Code of Conduct

Default Would you give a house a THIRD chance if

the first two forays let you down?

Based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews for Lorenzo Villoresi, I sampled Uomo and Musk. Unfortunately I really don't get all the fuss. Uomo is green but too sour, Musk is very soapy and smells synthetic to me.

Now I am interested in the description of Yabamate, but I am not sure how much likely I will enjoy it when the classics failed to impress?

What about you? is there such a less popular scent that managed to save the day?

AromiErotici

Default Re: Would you give a house a THIRD chance if

Only if members whose reviews have previously resulted in positive blind buys or samplings were to give it the thumbs up.

Sure I would give them a third chance.

But samples only!

At least for me, I only fall in love with about 5% of what I test. A significant percentage are disappointing or uninteresting to me.

Yes, first since there are many houses of which I both deplore and adore numerous frags (Lutens, Creed, Guerlain...); second, because it's Villoresi. You should certainly check out Piper Nigrum, Incensi, Spezie Vetiver, and, if you like classic colognes, Acqua di Colonia.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Yeah, sure...why not? A house can have one clear winner......and when the house in question is Lorenze Villoresi, I'd say yes yes yes.....

I've just tried LV Sandalo and LV Uomo....Sandalo is awesome....very real sandalwood.....Uomo smells like 'Tiger balm' to me but I have to give it a thorough testing before I make a judgement.

Like previous posters, I'd say yes -- give it another go! What's there to lose? The more things you get to sample -- the better! I've turned down many houses in the past only to find myself in love with some of their other creations I didn't make any effort in trying initially. (e.g. Annick Goutal, Lutens, etc) BUT, since the house in question is Lorenzo Villoresi, I'd personally say no no no. (But that's just me... my friend, and Luca Turin)
    Last edited by moltening; 6th July 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Another way to look at this is this: what house with 15+ scents doesn't have at least 2 duds in anyone's opinion? For me, probably none. For most of us, none or very few.

Sur la Plage

Yes. I don't judge a house - I judge individual fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Another way to look at this is this: what house with 15+ scents doesn't have at least 2 duds in anyone's opinion? For me, probably none. For most of us, none or very few.
    What you said is mostly true, but what are the chances of picking two duds on first try? And I am sure most Basenoters here will disagree Uomo is a dud^.^

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    That's pretty much my thought exactly. I try not to make any judgments or form opinions about an entire house until I've sampled all or almost all their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by CDG View Post
    And I am sure most Basenoters here will disagree Uomo is a dud^.^
    If you define "dud" as ten positives, one neutral and no negatives then, yes, Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo is a dud.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Like previous posters, I'd say yes -- give it another go! What's there to lose? The more things you get to sample -- the better!
    Problem is, right now due to time/money constraints, I am only looking for a bottle or two of what I can call my signature scent. Having said that, I think two or three samples each house will suffice. If even those universally loved classics can't impress, then maybe I should just move on. I am very practical*V*

Problem is, right now due to time/money constraints, I am only looking for a bottle or two of what I can call my signature scent. Having said that, I think two or three samples each house will suffice. If even those universally loved classics can't impress, then maybe I should just move on. I am very practical*V*
    Perhaps the thing to do is not constrain yourself to a house, but to figure out what might be viable in view of what you already like.

Finding a fragrance is not an easy thing, but it is certainly rewarding, and it can be fun.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 6th July 2009 at 02:32 PM.

I am only looking for a bottle or two of what I can call my signature scent.
    I took a quick look at your previous posts and didn't see what I was looking for, perhaps you can help us help you.

What is your current signature scent?
    What kinds of fragrances do you prefer?
    What notes or combination of notes do you like?
    Have you become familiar with the different fragrance families (e.g. Michael Edwards) and tried to figure out which ones you like and dislike?

A word of caution, most of our noses change dramatically in the first six months after starting this hobby. Keep your samples and revisit them periodically. I think you will be amazed at how some of the ones you initially reject turn out to be your favorites in the long run. I know it amazed me.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    . . . most of our noses change dramatically in the first six months after starting this hobby. Keep your samples and revisit them periodically. I think you will be amazed at how some of the ones you initially reject turn out to be your favorites in the long run. I know it amazed me.
    Words of wisdom This was the case for me and now I seldom judge a scent until I have tried it at least 3 times over time . . . what's the hurry, anyway? I see even quite seasoned reviewers here going back 6 months after the event to switch positions one way or the other once they have spent a bit of time with a scent . . . so be it.

