Code of Conduct

Default Montale - which?

Could you suggest any Montale fragrances that would be a must-try (for me)?

I have a huge problem with choosing a Montale fragrance - especially that every now and then they seem to launch 6-8 new scents. When I read the descriptions, I suddenly realise I NEED this scent and that scent...and every other Montale perfume. Unfortunately I cannot go through with "when in doubt which, buy all." Too much choice.

I also know that descriptions can be terribly deceiving - the only Montale I've tried so far is Black Aoud and it's more of a rose scent on me than an oud scent.

In general I'm fond of the less usual scents and my favourite ingredients are oud, incense, resins, lavender, patchouli (but not every patchouli), styrax. My favourite scent types are gourmand, leather-based, fougere, incense and atypical fresh fragrances (Shaal Nur - lemon+incense).

Default Re: Montale - which?

Of course it is impossible for me to be nearly sure what would actually be the Montales that would be right up your alley, but in my opinion you should try them as much as you can. There are loads and loads of fantastic stuff available. You can get samples of them from First in Fragrance and The Perfumed Court.

Some of my personal suggestions (for you) would be :

Aoud Lime (Very resinous and spicy lime oud scent that indeed is very different kind of take on citrus theme. Ultra strong ang pungent juice which brings literally water in my mouth - it is that delicious. It is very controversial fragrance though; not for everyone)

Blue Amber (If you like sweet and powdery amber this would be something for you)

Aoud Ambre (Not my personal favourite but I presume it would be something that you would really fancy. Aldehydic resins and patchouli are key players here as the oud stands more in the backround. Very bold and feminine.)

Sweet Oriental Dream (Again, not my favourite but as you mentioned you enjoy gourmands, who knows this would be the one you would adore...)

Chocolate Greedy (Like chocolate fragrances? If so, this definitely is worth to try)

Red Aoud (Almost edible oud scent that is very luminous and feminine with class)

Oud Cuir d`Arabie (Ravishing animalic leather. Delicious. IMO Much MUCH better than the new Aoud Leather which comes in that golden bottle)

Royal Oud (Pretty much towards masculine side but still very wearable by women too. Strong oud with dark leather notes accented by very tart and sour citrus notes. The smell is able to remind me of fresh from the oven rye bread.)

On my self my top 5 of Montales would be :

1. Black Aoud (normal as well as the one with extra concentration. This extra concentration is less rosy than the normal version whereas the resins come out much more)

2. Steam Aoud (almost totally one singular note fragrance of high quality oud, with only small herbaceous tinge and the feel of polished woods)

3. Oud Cuir d`Arabie

4. Royal Oud

5. Aoud Lime
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 3rd July 2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typos. lots of typos.

Thank you so much! Suggestions shortlisted!

I will agree with Royal Aoud and even Steam Aoud, though a lot of people don't like it.

If you are not getting much aoud out of Black Aoud, then I am not sure anything in the Montale aoud line will satisfy you. People generally look at black aoud as a "benchmark" of sorts.

On the gourmand side, perhaps Vanila Absolu, but only if you like vanilla a lot.

I found that on my skin C&S Dark Rose beats Black Aoud hands down as regards the oud note. Or maybe I was expecting too much from Black Aoud - it has excellent silage though.

The first oud scent I tried was Micallef's Homme and that was the oud note benchmark for me for a long time.

I agree that Royal Aoud and Red Aoud would be great starting points . Attar is great stuff as is Lime Aoud but its very very strong stuff

I have not found a Montale yet that is full-bottle worthy for me. However, I do like Patchouli Leaves and Blue Amber well enough. Regarding black oud, I agree that C&S No.88 is more interesting. You may want to try some other dark rose scents before you buy, though. There was a thread on the Men's board a few months ago that had a fairly comprehensive list. I believe Le Labo Rose 31 was highly rated.

Their best gourmand imo is Sweet Oriental Dream. Also good is Red Aoud and Bois Vanille. Vanille Absolu is fairly boring.

Aoud Leather is superior to Cuir d'Arabie for its smooth leather note.

For ouds, I like White, Damascus, and Shiny.

Other random Montales I enjoy are Chypre Vanille and Velvet Flowers. Louban is insence, oud, and rose.

If you like ouds anf gourmand you really need to sample Micallefs. Vanille Aoud, Rose Aoud, and Aoud Gourmet are great and better then Montales, imo.

Have fun!

