Code of Conduct

Default Concentre D'Orange Verte by Herms vs Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferr

I'd like to have something fresh with good longevity and sillage. How do these two compare?
    Last edited by zliang; 11th July 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Default Re: Concentre D'Orange Verte by Herms vs Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferr

BM is most definitely the longer lasting of the two, but what it really boils down to, is if you want a bergamot citrus scent, or a bitter orange one.

Longevity:

EDOV: 15 mins
    BM: 3-4 hrs

Sillage:

EDOV: Next to none
    BM: below average

Of course if cost is a factor, then go for the BM... it is a great scent.

For my money however, EDOV (eau de cologne) is still the jewel in the crown of citrus fragrances.

Default Re: Concentre D'Orange Verte by Herms vs Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferr

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    For my money however, EDOV (eau de cologne) is still the jewel in the crown of citrus fragrances.
    EDOV is the original scent (1979) right? My inquiry is on the concentre flanker (2004)? How's it's longevity and sillage?

I've commented on its longevity and sillage in my post.
    My apologies - I wrote EDOV instead of CDOV.

In my last line I was simply stating that the EDC is my preferred concentration.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 8th July 2009 at 04:41 PM.

the thing is,
    BM smells lke pure sunthetics.... but very nice... therefor the good longivety.
    EDOV... smells very very natural and more complex but very poor longevity.

Smellwise i prefer EDOV.
    Longevity and easy useabble wise i prefer BM.... very cheap also.

Thanks, Dimitri & moreda. BM it is then.
    Last edited by zliang; 11th July 2009 at 02:45 PM.

There is a really good review of Bergamotto Marino at peredepierre.com. That review was responsible for my "blind" purchase and I really like it.

Concentre D'Orange Verte last many hours on me. I can still smell it before showering the next morning. I always put one spray on my clothes, which no doubt helps, but then I do that for every fragrance.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I realize that CDOV by Hermes is marketed mainly for men, but since I know and love CDOV I just had to butt in here. Of the 8 other frags in my humble collection, CDOV has the very best sillage and longevity. It is the only frag of mine which I notice throughout the day without even trying to. I always think, "mmm what's that wonderful smell" before I realize it's myself. Other frags seem to disappear on me, so this one's a gem IMHO. Smells even better on my sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    I realize that CDOV by Hermes is marketed mainly for men, but since I know and love CDOV I just had to butt in here. Of the 8 other frags in my humble collection, CDOV has the very best sillage and longevity. It is the only frag of mine which I notice throughout the day without even trying to. I always think, "mmm what's that wonderful smell" before I realize it's myself. Other frags seem to disappear on me, so this one's a gem IMHO. Smells even better on my sweetie.
    I think both the Orange Verte's are perfectly unisex...I think it would be a pleasure to smell it on a woman (for a change).

I really like Bergamotto Marino, but it definitely has more of a synthetic vibe in the aqautic drydown (as mentioned above). The Hermes is more natural smelling, but lacks comparable longevity because of it.

Both are excellent...tough choice!

Sur la Plage

I think either would be a good choice. But if I had to pick one over the other, I would go with Bergamotto Marino.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

BTW, EdOV and CdOV have been praised as the best citrus scent here. How about YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    BTW, EdOV and CdOV have been praised as the best citrus scent here. How about YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration?
    YSL PH HC is very strong. I almost OD on this after 2 sprays to the neck. I consider it a love-hate frag...along the lines of Kouros. But i just love it and i'm looking forward to using it the next time.

YSL PH HC is all about lemons and completely different from EdOV and CdOV.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    YSL PH HC is very strong. I almost OD on this after 2 sprays to the neck.
    How's the sillage and longevity?

Longevity is above average. I notice that in hot humid weather like ours, the moment your body heats up the lemon note comes back again. I find that extremely refreshing.

Sillage is above average too (like all ysl frags). Anything more than 2 sprays to exposed skin will definitely attract unwanted attention.

CdODV, by far, even though I regard it as analogous to Eau Sauvage.

FBM is an eau de cologne reminiscent of the Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle bunch wanting to play it as an intense eau de cologne, thus failing in its efforts - "long play" Eaux de Cologne are sort of a passage to unnaturaliness or "synthetism", IMHO.

It is stronger, longer lasting and cheaper than CODV, so this might as well be taken in consideration, for it is not, per se, unwearable. Just not as good as CdODV.

I love the Concentree - bought it after going through what seemed like gallons of the original Cologne, which I adored but didn't want to be bathing in all the time. The CDOV has a decidedly mossy aspect as it wears down, which puts it on the borderline of chypre territory. That combo of bitter orange and shadowy moss really hooked me.

I can't comment on the Ferre scent but you can't go wrong with Concentre D'Orange Verte.