Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Iris Gris by Jacques Fath returns...well, sort of

Interesting post today on The Scented Salamander.

Apparently the license holders for the now defunct fragrances from Jacques Fath, have quietly announced that they are revamping Iris Gris by Jacques Fath and re-introducing it under a new name, Irissime.

I think this is big news, no?

According to the article, they were not allowed to name it Iris Gris, because the trademark to the name had expired and thereafter it was legally renewed by Hermes Perfumes.

The new formula, an EdP done by Marie Salamagne (AA Laurier Reglisse and AA Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain; the Greta Garbo Gres' trio; etc) is already on sale already at First in Fragrance for 88 Euros for a 100 ml bottle.

Wow!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Default Re: Iris Gris by Jacques Fath returns...well, sort of

Yeah I read about this today in TSS I think. I was going to make a post, but you beat me to the punch . I've never tried Iris Gris, and always wanted to after reading how many people praise it as a "masterpiece" and "the greatest perfume ever" and so on. Iris is also one of my favorite notes, so I will am eagorly awaiting trying it.

When I first read the title of this thread, my heart literally skipped a beat. Could it be true? Then I read this...

"...Irissime was created by Marie Salamagne of Firmenich. Fabrice Biré views the new perfume as "a homage paid to a mythical perfume", Iris Gris, rather than a faithful historical reconstitution of it..."

No doubt this concoction is simply lovely but it is not, by their own admittance, Iris Gris. When and if Panouge actually recreates the original (using the crucial orris concrete), I will pony up whatever it takes to nab a bottle.

(BTW, you can pick up a teeny little sample of the real thing at The Perfumed Court for a small ransom but I guarantee that if you treasure great fragrances, it is well worth the price. Fath Iris Gris is a real work of art.)

Once again, when they add the key-phrase, "a modern interpretation", I can not become too excited. Plus they even reference how cost prohibitive it would be to reissue the "original" formulation.
    But it will sell and in a big way I am sure.
    I will just rest happy to smell the original my next time in Versailles.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th July 2009 at 11:31 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

I've tried the original and found it soapy and bland. It's one of the "legendary" fragrances whose appeal really eludes me, and I have to wonder if it would be as famous if it was released today, amid the glut of iris fragrances...

Anyway, with all that HYPE about Iris Gris amongst perfumaniacs, they could make a limited edition of 2000 items in Baccarat bottles, and make something like a market test "Would people buy 50 ml of the perfume for 500 euro or not?".
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I'm not a big Iris fan, but I'm curious about this, thanks for the tip.