Basenotes Institution

I love Vanille Absolu - yeah , it's a bit boring but good if you love plain vanilla with a bit of smoke.
    White Aoud is gorgeous and very wearable.
    Red Aoud is spicy and sweet- a bit too spicey for me.
    Blue Amber is very very smooth and like ambre precieux by MPG
    My favourite Montales are Musk to Musk - very wonderful long lasting woody musk - very unisex. I'm dying to try Intense Tiare - gardenia !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
    I found that on my skin C&S Dark Rose beats Black Aoud hands down as regards the oud note. Or maybe I was expecting too much from Black Aoud - it has excellent silage though.
    If you like Dark Rose, do try Aoud Damascus. I can't speak as to how you will find the aoud presentation, but the roses are similar.

Thanks! Suggestion short-listed.

I'm really surprised by the oud+rose scents because I don't really like roses in perfume - except for when they're combined with oud.
    I've also sampled Micallef's Night Aoud - truly elegant and sublime (my skin soaks it up) but I find it a tad too rosy for me.
    A fragrance with a similar balance of oud and rose as C&S would be really something! Thanks for suggesting Aoud Damascus - definitely a must-try.

I'm also looking for more combinations of oud & resins as well as clear oud.

I like Black Oud, decand kindly sent to me by a fellow basenoter.

Another Montale I like: Chypre Fruit. It smells a lot like the discontinued Libertine, by Vivienne Westwood. Good lasting power.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 3rd July 2009 at 06:19 PM.

I agree that patchouli leaves is AMAZING. Maybe a little heavy for the summer. Try Aoud Saffron and Attar. I think they are both lovely and unusual yet easy to wear.

Basenotes Institution

Oh My Patchouli Leaves and I are terrible enemies - I managed to send mine off to a far off state to a person who could show it some love !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post

The first oud scent I tried was Micallef's Homme and that was the oud note benchmark for me for a long time.
    Same here. I like more Dark Rose on my skin. The aoud, saffron and rose notes are simply beautiful. Than comes the sandalwood and adds a dry, powdery note (sandalwood is not creamy on me). But overall I like more dark rose than black aoud. Black aoud after 4-5 h turns into a big patchouli note. Weird. I don't get to much rose. I love how Black Aoud begins! I wish that those saffron and aoud notes stay forever like that
    I tried
    Original Aoud - to learn the aoud note - on me it's burned, moist wood. Again weird. I can't wear it.
    White Aoud - again, I like the beginning. Creamy-soft-sweet. In the drydown I get to much amber (I wonder if it's ambergris, - a very good fixative, an explanation for the great staying power). I'm sensitive to ambergris, I don't like it on my skin - too powdery with a hint of salt, like a male's sweaty body at the seaside.
    Velvet Aoud - sweeter that White Aoud, near headache territory.
    Aoud rose petals - beginning a la black aoud but after, the main note is not the aoud but the rose. This is the beautiful rose note I have ever smelled. Sadly it fades quickly (30-40 min) and it changes into a masculine woody scent on my skin.
    Aoud queen roses - not impressed with the rose note. It leans again on the masculine side on my skin, more aoud here than in rose petals.
    Attar - goregous combination between rose and sandalwood. Even if my skin doesn't like sandalwood in general, this one is gorgeous. Some say that the aoud is missing here, some say that it is. Well, I get an aoud note, very subtle (original aoud helped me picking it).
    Blue Amber - it begins a la shalimar, with the bergamot. Actually, I got here what I wanted to smell more pronounced in the shalimar's drydown - a resinous vanilla. On me, it has a "certain" linearity, it develops slowly on the skin in 2 subtle phases, very subtle. In the drydown the amber smells a bit salty and sea like, making me think again this is ambergris and not tree resin amber. Amazing staying power!
    Bois Vanille - a great vanille for men too. Woody, dry, powdery, a hit of smoke. Not sweet though. In the drydown, again, the same patchouli note from black aoud.

I tried so hard to find my Montale but it seems my skin doesn't like them. I have an impression that somewhere they are the same. In the drydown or in the beginning. A lot of them have the combination saffron + aoud. Mostly, the aoud scents are close to the black aoud's opening. Some non aouds are close to the white aoud's ambery/vanilla drydown (which is weird because it belongs to the aoud category). Same accords but on a different scale.

If I have to pick one, it would be ... Attar, or ... Dark Rose
    Last edited by anais; 4th July 2009 at 03:26 AM.
    ~ Anais ~

Off-Scenter

Having tried many of Montale's fragrances, I find there's a lot of redundancy in the line. I'd consider Black Aoud and Oud Cuir d'Arabie to be the "must try" scents in the collection.