Coincidentally I'm wearing Yerbamate today - I like it a lot, along with Uomo, which is also a real favourite.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th July 2009 at 03:35 PM.

quick search for signature scent?
    hmmm, smells to me like googling for some trendy mobile phone music...
    the faster, the more rough is choice.

Just leave LV for now, maybe you find your Holy Graal somewhere else. The good thing is - you could change your mind and signature scent anytime.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Yerbamate is quite different from Uomo and Musk. Give it a try and it would settle down to a balsamic green scent. Not the tipical signature scent, but you may like it regardless of the previous failures.

It's funny the timing of this thread. I am completely enamored with the aesthetic of Lorenzo Villoresi's scents. The descriptions, the bottles, everything is very appealing. That being said, I have tried Uomo and Piper Nigrum and have been dissapointed with both. Uomo was merely average to me, nothing exciting and Piper Nigrum was out and out unpleasant. So, two strikes against them, yet I am still actively pursuing this line, hopefully I find something I like.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Let's say a house has 31 scents in their catalog, and I've tested (and hated) the first 30.......

...I'm testing the last one.

Be thorough, or you might miss something.

I don't see why not, everyone strikes out sometimes.

Oh, and definitely try the other Villoresi's.
    A relative wears his scents and while I wouldn't wear them, I respect them and their quality/artisticness (LOL)

Dependent

Does it count or help that it took me giving Kouros and M7 more than 5 chances each to put it modestly, before falling quite strongly in love with them?

I like and agree with TwoRoads' implication that the exposure to the vast influence and exposure to BN alone can really affect the way you would want to experience frags that could have been instant turnoffs initially.

And signature scents change all so often with discoveries, rediscoveries, releases, re-launches, re-formulations etc.

side note: both M7 and Fahrenheit are stinkers to many, but the latter was an instant hit for me and still remains one of my personal faves, the former I didn't in my wildest imagination would have guess I'd have back ups of back then, but i now know why. It took more than 6 mths with m7 btw.
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th July 2009 at 07:41 PM.

I NEVER write off an entire house based on sampling a few of their fragrances. If I did, I would not have bought and enjoyed Burberry London, if I stopped sniffing their offerings after my first few disappointments.

That's why I don't like slamming a house based on a few samples.

Keep sampling Lorenzo Villoresi, you may not like any of them. But then again, you may discover your Holly Grail!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I'll be the odd one out...I say move on.

If I try a few scents from a company that dislike them, I'll probably move on to another company. Sure, there may be something in their line that I end up liking, but unless I can smell them for free (ie - locally without ordering samples), I wouldn't be bothered. There are just *too* many companies out there....and my attention span is short.

Having said that...doesn't mean I won't make my way back to that house at some point.

Uomo is pretty conservative, and Piper Nigrum is from LV's "Fantasy Fragrance" collection, which are oddball fragrances to some.

I own Vetiver, Uomo, Piper Nigrum and fully intend on buying Incensi and perhaps Sandalo at some point. I'm not really enamoured with Yerbamate or Spezie - the latter being way too cluttered and loaded with spices for me.

As Gupts said, Sandalo is remarkably smooth and beautiful. The dry-down is fantastic, but there's a touch of something in there that made it seem a bit unwearable to me - nothing harsh or "animalistic", rather, it was a floral that masked the raw, true beauty of the sandalwood.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It's funny the timing of this thread. I am completely enamored with the aesthetic of Lorenzo Villoresi's scents. The descriptions, the bottles, everything is very appealing. That being said, I have tried Uomo and Piper Nigrum and have been dissapointed with both. Uomo was merely average to me, nothing exciting and Piper Nigrum was out and out unpleasant. So, two strikes against them, yet I am still actively pursuing this line, hopefully I find something I like.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I'll be the odd one out...I say move on.

If I try a few scents from a company that dislike them, I'll probably move on to another company. Sure, there may be something in their line that I end up liking, but unless I can smell them for free (ie - locally without ordering samples), I wouldn't be bothered. There are just *too* many companies out there....and my attention span is short.

