Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile What exactly is 'Musky'?

Ok, this is probably a stupid question. I've tried searching about this and I have not found anything to satisfy me. So here it is; when someone says a fragrance smells 'musky' what exactly is he/she trying to say? What does 'musky' smell like? I hear people use that term somewhat loosely and one idea of musky is completely contradicted by someone else's. I do have some actual musk fragrances but I don't see a relation between them and the other fragrances that people call musky. So please educate me if anyone knows, I'll really appreciate it.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What exactly is 'Musky'?

Buy a bottle of Kielh's original musk or The Body Shop White Musk then you will know what musk smell like. =)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Given the variety of musks out there that smell from fruity, to 'clean laundry', to animalic, it's basically a catch-all and hence, meaningless term. I'm not the only one who thinks this - famous perfumer Alberto Morillas said something quite similar.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone with a greater knowledge of perfumery (scentemental?) Could answer better then I can, but musks are ingredients - once animal derived now mostly synthetic - whose inclusion creates an olfactory 'texture' of sorts. They have their own smells, but more likely 'musky' refers to the density they create. I'm having trouble articulating how they smell.... it's sort of like aldehydes or chypres in that one can recognize musks but not necessarily describe how they smell (or at least I'm doing a bad job).
    Last edited by shermanirving; 7th July 2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Given the variety of musks out there that smell from fruity, to 'clean laundry', to animalic, it's basically a catch-all and hence, meaningless term. I'm not the only one who thinks this - famous perfumer Alberto Morillas said something quite similar.
    I am not able to find any such quote by Alberto Morillas. What I was able to find was a book, Chemistry and Technology of Flavors and Fragrances, by David J. Rowe, which, on the contrary, credits Morillas with coining the term "white musk" (see Pages 156-57).

Post Thanks / Like

I own bottles of both scents aforementioned and I still don't get it... ?! They could not be anymore different. I think Sculpture of Soul hit the nail right on the head with this. It's just a loosely used term without a distinct meaning!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I know exactly what you're saying. I think some replies are focused more on what musky might actually be, but it sounds like you're talking about people that just loosely throw the term around, but have no idea what musk is. It annoys the heck out of me. I've found that with a lot of people that are less keen on scents or their sense of smell, they don't understand what they're smelling. It's either "fresh" or "musky." I've heard people call anything from leather to wood to vetiver "musky." If it's got aquatic or marine notes, it's "fresh."
    It's almost like a substitute for a whole list of olfactory experiences they might not be familiar with.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

So basically something "warm"... like M7, Jovan Sex Appeal for Men... etc.?