You should try the new Montale Pure Gold. Simply heaven,,with great staying power!!! $$$,but full bottle worthy. One of my top favorite!!

I've tried White Aoud today and then compared it with Dark Rose (again). I love the rosebud - oud freshness of the C&S. Dark Rose seems to have less and less silage every time I try it - it's just vanishing from my skin. Considering the price that is, well...

White Aoud seems well balanced, it's getting powdery now but still nice. Ok, 'nice' is not a good word here. It's definitely a scent pleasing to the nose but not really there. A slight hint of amber - but just very slight. I preferred the 'high-pitched' opening way better and I wish it would stay longer on me. Rather poor silage. I must give it another try.
    I've also been sampling Botrytis by Ginestet (honey that kills!) and I'm wearing Padparadscha now so everything else just drowns.

Again Thank you so much for the suggestions . I hope I'll be ordering samples soon.
    Last edited by Darwinia; 5th July 2009 at 05:55 PM.

White Aoud is different in that it travels very far from its fairly potent oud topnotes to an amber/vanilla base with nary a hint of oud. I agree with Vibert there is a lot of redundancy, and what's more some scents seem to have been rushed or unfinished; Orient Extreme is netiher oriental or extreme (it's a weird woody chypre thing without topnotes), Jasmine Full is just...well, it's just jasmine, and Vanille Absolu is just vanilla (I smell none of the spice or smoky notes others detect). There are what...a half dozen rose/ouds? It kind of makes me wonder what the motivation is for rushing these to market.

That said, there's also a lot of great scents and there's something for everyone.

If you're ordering from the US order direct - the price is about half what it is from most sites and you get the freebie 20ml of your choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    White Aoud is different in that it travels very far from its fairly potent oud topnotes to an amber/vanilla base with nary a hint of oud. I agree with Vibert there is a lot of redundancy, and what's more some scents seem to have been rushed or unfinished; Orient Extreme is netiher oriental or extreme (it's a weird woody chypre thing without topnotes), Jasmine Full is just...well, it's just jasmine, and Vanille Absolu is just vanilla (I smell none of the spice or smoky notes others detect). There are what...a half dozen rose/ouds? It kind of makes me wonder what the motivation is for rushing these to market.
    I gave White Aoud another go this morning and now, after two hours, I get a very culinary saffron note on a woody-ambery base
    Quality rarely comes with quantity - and I was kind of expecting that (that is not to say, of course, that Montale frags are low quality ) there will be frags less than perfect., While I'm still rather overwhelmed with the choice, I'm slowly getting an idea of what to expect.
    My sampling choices:
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Lime
    Aoud Leather
    Attar
    Louban
    Mukhallat (this one is not for me but my mom-in-law )
    Original Aouds
    Oud Cuir d`Arabie
    Royal Oud
    Steam Aoud

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    If you're ordering from the US order direct - the price is about half what it is from most sites and you get the freebie 20ml of your choosing.
    Do you mean Montale's website? I don't know if it makes sense for me to order from US because I'll be paying customs duties. Any idea about the prices in euros and ordering form France?
    I've read in another thread about the extra 20ml - that's one generous offer! Ooh, I'd love that.
    Last edited by Darwinia; 6th July 2009 at 09:02 AM.

My 2 cents, sorry if I'm off topic.

I have many montales myself, and learning that Pierre Montale used to create parfumes for Middle eastern royalty,( correct me if I'm wrong)
    led me to source some middle east parfum shops in my area.

And surprisingly, I found very similiar parfums but in oils which have amazing longevity like montale.
    Its smells alike, maybe not 100%. But if I were blindfolded I would not have known the difference!
    The owners do not know Montale and the parfume sold in their stores are hand blended.

Some parfum oils I have tried and bought, below similiar to Montale's
    They have so many, I jst bought a few to try
    The names are rather weird,

1000 flowers = Montale Auod Blossom, I would say 100% alike
    Rose Super = Montale Highness Rose 90% alike, I layer with FM un rose and Montale Aoud queen roses
    Lavender = Super strong version of Penhaligon Lavender

The oils are not expensive, and are sold in 3 / 6 / 12 mls
    So they are a great way to try out.

I'm not saying these oils are dupes of Montale, but they are good for layering with Montales, so they extend the longevity and projection of the perfumes. Thats what I do with these oils.

PM me if you are interested, I could get some for you, I plan to make another trip to buy more.. :P