Code of Conduct

Default Fresh/Sporty scent that's a cut above the rest.

Let me just say, about half an hour ago, I was a proud owner of Liz Claiborne Sport, until my sister in law decided to snag that instead of the bottle I was trying to get rid of *damn you Nautica Blue, why are you still here?* For the price she bought or offered to trade, I wasn't at a loss, but I think I'm going to miss that frag,because to me, it filled a gap of when I just wanted to smell good, fell fresh, maybe a bit soapy, light enough to forget, but heavy enough to project itself real good. . .

So now I have a gap in my drobe that's wanting to be filled...
    so Here I am, asking for suggestions again...

as some of you "might" have gathered, I've no problems with blind buying, about 85% of my drobe consists of blind buys, I just don't find it right to spend cash on samples, and to try from retail stores where I'm 100% not going to buy from there (since it's 1/4th the price online and about 1/2 the price where I buy elsewhere, but is a plane ride away)

from what I read, I'm looking at:

Alure Homme Sport
    Dior Homme Sport
    Versace Pour homme (?)

I'm not ending the list there, So I'm pretty much open to anything else.

P.S. I have PE Red, which is an AdG clone, got the 100ml for 24$, and wouldn't probably pay a cent more for what it is, It's boring, but it has its place. so I wouldn't want anything that's very similar.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    Last edited by TimothyX; 5th September 2009 at 01:28 PM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Default Re: Fresh/Sporty scent that's a cut above the rest.

Have you felt the power of Norway? Try Geir Ness.

Chrome
    Dior Homme Sport
    Love and Luck
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche

Also, something very rarely mentionned here is Izod. To me it just smells amazing qith overly decent sillage and longevity. Very cheap as well.

Racquet's Formula

Blog Entries

I'd have to say that Versace Pour Homme would fill that gap. Haven't tried Dior Homme Sport yet (but want to), but to me Allure Homme Sport was quite a bit warmer than I was anticipating from a "sporty" cologne. It sure wasn't that "fresh", or "soapy", or "light enough to forget" to me. The Versace was though, and another one that was to me, if you haven't tried it yet, is Mugler Cologne.

Oh, and +1 on the Izod stevo30. Mine just arrived yesterday.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 5th September 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    when I just wanted to smell good, fell fresh, maybe a bit soapy, light enough to forget, but heavy enough to project itself real good. . .
    MPG Centaure fits the bill, although I doubt you could go wrong with the Versace or Penhaligon's frags mentioned.

Monotheme Fine Fragrances Venezia - Scottish Lavender is very refreshing, soapy, light ... but it's not so long-lasting.

+1 for Versace PH. Its an aquatic for the more mature man. I agree that Allure Sport is a bit too warm in the dry down to be fresh and sporty. I got Dior Homme Sport and i admit that i hardly reach for it these days. I don't get an aquatic vibe fr it, mostly i get a very strong ginger dominant citrus frag...doesn't really last long either. Here are some suggestions:

Solo Loewe - its fresh, citrusy, woody and warm. everything i like in a frag is embodied in Solo Loewe. One of my best buys so far..Thanks matt for the suggestion. If not for its high price i would be using this more often.

Bulgari Aqua - This frag is becoming Basenotes official designer aquatic of choice. One of my favourites. Nothing much i can comment that's been said b4 on BN.

Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude - A underrated sweet woody aquatic with good longevity and average sillage. It will never offend but will stand out from other aquatics.

YSL L'Homme - Well constructed and versatile for day and night. I get good longevity from this. Always criticized on BN but has its fans too.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 5th September 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    This one, when I searched here in BN, I've read the reviews before, No idea why, maybe it was suggested before, but it's starting to interest me more, although the bottle is somewhat expensive, I'll be sure to get that when a good deal comes along.

Chrome: there's something I've been curious about, and haven't smelled it,ever. I'd be glad If I find it to be a good frag, because unlike in the US or everywhere else, Azzaro is pretty much an unknown brand where I'm from. so I'll give that a try or a buy soon.

Izod: Might be worth a try, still a bit skeptical, but we'll see.

oh and for the niche suggestions, I'll be sure to keep a list of those, and look at em' when the time is right.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

My favorites in this genre are:

Creed Millesime Imperial

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

Tiffany for Men Sport

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Definitely check these out, because in my opinion, they are definitely a cut above the rest.

Make every effort to avoid the cheap crap. As your tastes evolve, you will more than likely regret spending any money on such generic, boring and predictable fragrances. You will then be left attempting to sell such undesirable fragrances or perhaps just give them away.

Best,

TJ

The scent I wear whenever I'm playing sports is Silver Mountain Water.

Hey Tiger, those suggestions sound awfully good, and I'll have to get samples or bottles of those real soon, and yes, I think I am very slowly starting to ditch bottles even after 2-3 wearings, I Ditched D&G PH a while back since I was really dissapointed, It's the first bottle I gladly payed Full retail for, and was dissapointed on how quick it leaves my skin, I want to give it another try and get myself a smaller bottle next time since I think the bottle I had might have been bad (i'm sure it's one of the older older bottles of D&G PH) and I'm currently trying to get rid of Nautica Blue and Polo Double black (ok scent, zero staying power, and for something so fleeting, It has to be atleast really interesting, sadly, it isn't)

but I don't regret much from blind buying chepo designer stuff, since it costs me about 1/4 the retail here, and If I don't like it, I can pass it on for 1/2 the retail or twice as much as I payed for it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    I wd buy this just for its seemingly irreverent name. Btw just how do you pronounce this frag? guy-er ness? gear-nest? gay-ness?

Btw, I tried Dior Homme Sport. Not impressed at all.
    I find Paul Smith Story cleaner than marine-like Bvlgari Aqua.

And if you don't mind smelling like soap, give Prada Infusion d'Homme a try. This may well be my go-to gym scent.

Allure Homme Sport
    Platinum Egoiste
    Silver Mountain Water

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    This one, when I searched here in BN, I've read the reviews before, No idea why, maybe it was suggested before, but it's starting to interest me more, although the bottle is somewhat expensive, I'll be sure to get that when a good deal comes along.
    I think Geir Ness is price fixed but I don't know how or why. It seems every site sells it for the exact same price. If you've tried and liked Allure Homme Sport, try Geir Ness. I think it's less expensive than the Chanel and I believe if you have one, you'll satisfy the desire to have the other.

Z Zegna fills this to a t.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Dependent

I bought Banana Republic's Slate sometime back, and I figure the price of it has become more affordable since. It is not a breakthrough fragrance, but is definitely one citrus based scent that I found to be very very decent, and much better than many generically similar scents. The bottle and casing is something I figure you may really fancy

Sur la Plage

Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

my favs have all been mentioned already, so its jut +1 on

Versace pour homme, Eau Fraiche
    Chanels Allure Blanche
    Silver Shadow Altitude

Versace Man Eau Fraiche for men

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    +1!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

AromiErotici

I have found I like Zara Sandalo to wear at the gym or work as well. It's light and smells fresh / clean.