Having said that...doesn't mean I won't make my way back to that house at some point.
    See I agree to an extent with you, if I start to see a general pattern that links a line's scent together that I dislike then I agree to move on (ex. Miller Harris), chances are you won't find anything you like, and if you do it most likely won't be worth the price paid to sample them. But, there are many lines where I like one or two scents and abhor the rest (ex. Amouage). If I didn't put in the time to sample most of the line I would have missed out on one of the most amazing scents I have ever experienced in Dia for Men.

Edit: The above theory is made all the more complicated when you are dealing with a house that has a wide range of styles and scents like Creed for example.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 6th July 2009 at 09:35 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

My friend, with full credit and utmost enviousness,have mercy and slow down! my rate : 5 scents from a single niche house, your rate: 5 full niche house lines. lol

That applies to Moltening too!

See I agree to an extent with you, if I start to see a general pattern that links a line's scent together that I dislike then I agree to move on (ex. Miller Harris), chances are you won't find anything you like, and if you do it most likely won't be worth the price paid to sample them. But, there are so many lines where I like one or two scents and abhor the rest (ex. Amouage). If I didn't put in the time to sample most of the line I would have missed out on one of the most amazing scents I have ever experienced in Dia for Men.

Edit: The above theory is made all the more complicated when you are dealing with a house that has a wide range of styles and scents like Creed for example.
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th July 2009 at 09:01 PM.

I think everyone just wants desperately to fall in love with the scents that everyone else loves and raves about. I do not think it is always possible to find something in every house for every person.
    There are some houses of which I own every scent, there are quite a few (which people rave about on here) that I can not even find a single scent out of 15 that interests me.
    Try as many scents as you want, but realize that there are just some houses that will not rouse your fragrant lust.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    My friend, with full credit and utmost enviousness,have mercy and slow down! my rate : 5 scents from a single niche house, your rate: 5 full niche house lines. lol

That applies to Moltening too!
    Matt, I know you're not gonna believe this but I only sample maybe 5 scents a week. I just put in an order from samples at either TPC or Luckyscent and do it so that I generally have one or two scents to try. You see, I rarely if ever try out a whole line, especially if the line has more than say 5 scents. Just some houses (again Miller Harris), after 2 or perhaps 3 scents I started to sense a similarity to all of them that I dislike. There are many MANY members on here that make my sampling look like nothing at all.

CDG: if you spend enough time on this site you'll abandon the notion of a signaure scent and be like many of who rarely wear the same scent more then once a month :-)

Well, I have two answers to this question. My first is that I find that if I sample several scents whose descriptions sound good to me from a house and just don't like any of them, I move on. HOWEVER, I love Lorenzo Villoresi and the two of his fragrances you have tried are not among my favorites. I think Uomo is nice, but not something that excites me and Musk is likewise nice, but a bit too feminine for my taste. My absolute favorites are Vetiver, Yerbamate, Piper Nigrum, and Spezie. So, I'd strongly encourage you to try at least a few more before you throw in the towel on LV. I've tried many, many Serge Lutens fragrances and have only found three I like, so I really do think you owe it to yourself to try several scents before writing off any of the really highly regarded houses.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I think everyone just wants desperately to fall in love with the scents that everyone else loves and raves about. I do not think it is always possible to find something in every house for every person.
    There are some houses of which I own every scent, there are quite a few (which people rave about on here) that I can not even find a single scent out of 15 that interests me.
    Try as many scents as you want, but realize that there are just some houses that will not rouse your fragrant lust.
    Very well put.
    Personally it intrigues me when i realize how others enjoy a certain scent that may not interest me initially, there are some that I still dont get, but Im never going to be certain if my taste were to change later, so yeah i guess just wear what is currently good for you and then try those highly hyped (but not personally satisfying), another time, if they do genuinely still cause curiosity and added fun to adventure.

Matt, I know you're not gonna believe this but I only sample maybe 5 scents a week. I just put in an order from samples at either TPC or Luckyscent and do it so that I generally have one or two scents to try. You see, I rarely if ever try out a whole line, especially if the line has more than say 5 scents. Just some houses (again Miller Harris), after 2 or perhaps 3 scents I started to sense a similarity to all of them that I dislike. There are many MANY members on here that make my sampling look like nothing at all.
    Only? *faints* lol 5 scents a week is quite alot right? thats a new scent each day and only signature scents on weekends. I do believe that others are fantastic with niche, but you do appear to be the few that are pro-active with discoveries and experiences. Anyways, ive benefited from your inputs, so no complains

Well. I think being put off twice is a reason to stay away for a while. I prefer fragrance promiscuity. Maybe I would try 'harder' when 'niche' is concerned. But if I think, e.g., of Hugo Boss... I can't say I'm eager to find out what a better scent of that company might be (although at least one of them is said to be relatively good).

