Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Coffret, curious

A generous friend sent me a box of vintage minis, and included in that was one of those “Parfums de France” sets that they used to sell from duty-free carts on planes. I have tried some of the scents and they’re really not too bad -- there’s a green, a simple floral, a jasmine-based heavy floral and so on. The manufacturer was “Charrier Parfums 06220 Vallauris France. Ingredients list only “Ethyl alcohol” and “Fragrance.” The inside of the box has a photo of the Arc de Triomphe at night. The perfumes are “Windy,” “Africa,” “Air de France,” “Vagabond,” “Kabord,” “Shange,” “Gerine,” “Kinou,” “Folies de France,” and “Madisha.” Manufacturers include “St. Sauveur,” “A. Blanc,” “Amouroux,” “Parforomes France,” and Charrier. The bottles are about 1 1/2 ml, parfum strength. The packaging is slick paperboard with gold lettering and a symbol of the Eiffel Tower.

Does anybody know anything about these perfumes? I’m wondering if they’re knockoffs, who may have made them, how they came to be. These sets were very common in the 60’s and 70’s.

Thanks!
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Default Re: Vintage Coffret, curious

My daughter has just been to Paris on a school trip, and bought a 30ml bottle of Gerine, by Charrier Parfums, for her grandmother. Its unopened as yet, so I cannot vouch for the contents! Its in a cellophaned pink box, which has picture of the Eiffel tower. Years ago, I had a coffret similar to the one that you mention, and remember the quality being good. I particularly liked the Shange / Shango fragrance.

This company has been making souvenir type and sample boxes for donkeys years. I think since the late 18th c. They are a genuine company with a particular niche and still going strong with the same sort of stuff. It's not bad but I don't know if one perfume from them ever 'made it big'. Maybe they never tried for that. If it's the same one I found, they will still do it for you to this day if your company wants a perfume gift made.

It is a small company that manufactures such sets of perfumes on regular basis from olden days. The perfumes are of good quality so no harm using them. They manufacture such sets for promotional purpose.