Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

I tried this for the first time last night. I love lavender and mint - so this seemed like a no-brainer. I'm a long time fan and own both Caldey Island Lavender Water and AA Lavande Velours by Guerlain.

I was unprepared for the sharp, assaulting tone of the lavender - wow! I've heard some complain about lavender being too sharp, and I never experienced this myself until I tested this scent. The mint seems to amplify the medicinal aspect of the lavender. If I sniff my skin close up the combo of the two veers into 'industrial cleaner' territory (Ajax?).

Longevity kind of sucked too - only maybe an hour or so, then it was very faint on my arms.

As a fan of No. 88 and Neroli, I really wasn't prepared to dislike this one.

Default Re: Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

I only tried it once, briefly and I did not find the lavender to be sharp or assaulting. There are lavenders out there that I can't handle too well for sharpness, so I sympathize.

The thing that struck me was the mint was definitely peppermint and to me that made it interesting.

I need to retest it soon and develop a fuller impression.

I had a similar experience with this at first. I found it to be kind of gross to begin with, very medicinal and simply too much for me. The sharpness died down pretty quickly for me and it was quite likable after that.

The longevity was quite good on my skin although not as good as, say, Cuba or Neroli. I'm a freak like that though (Ask me how long L'artisans last on me... allllll daaaay), so your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by alacious; 8th July 2009 at 08:27 PM.

just got this today in a swap...
    it's nice....nothing outstanding...but I like it good enough...
    Its been on now for approx 3 hrs and still strong....so its a keeper for me.
    I like most of the C&S scents.

The soft lavender drydown is the best part of the scent, and one should try to avoid the sharp top notes, you will be pleased. I quite like the balance of mint and lavender, and for some reason the mint reminds me of a delicious mint sauce so traditionally famous in south Asian cooking. Is it bottle worthy wardrobe stuff? Maybe not for me but worth a try should a good deal come by.
    This goes into my top three favourite C & S scents, the other two being No 88 and Neroli.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 6th September 2009 at 06:01 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I like it a lot, only if it lasted more than a couple of hrs.

I don't find this lavender to be sharp at all, but the reason why I'm posting, Mike, is that you should try Nicolai Pour Homme (PdN) if you aren't already a fan, you probably will be.
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

I'm a big fan of "Oxford & Cambridge". The initial notes are strong and medicinal - but they remind me of real lavender. The dry down is fantastic. It stays very close to the skin, but lasts a good 4 hours.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I like C&S Oxford and Cambridge. To me, it seems like their version of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, substituting lavender for lemon. The minty-herbal-medicinal core is similar, and I can appreciate that sort of scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I recognize this one is not for everyone, but I for one like it quite a bit. I appreciate the mint and medicinal quality of C&S Oxford & Cambridge lavender. When I feel a need for an aromatherapy like cleansing scent - this minty lavender really does the trick for me. It was my daily fragrance for over a year back in the 1990's and I'm working through my third bottle (it took 10 years). So I am committed to it I guess.

The sharpness that you notice departs really quickly leaving a very nice lavender essential oil scent. It is medicinal. The mint softens the medicinal quality and gives it a slight edge over Caldey Island Lavender. Oxford & Cambridge has the distinct odor of Spike Lavender which is a sharper, greener more medicinal French variety of lavender as opposed to the more often used Lavandula angustifolia lavender oil which is softer. Spike lavender has a high camphor ketone content and this camphorous (think Vicks vapo rub) minty lavender has curative qualities especially for chest congestion conditions as well as other infectious concerns. I just like the way it smells though. This is different from the more traditional mens lavender scents that are an English tradition and are softer. Tastes differ, of course, and this is an unusual one, but I wanted to offer a thumbs up for an old favorite. Anyplace you need a super clean lavender cleansing scent, this one works really well. I like it before bed!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 9th July 2009 at 05:28 PM.

I tried a sample of this scent and found it somewhat similar to Serge Lutens' Encens et Lavande. It's not bad-- I like it, but I think the price is a bit crazy for such a simple lavender based scent.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I like C&S Oxford and Cambridge. To me, it seems like their version of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, substituting lavender for lemon. The minty-herbal-medicinal core is similar, and I can appreciate that sort of scent.
    Odysseusm - that's it! I see the similarity now. I also detest BB (headache inducing)...so this makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    It's not bad-- I like it, but I think the price is a bit crazy for such a simple lavender based scent.
    I entirely agree. Caldey Island Lavender is such a great value, I'm definitely getting another bottle when my current one runs out.

I love C&S O&C. Nothing else has that exceedingly natural smelling "surrounds" for the excellent lavender note. The oakmoss is breathtaking and the whole thing majestic.

Caldey does have a wonderful lavender but I'm deterred somewhat by the large vanillic musk which sits underneath it.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Too bad the opening throws you Mike. O & C evolves to a beautiful lavender heart, the most natural I've experienced.

I'd happily endorse the above recommendation for PdN Nicolai pour Homme.

I have been using this a fair amount recently. Despite being initially repulsed by it, there was something within the spirit of Oxford & Cambridge that suggested that I should persevere. Here I am some six months later, and I absolutely adore the dry down. The opening is a little daunting for some, but it really gives the wearer a great lift after application. It stops showing its teeth after a short while, and it develops a delightful herbal aura that feels very masculine. It just goes to show, some fragrances are worth the wait. I really "get" O&C now, for me its a winner.

The very best aromatic lavender I know. It's exactly what Czech & Speake claims to be: Makers of fine aromatic toiletries ....
    If you're disturbed by the opening of Oxford & Cambridge, you have to experience Cuba. That one makes me feel very uncomfortable after application.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I must admit that I dislike this fragrance as well.

To me, an English gentleman's lavender fragrance should feel fresh and invigorating after a nice hot shave. This fragrance has a rather dirty drydown that I do not associate with this kind of clean feeling.

In full disclosure, I do not like any of the C&S fragrances I have sampled, except for Citrus Paradisi and perhaps Neroli.

TJ