla in the drydown.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla is great stuff )

Quote Originally Posted by curtis.w View Post
    I have, and I own a full bottle, though it's possible my memory is a bit shoddy on the deep drydown as I haven't worn it on its own in a while, probably close to a year; I wore it last week, but over the top of Kiehl's Original Musk EDT. To me, EdB is intensely dry, even more so than Gucci pour Homme, and in warmer weather, I can't help but feel pretty itchy all over when I wear it I'll try EdB again tomorrow and see if I can't pull out more vanilla in the drydown.
    Oh, I agree it's dry, in fact the vanilla I smell isn't the lush variety.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Yep, I just got a bottle of this one, actually quite early in my collection. It really caught my attention. I like the hint of vanilla with what I had previously called "smokey", but I think you guys are right, it's more like a deep incense. I really like this one and have been recommending it for as long as I've been around here...

I agree that Bvlgari Black and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla are along similar lines...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I thought I was the only one. Me too.
    Me neither !!! ... I got it specifically because of all the talk of vanilla here. But being a vanillaholic it just didn't have anywhere near what I needed in the vanilla department. ... I too got mostly wood (cypress) and incense ! ... With just a touch of vanilla coming out at the very very very end, which was hardly worth mentioning (on my skin anyway !) ...

So for me, it was very far removed from the smoky vanilla I wished for unfortunately !

In fact , I have found many wonderful straight vanilla vanillas, but none have yet given me that smoky vibe I search for. ... And when I say smoky, I don't mean incense smoke, nor do I mean tobacco smoke ... I mean real "campfire" like smoke smoky (like "cade" smoky !)

So still very much on that search ! ???? .... So if anyone has one that fits the description, please do let me know ! ... (And no SDV didn't do it for me either ! (Though I still luv it for it's tobacco/incense/vanilla !)

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post

Sorry but this is incorrect ! ... Patchouli 24 is not a Paris exclusive or a city exclusive at all, in fact ! ... You should be able to get it at any Le Labo !

The Paris exclusive is Vanille 44 !

EDIT : Oops, I think there was a bit of a cross posting, and you were answering two people. So I may have misread your reply !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 13th October 2009 at 02:45 AM.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

I bought Eau de Baux 2 weeks ago and love it--the vanilla does show nicely in the drydown and has great longevity. I also own and love Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille---this just might be my family Christmas party SOTD. I love Bulgari Black but some reason I don't wear it much. Bought La Labo Patchouli 24 in NYC this summer---love it too. My one friend says I smell like an old woman in Patchouli 24.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Okay. I'm wearing Eau des Baux today, and I definitely smell vanilla. In fact, I sprayed it on before heading to work and asked my girlfriend if she smelled vanilla too, and she did as well, even in the top notes. So, I was wrong in my recollection. Apologies.

Patchouli 24 is awesome, but it's a bit insane. Bulgari Black is like Patchouli 24 Eau Fraiche, so go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Me neither !!! ... I got it specifically because of all the talk of vanilla here. But being a vanillaholic it just didn't have anywhere near what I needed in the vanilla department. ... I too got mostly wood (cypress) and incense ! ... With just a touch of vanilla coming out at the very very very end, which was hardly worth mentioning (on my skin anyway !) ...

So for me, it was very far removed from the smoky vanilla I wished for unfortunately !

In fact , I have found many wonderful straight vanilla vanillas, but none have yet given me that smoky vibe I search for. ... And when I say smoky, I don't mean incense smoke, nor do I mean tobacco smoke ... I mean real "campfire" like smoke smoky (like "cade" smoky !)

So still very much on that search ! ???? .... So if anyone has one that fits the description, please do let me know ! ... (And no SDV didn't do it for me either ! (Though I still luv it for it's tobacco/incense/vanilla !)
    I suppose in theory you could always layer... so mixing something dark and woody like Gucci homme with SDV??? maybe if you can't find what you're looking for, then just "make it" yourself!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I suppose in theory you could always layer... so mixing something dark and woody like Gucci homme with SDV??? maybe if you can't find what you're looking for, then just "make it" yourself!
    Believe me I have been trying ! (making my own that is !) ... Unfortunately I have also not yet been able to find a vanilla absolute that I'm totally happy with, to use in my own blends. The search continues .....