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Very well put.
    Personally it intrigues me when i realize how others enjoy a certain scent that may not interest me initially, there are some that I still dont get, but Im never going to be certain if my taste were to change later, so yeah i guess just wear what is currently good for you and then try those highly hyped (but not personally satisfying), another time, if they do genuinely still cause curiosity and added fun to adventure.

Only? *faints* lol 5 scents a week is quite alot right? thats a new scent each day and only signature scents on weekends. I do believe that others are fantastic with niche, but you do appear to be the few that are pro-active with discoveries and experiences. Anyways, ive benefited from your inputs, so no complains
    No no no. I don't wear only that scent on a day. When I sample they are merely wrist tests. I wear my signature or regular drobe scents everyday, and at night I test my samples.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I took a quick look at your previous posts and didn't see what I was looking for, perhaps you can help us help you.

What is your current signature scent?
    What kinds of fragrances do you prefer?
    What notes or combination of notes do you like?
    Have you become familiar with the different fragrance families (e.g. Michael Edwards) and tried to figure out which ones you like and dislike?
    1.Not using any scent currently, looking to buy Sequoia soon

2.Prefer natural smell, comforting scent, refined, masculine,moderate silage and good longevity, suitable for everyday wear

3.Love woody,citrus, a little gourmand is okay, a little floral is okay too if done in a Voleur de Rose manner

4.Likes: Sequoia,Kyoto,Timbutku,GIT,Burberry London, NO.88, Citrus Paradisi

Slightly interested: Coze, C&S Cuba, L'eau de Navigateur, Hinoki, Mechant Loup

Dislikes: Silver Mountain Water(used to like it, now become synthetic), Baie de Genevrie(good opening, disappointing drydown), CDG 2MAN(opening big turn-off, drydown too similiar to Timbutku), Terre D'Hermes(synthetic), Himalaya( very average for a Creed), Geo. F Trumpers Colognes( terrible longevity)

On my to-try list (please comment) CDG the rest of Incense and Red series. AdP Colonia Intensa, New York, Endymion, Knize Ten
    Last edited by CDG; 7th July 2009 at 12:04 PM.

I tend to echo most of what has been said before but with one difference. Most of the Houses have scents created by many different noses and are not so monolithic in style that it is easy to know the whole House through trying just a couple of scents. For lines where there is clealy one nose working I think it might be possible to realize you don't care for that particular perfumer's style. I'm thinking of lines like Serge Lutens or Parfumerie Generale as respectively Christopher Sheldrake and Pierre Guillaume have very definitely placed their personal stamps on those lines. I think in those cases after trying a couple you could realize this style of perfume is not for me and fairly confidently move on.
    All of that comes with the concern that even in a field of olfactory weeds one rose might be growing and so you should always be open to trying something through sampling if it sounds like something you mightlike even if the house has disappointed you in the past.
    Good luck on your hunt I'm sure there is a House out there that will knock your socks off.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post

I agree with every word you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Most of the Houses have scents created by many different noses and are not so monolithic in style that it is easy to know the whole House through trying just a couple of scents.
    Good point, as you probably have noticed there's a pattern in my listed favorites, Timbutku, Kyoto, Sequoia, all of them created by Bertrand Duchaufour. I think it's interesting since I never pay attention to who's behind a fragrance until I took a liking to it, the fact my top three favorites were all created by the same guy never ceases to amaze me.
    Last edited by CDG; 7th July 2009 at 12:25 PM.

Depends a lot, but even if I'd be slightly biased at first, there are always surprises waiting to be discovered.

Yes I would give them a third chance and a fourth if needed. But try other houses too. A couple of truisms come to mind here. "You have to open a lot of clams to find a pearl!" "you've got to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince" . . . and so on and on.

Read the reviews on basenotes and other sites about the fragrances from houses before selecting samples or making purchases. You may start to see a pattern of particular perfumers or reviewers who have noses that you can agree with. There are reviewers though whose reviews I would never miss but whose taste in fragrance is always very different from mine.

Keep trying and eventually you will find what works.